Engineer Pass and trailers

TheThom

Adventurer
Here is one at the point south of the pass on the Ouray side.

Thom, I must admit this is my favorite area. I spend a lot of time there dragging my trailers all over the place. This was during the 2009 FJ Summit and we took it on everything but Black Bear.

No problems taking a trailer on any but Black Bear and Poughkeepsie. I actually had problems with this trailer in the creek going up due to the small stones being so wet and moveable, they seemed to push and build up, got to the wall by pass and decided to turn around, as we were alone.

Thom, I could spend every summer there no problem. Actually are looking at buying property in Ouray. Almost bought last year, but it has become a toss up now with Duck Creek, Utah. Closer to home is the main reason. Utah is my favorite state, but Ouray is my favorite area.

Bob

I actually grew up in Montrose until Jr High and still go back frequently. When I was a kid we would go swim in the Ouray hot springs pool in the middle of winter. My Navy commitment ends next summer and I've accepted a job in the San Luis Valley. Not as nice as Ouray, but maybe that'll spare me from some of the tourists :)

I'm looking forward to finding all of the spots only the locals know about :bike_rider: Be nice to me on here and I'll share

It is funny: I never appreciated how nice the area is until I moved away.....seems like it always goes that way

Chili

Explorer
Thank you all for the replies. The plan for my trip is to leave the Houston area of Texas, spend the night in New Mexico, and then go through Engineer Pass to the other side where we plan to camp. The trailer I'll have behind me is an old Bantam T3-C that I have reworked a little bit.

You will have absolutely no issues with a Wrangler and Bantam, IMO. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Going up to Engineer is the easiest, there is a pretty good hill headed the other way to Lake City, Hurricane or Cinnamon I can not remember. No problem to engineer from Silverton. All mountain roads with a short steep climb before the point below Engineer. You will have absolutely no problems. Be sure to stop at the point and look around for awhile, you can see a lot of the area from there.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

John E Davies

Adventurer
We'll be in Silverton area this 4th of July and I'm going to attempt to go over to Lake City with our Chaser.
Lake City is a VERY cool little town, with a great shake shop and small stores to keep your wife entertained for an hour or so. Also a very nice city park with lots of room for your trailer - a great place for a lunch break. There is a small grocery on the way out of town on the main road going north. Please spend a little cash in a shop, to help support the community. It relies a lot on traffic on the Alpine Loop, and is highly supportive of four wheeling of all kinds.

Drive through the surrounding neighborhoods and check out the many cool Victorian homes, and you may see a Unimog parked in front of one of them.

I really like Lake City. The best thing about it is that, because it is so isolated, there are no swarms of motorhomes and slack jawed tourists like in Silverton, Ouray, and Durango.

If you are a Suzy Bogguss fan like me :wings:, she will be performing there July 9..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vL_T02nFYY

http://www.lakecityswitchbacks.com/downtown-lake-city.html#.UW7QQYJYcfk

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

Chili

Explorer
Lake City is a VERY cool little town, with a great shake shop and small stores to keep your wife entertained for an hour or so. Also a very nice city park with lots of room for your trailer - a great place for a lunch break. There is a small grocery on the way out of town on the main road going north. Please spend a little cash in a shop, to help support the community. It relies a lot on traffic on the Alpine Loop, and is highly supportive of four wheeling of all kinds.

Drive through the surrounding neighborhoods and check out the many cool Victorian homes, and you may see a Unimog parked in front of one of them.

I really like Lake City. The best thing about it is that, because it is so isolated, there are no swarms of motorhomes and slack jawed tourists like in Silverton, Ouray, and Durango.

If you are a Suzy Bogguss fan like me :wings:, she will be performing there July 9..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vL_T02nFYY

http://www.lakecityswitchbacks.com/downtown-lake-city.html#.UW7QQYJYcfk

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Agree.. Lake City is awesome. One of these years we plan on getting a cabin near town instead of camping, so we can spend a good amount of time there. We usually only hit town a couple hours at a time, a couple of times in the week we spend in the area each year. We like to eat at Poker Alice's a couple of times and hit a few of the other shops for necessities and souvenirs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior