Off road Casita project.

Jiwa

First thread in EP.

My Off Road Casita! Bought a used Casita from the Naval MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) department in Barstow, CA. They had 4 of them! i won the best one.. Love Government Liquidations.... It is the 16' Spirit model, fully self contained, nothing like having a shower and using the bathroom out of the gusting wind and blowing sand, after hiking and riding all day! Plus being able to stay inside when the weather turns to crap is a nice option.
Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 11.10.03 AM.jpg

here's a link to auction and some of the OG pics of how it used to look.
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=5790354&convertTo=USD

Nice shot of the pickup location in Barstow, showing the 14" rims, bare tires, stripes, dirt grime, etc.
IMG_1566.jpg

a/c holes and vents
IMG_1573.jpg

no a/c holes and vents, plus stripe removal and gel coat repair
IMG_1601.jpg

Took the trailer to the guys at N County Spring in Escondido, where they cut off the Torsion axle, built a bomb proof subframe and put on a 3500# axle with leaf springs, they also extended the back bumper, race ready tire mount ( overkill ), extended the front hitch area to accommodate 4 batteries, and a spot to put a rack on for my Husky TE 310.
IMG_1812.jpg

good shot of the front tongue, receiver hitch and Max Coupler, awesome
IMG_1813.jpg

side shot attached to my Super Charged 00 Tundra
IMG_1825.jpg

nice shot of the AC patch and gel coat repairs
IMG_1826.jpg

booty shot and tire rack
IMG_1827.jpg

almost Ready for the Camino Del Diablo, will post pics of the inside remodel once i get rolling on it!

Jiwa

saved for inside pics, upgrades will include.

- 40 gallon under bed water tank to offset the weight of the bike on the front.
- new reefer
- new floors
- awning
- new cabinets

Last edited:

uscg2008

Explorer
Damn that things cool. They have a couple of the 13footers here at the mrw here in kodiak and I always wondered what they would look like lifted up a bit. Matches the truck nicely, you got a build for that?

Jiwa

thanks guys, ill try and get some frame shots, pretty amazing what they did, also Hansrober i have Husqvarna TE310, its great bike.

TexGX

Explorer
Welcome to the club. Check out Casita Travel Trailer forum for a ton of information. The Casita Club forum is also good. Looking forward to your build.

TexGX

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Very nice! Hope mine will look like this one day. Can you post any pics of the subframe and suspension?

Jiwa

i start the interior next week, in the interim ill crawl under the rig and get some tie in shots.

TexGX

Explorer
Any updates? I am starting to think about improving mines off-road durability. Any issues?

TexGX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior