Mt. Baldy ski day?

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Anyone up for a ski day at Baldy? I'm talkin when they get some more snow. They probably got a few more inches today. When they get a few more feet I will post back up. Pray for snow. Powder to the people!!:)

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Too funny, the peak between Alta and Snowbird is Mt. Baldy also... It snowed probably two feet there overnight, so I thought you were local for sure :) (I was also going to say be careful with Avalanche conditions!)

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
People ski at Mt. Baldy....??

Sorry, could not resist! I generally stop below the ski lift parking lot about where the road goes up to San Antonio falls at 6k feet. Depending on the time of year I'll hike or snowshoe up to the old ski hut at 8k feet. If time/weather/conditions permit I'll go up the bowl or the ridge route to the summit at 10k.

Every so often I'll take the old rickety ski lift up to the notch and then go across the Devil's Backbone route to the summit. You can get some really cool alpine-ish conditions there.

baldy5fb9.jpg

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Cool pictures.
It's been several years but I've had some good days skiing the bowl above the hut. The Backbone has some really steep chutes that are blast to ski in the right conditions.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
kellymoe said:
Cool pictures.
It's been several years but I've had some good days skiing the bowl above the hut. The Backbone has some really steep chutes that are blast to ski in the right conditions.

Hey! You are a little crazy! I don't own skis anymore but maybe we'll have to try to meet over near Baldy anyhow...

psychohawk

Observer
I'm planning to hike/snow shoe there Christmas Eve morning ... it's a good little hike and like another poster said, park below, hike to ski hut, carry on to summit if you wish ... about 10k feet ... good, local winter hike. Easy to get to.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
psychohawk said:
I'm planning to hike/snow shoe there Christmas Eve morning ... it's a good little hike and like another poster said, park below, hike to ski hut, carry on to summit if you wish ... about 10k feet ... good, local winter hike. Easy to get to.

I'm working Christmas eve or I would be up for that. Pray for snow:wings:

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
The weather forecast is calling for a series of 3 storms starting Thursday night and lasting into Monday, each one getting colder. The snow level will start out around 6500-7000 feet and drop a few thousand feet by Monday. There is a good chance of a few feet of snow being dumped on Baldy as a result. I am trying to get permission:) for a quick day trip next week sometime, maybe Monday or Thursday. If interested let me know. I need to get a few runs in before I head up to Whistler in February:wings:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

kellymoe said:
The weather forecast is calling for a series of 3 storms starting Thursday night and lasting into Monday, each one getting colder. The snow level will start out around 6500-7000 feet and drop a few thousand feet by Monday. There is a good chance of a few feet of snow being dumped on Baldy as a result. I am trying to get permission:) for a quick day trip next week sometime, maybe Monday or Thursday. If interested let me know. I need to get a few runs in before I head up to Whistler in February:wings:

I'm watching also........

But how do I do this?

I would like to head up to Big Bear for the stormy weekend. But do I camp out and Freeze......make it a one day deal........or do I make it two days.....and pay $81.00 for a Motel 6.......Yikes! ..........I hate that!

Can I pull stuck drivers out of the ditch.....and pay for my motel room>?!!!:wings:

New Winter Bumper Sticker..........

"Will Pull Stuck Drivers out of Ditches.....for Motel Money"..............!:shakin:

Big Bear Weather........ http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=big+bear+lake+ca.

http://www.bigbearscanner.com/ <~LIVE Emergency Radio......Hwy. Travel info

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne