The Wrong Way Round World Tour

Hunter2

The vehicle was delivered to the shipper WWL on Friday, April 12th to cross the Pacific enroute to Vladivostok for the trip across Asia to Europe. It arrived in Halifax in May 2009 for the crossing of North America including heading north up the Dempster Hwy. to Inuvik in the Canadian Arctic and the Dalton Hwy. to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. The vehicle remained in Canada for two shorter trips in 2010 in B.C. and last year down the Pacific Coast on the way to Arizona.

With the suspension rebuilt, new tires fitted and general servicing completed, it was ready to cross from Vancouver to Yokohama before going on from Japan to Vladivostok.

The vehicle...a modified 1974 Austin Mini Van with long range fuel tank, full length aluminum skid plate and all the spares, tools and gear needed to accomplish the 6,300 mile leg across Russia to the Ukraine before crossing Europe to the UK.

Here it is:

My Scottish friend Diddy Dave, who hails from the Isle of Mull and who built the Van for this purpose, will be making the solo run from the Pacific Ocean to Europe and home.

As he makes photos and story bites available I will post for him on this thread. He has a Facebook page entitled "The Wrong Way Round" where some of the earlier travel is covered.

Last edited:

diddydave

The Wrong Way Round

Hi Rick, Many thanks for getting me started on this Fantastic site and as you will be aware I have covered a great deal of distance in my little British Minivan since I first shipped the Vehicle out of the UK back in 2009.In that time I have been to all your Provence's in Canada, crossed the Arctic circle twice and driven the Haul road to Prudhoe bay in Alaska before heading down the Pacific coast with you and Elaine in 2012,what a trip that was after Cracking my Cylinder block and Head in the Desert of Arizona. I will do my best in the coming Months to post once I get to Japan then on through Russia...........I am keeping an eye on North Korea, I only touch there for a short time. As you know I have a Facebook site called The Wrong Way Round that covers my Adventure right from the start with the building of the Vehicle and the early days on the road.

deebeetoo

Diddy Dave!!! It's great to hear that the adventure is continuing. You've been an inspiration since our paths crossed at Mini Meet West in Penticton back in the summer of '10! I'm looking forward to future instalments of your odyssey. Did you remove your Superwinch, or is Rick's photo pre-winch?

Don

DSCN1631.jpg DSCN1636.jpg

diddydave

The Wrong Way Round

Hi Don, Great to here from you...............yes I am still on the journey and have done a lot since I saw you all that time a go. I am at Ricks for few more weeks as the Mini is on the high sea's to Japan................I have made a site up on Facebook and called it The Wrong Way Round, have a look at it see what you think. Diddy

Hunter2

Diddy Dave got started from Vladivostok at 5 a.m. June 7th local time...after a delay of 4 days getting his vehicle from customs.

He logged 12 hours driving on Day 1 and 17 hours driving on Day 2 to make up for the lost time.

He should be in the vicinity of Lake Baikal/Irkutsk as I write this.

Fellow motoring adventurers on the ferry to Vladivostok from Japan included two Brits with motorcycles and one Aussie driving a Hillman Imp to Moscow on the way to the Imp's 50 year anniversary party in the UK. The Imp has a spare tire, no spare parts or tools...

If you are on Facebook, go to The Wrong Way Round to see photos from Japan, the ferry trip and the 4 day wait in Vladivostok.

Not sure when we can expect updates now.

Hassijohn

I am keeping a bird eye view on Queenland I just touch there for a brief time.
You know I have a Facebook site called The Wrong Way Round that blankets my Adventure right from the begin with the raising of the forklift and the early days out and about.

Hunter2

Diddy Dave has dashed across Russia, through the Ukraine and is now in Poland...and thinking about the crossing of the English Channel to the UK and on home to the Isle of Mull in Scotland.

Best to go onto Facebook and look at The Wrong Way Round where Diddy has posted photos from Japan onwards. Emailing and posting to anywhere has been difficult crossing Russia, not much better in the Ukraine and Poland.

G0to60

Observer
Just spent the better part of 3 hours reading over his adventures over the last few years. Fantastic!

Hunter2

This surely must be one of the shortest threads...and Diddy Dave's dash across Russia on 12" wheels/tires amongst the quickets.

First, he had a 30-day Visa for the trip across Russia from the Pacific port of Vladivostok, exiting into the Ukraine. He was to arrive no earlier than June 3rd and exit no later than July 2nd.

He arrived and cleared immigration on June 3rd...but it took 4 days before the Van was released...so he started behind schedule and drove long hours over the first four days to "catch up". His experiences over the 4 days, crazy Russian drivers, no road signs etc. etc. saw the quick launch much like a slingshot.

He was headed west, fast, very fast...and was not only into the Ukraine by July 2nd, but through the Ukraine, Poland, Germany, Belgium, across the English Channel, the required MOT stop (passed), north through England to Scotland and over the 2 ferries to home on the Isle of Mull...on July 2nd!

Whew!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles