Project Alpha Bound II: Electric Boogaloo

ab1985

Explorer
Any suspension upgrade plans? What will the total weight of the Campteq be, with half roof removal?
My stock suspension is in good shape, but the plan has always been to upgrade at some point. I've scratched my head quite a bit, but I've stopped short of making any decisions until I understand what the full load profile looks like with reinforced aluminum top, steel bumpers, camping gear, etc... If I had to guess I would say a heavy OME setup with 2-3" of lift and slightly larger tires, but we'll see. The great thing about the 80 series is that it's formidable in its stock configuration so until I exceed to weight limits theres nothing forcing me to make a decision or keeping me from going outside to play.

ab1985

Explorer
I got several things done today. Most weren't very pic worthy, but sometimes you have to hunker down.

BF4F5D3F-1003-4A93-8781-88373AF1EFED-2417-0000020F554C26F9_zps7f54284a.jpg

I mounted the White Knuckle Offroad Sliders - awesome. That's all I have to say as far as product and customer service. Highly recommend:

26BB1D8B-22CE-46DC-BF46-4E9EF964F780-2417-000002109411B3D3_zpsf4e7ae70.jpg

Scored a junkyard BFG AT spare from a 4Runner last weekend for $30. Mounted her up:

LC049_zps56f257dd.jpg

LC004_zps2d24d718.jpg

I ran CB cable to a new antenna on the rear bumper, changed the oil with Mobil 1, pulled my Yakima roof bars, and tested my fridge on a Peak Performance power pack. I don't have full time 12V outlets in the truck now. I have a dual battery setup that I want to install later down the road. My thought was to run the fridge off the main battery while driving then use the power pack in camp. I only got 6 hours out of the power pack in hot weather. It might work, but I think I'll just replace my main battery and wire up a temporary full time outlet. I've never had problems running the fridge off the main battery for short spurts.

I'll tackle that tomorrow and get everything inventoried and packed. I've got a pretty busy week at work and I know I'll be pushing it just to leave by Friday morning. I want everything ready to go by sundown tomorrow night. I'd rather not be crushing it last minute.

Last pic for the day. Siblings:

LC011_zps08014802.jpg

ab1985

Explorer
I also received some great photos of the near completed top from CampTeq. They aren't worthy or posting here, but even for so-so cell phone pics the drool factor is off the chart. Very excited.:sombrero:

Last edited:

ab1985

Explorer
I was able to accomplish a few more things today. Ever since I bought the truck the start has been, what I deemed to be, somewhat labored. The Toyota 84 month battery looked alright, but I pulled it out and found this code stamped on the top:

95460961-6DA9-44AF-88F7-91B3E83D88A6-2417-00000264DD593256_zpsafd1a271.jpg

Cruiser Dan's explanation:

cruiserdan said:
Look on the top of the battery case. There should be a code branded into the top that would look something like "J6BL". The first two digits indicate the month and year the battery was made. In the example above the battery was made in October 2006, "J" being October and "6" being 2006. January is represented by "A" and so-on.

So this battery appears to have been manufactured in June of 2004. No bueno. Out with the old and in with the new. I ran wire for a full time 12V plug while I was in there, but I didn't have connectors for the posts. Will grab those tomorrow. I used a 15 amp fuse at the battery similar to what I used on my 4Runner. Should be fine for this trip.

LC006_zpsfb12c787.jpg

I also made a gas can spout, a poor man's shower mat, and went grocery shopping. I'll knock out a few things at work this week and hit the road bright and early Friday morning. Truck is packed:

LC001_zps330646d0.jpg

LC003_zps1e45f1ae.jpg

Room to spare:

45F37DE4-A05E-4041-BDFD-7F952137FAC4-2417-00000264D8A2A8FA_zps66347c9e.jpg

ab1985

Explorer
Now we cook.:chef: Beef jerky and lunchables were alright when I was 20. These days I like a little flavor and preferably some vitamins. I'll make a "soup" tonight and freeze it. This will be dinner for the first 3-4 days of my trip.

75F7A56B-3DE2-4B8C-89F9-045CA940AECD-2417-0000026843AC1AB7_zps86ac427e.jpg

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I'm am very impressed all packed up and only four days early! If I was doing what you were doing and picking up what you are picking up, I would have been packed up a month ago!:sombrero:

ab1985

Explorer
Couped up in the office. Story of my life. Luckily, Eric has been sending pictures of the top as he puts it together:

null_zps16f2cb95.jpg

null_zps5fa59293.jpg

null_zps1d7ce203.jpg

null_zps041bdbf5.jpg

Sempertoy

Explorer
Looking great man! Your 4runner was one of my favorite vehicles on the site and I'm loving your 80 so far!

I am so stoked for you that you are getting a campteq top. Those are awesome!

ab1985

Explorer
Thank you! Been following your build thread, too. You've got a sexy beast there. Love that rear bumper.:drool:

Danimal

Adventurer
Thank you! Been following your build thread, too. You've got a sexy beast there. Love that rear bumper.:drool:

Get a room, you two!

Kidding, of course. Still very, very excited about this trip and overall build. I have been checking this forum frequently the last few days just to check-in on this thread!

Dan

Sempertoy

Explorer
Get a room, you two!

Kidding, of course. Still very, very excited about this trip and overall build. I have been checking this forum frequently the last few days just to check-in on this thread!

Dan

Stay out of our love affair!

The rear bumper can only be described as a piece of art. It's made locally by a guy named Sean Houston. Even with shipping it's cheaper than other options out there. I've had a few spine jarring drops on it and the only marks are scraped off powder coat.

ab1985

Explorer
I've followed his thread on ih8mud and gone back and forth between that and a 4x4 labs bumper in my head. I'll use one or the other as a base - I couldn't come up with anything better than what those guys already have in production. I am not a big fan of dual swing outs, though, and will likely build a single swing out myself similar to the one on my 4Runner or Krazytoy's CBI bumper.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I also received some great photos of the near completed top from Campteq. They aren't worthy or posting here, but even for so-so cell phone pics the drool factor is off the chart. Very excited.:sombrero:

Today is your day!

We need pictures of the roof cutting and install process.

Go CampTeq!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier