Project Alpha Bound II: Electric Boogaloo

ab1985

Explorer
With my family growing, I decided last year to move into a larger vehicle. My 1st gen 4Runner is an amazing truck, and we made it work when there was only three of us. But with a second child on the way I parked the 4Runner and purchased a 80 series Land Cruiser. I'm confident this vehicle will serve us well and have begun tinkering with it a bit, so I figure it's time to start a proper build thread.

Stock FZJ80 40th Anniversary Edition w/ 110k on the clock:

LC013_zps483e0dcd.jpg

ab1985

Explorer
The only thing I had done to the vehicle as you see it pictured above was to replace the stock antenna with a rubber antenna. I bought the truck in March of 2012, and my second daughter was born in June. In August my oldest and I decided it was time to get away for the weekend, so we headed to Red River Gorge:

RedRiverGorge058_zps1d8d3b39.jpg

RedRiverGorge015_zps33f77804.jpg

Last edited:

ab1985

Explorer
By the time fall rolled around my youngest was old enough to travel so we decided to head to Great Smoky Mountain National Park for a week. This trip was kind of a stretch for my wife who thinks vacation should involve a beach, but it ended up being a great week and I think she is coming around:

Gatlinburg10-4-12014_zps83a1de1a.jpg

Gatlinburg10-4-12012_zpsa602cdd6.jpg

Gatlinburg10-4-12005_zps8b09020e.jpg

Gatlinburg10-4-12037_zps3b636ef0.jpg

gaitlinburg013_zps91a6d108.jpg

ab1985

Explorer
Although my wife is coming around to the idea of family camping, I don't think she will ever be as enthusiastic as I am. My daughter, on the other hand, loves it. So I need to set up my vehicle to accommodate all four of us when we're together, but realistically the most use it will see will be me or myself and my daughter (fingers crossed about the younger one). I purchased a RTT after our GSMNP trip, but after having multiple units damaged in shipment I scrapped that idea. We thought about buying a tow behind camper, but I don't have a place to store a trailer and I didn't like the idea of being confined to KOA campgrounds. When I saw CampTeq was offering a discount on the first five units it sold in 2013 I called Eric and placed my order.

Fast forward a few weeks. I'm driving from Prospect, KY to Aspen, CO on 4/28 where CampTeq will perform the surgery - yes, the roof must go. Eric offers a few options. You can mount the tent on top of your 80 series while leaving the entire roof intact. You can also do a mini cut (think rear sunroof), a half cut (just aft of the main cross support after the front sunroof), or a full cut. I opted for the half cut to take advantage of the interior space and gain standing room. This will allow us to leave most of the structural support from the roof while removing the sunroof glass to save weight.

I decided to take some time for myself while I am out that way. Last week, on a flyer, I sent in a reservation request for two nights on the White Rim Trail. By day's end I was confirmed for Airport and Potato Bottom! So I'll be heading to Canyonlands National Park for a few days for some testing after the install in Aspen. I'll probably stop in at Cruise Moab on my way out later that week. So now I need to do a few basic things to get the truck road trip worthy.

Last edited:

ab1985

Explorer
This setup will be temporary. I will use the base for my final storage system, but for now I just need to be able to lash down my gear for this trip. On the way out I will have empty propane and gas tanks stored inside. These will then end up temporarily stored on the roof once I get the pop top installed. Ultimately, these items will be installed on swing outs:

LC052_zps9644cb12.jpg

LC050_zps3e6d0878.jpg

LC059_zps320de645.jpg

LC054_zps73a37b87.jpg

LC060_zps89c7eb57.jpg

LC006_zpsb002eeb2.jpg

LC009_zps2a917d43.jpg

LC0102_zpsab283265.jpg

LC011_zps253449f5.jpg

LC001_zps3e7702e4.jpg

LC007_zpsa71ba53a.jpg

ab1985

Explorer
I also pulled the running boards and prepped a set of White Knuckle Off Road sliders which I will install next weekend:

LC010_zps20f6fa24.jpg

LC004_zpsc477dca0.jpg

NM-Frontier

Explorer
This is going to be an awesome build! You have got quite the plans for this thing, very exciting. I assume you will take lots of pics and document the roof cut and CampTEQ install, I know my self and every one else on expo can't wait to see how it will turn out. Have a great time in Utah you love it, that will be an awesome shake down run.
Also, nice choice in color!:sombrero:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
X2 on going to be an awesome build! I've been looking forward to seeing a Campteq come to life... lots of pics please.

ab1985

Explorer
Also, nice choice in color!:sombrero:
Thank you. Like many others, I spent extra time trying to find a low mileage sage 40th. I love the white ones, too, but something about this color really does it for me.

On the install, I plan to take as many pictures as Eric will allow without getting in the way. I enjoy reading all of the great build threads here on the portal, both of yours included, so I will do my best to give back and document everything in detail here.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I like the cargo set up, looks like a quick and easy way to keep things tied down. Also, are you running 255s and what are your impression on the size and using the stock 8" wide rims?

ab1985

Explorer
Tires are 265 KM2's. My impression on the tires and size are positive, although, I don't have anything to compare them to as they were already installed on the truck when I purchased it. I'm a fan of KM2's in general. I know some people gripe about their performance in the snow, but I don't have to worry about that much. The metric size converts to 31.6x10.4x16. I've run various size tires in this neighborhood on different 8" wheels between my Tacoma, 4Runner, and now the LC and never had a complaint.

The cargo setup is simple and should serve its purpose nicely for this trip. I pulled the 2nd row seats to extend the length of the platform to accommodate more tie downs and to have as few obstructions as possible during the CampTeq install. Man, with both 2nd and 3rd row seats removed your mind really begins to race with possibilities. :D

:safari-rig:

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
....the 28th can't get here fast enough. I bet you're like a kid before Christmas. I look forward to this build too. Any suspension upgrade plans? What will the total weight of the Campteq be, with half roof removal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste