Official OZTENT review

Kcdude

Adventurer
Had a Rv-1 for a while with my 4Runner...rear hatch opens up perfectly up in to the peaked awning and makes a nice covered cook area.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Got my OZ through Bass Pro Shop in Denver. Free shipping on anything over $50, right to my door. Not in the store only on line.
First had a friend bring his over and set it up i the garage and my wife loved it. Ordered the next day, took a week to get here. We slept on 3 inch pads from REI and were totally comfortable. Nest time we will use cots to store thing under them.
Fits fine on top of the LR in the Front Runner rack using 'beeners' and bungie to hold it for travel. Bit hot in direct sun but I think in the woods it will be fine. Considering how it will act in Moab this fall.
30 sec to put up and another 5 min to stake it all out. Still better than anything else I have used. The stock stakes are very stout, not like the flimsy thin ones with most tents. Made in China but well done.
Installed 12V strip LED lights in the top front alum. head bar, there is a depression (slot) there that they fit into. Provide lots of light, not really for reading but can find my boots when it is dark outside. Run the lights off a plug in the back of the LR but they will operate off a simple 9V battery as well.
Seriously thinking of the side panels for a bit of side protection and a cooking space. Will put LED lights on the cross bar for light there too.
Love the tent.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I would like to hear from @Nullifier, after 8+ years, do you still have the RV-5 and how has it held up?

Ok so upon request here is an update. After 8 years of use the RV4 is still going strong. We have used it alot and couldnt be happier. By far this is the best tent I have ever owned both in quality and ease of operation. To boot my foxwing I got a few years later is also in great condition.

Every aspect of my RV4 tent is holding up well. Stitching, velcro, frame, floor, lines etc. The only issue that has come up is recent. The optional front panel is having an issue with the zipper on the mesh screen door. For some reason when I zip it all the way down it gets stuck. However I have not made time to look at it closely to determine the problem. I will look into it soon and post an update on that once I determine the issue. I am currently out of town but will try to post up detailed pictures of it next week or so.

I can say however that last fall I spent a week in it at Rendezvous in Uhwarrie. For those of you that were there, you know it rained all week. I got in at 1am in the rain. It was nice to just toss up the tent in 1 min, stake out the corners and go to sleep. The next day I set up all the panels and enjoyed a comfortable week in the rain. Not a single drop of water found its way in even though I do not have the optional fly. Can't ask for more then that out of an 8 year old tent!

NIVEK_TURK

Observer
Just got a call from the wife back home, my rv5 showed up Wed night. Cant wait to get home from this deployment and start using it. I will say this, the website I went through is very good towards military and I got it for a hell of a price. Hopefully it holds heat well I have a 15 day stay in November in Tennessee.

jerdog53

Explorer
I'll just put these here....
DSC09599_zpsggpqyaks.jpg

DSC09598_zpsaa3hopgo.jpg

DSC09601_zpspzddydew.jpg

Kcdude

Adventurer
Just got a call from the wife back home, my rv5 showed up Wed night. Cant wait to get home from this deployment and start using it. I will say this, the website I went through is very good towards military and I got it for a hell of a price. Hopefully it holds heat well I have a 15 day stay in November in Tennessee.

Care to share the website?

PDragon

Ok so upon request here is an update. After 8 years of use the RV4 is still going strong. We have used it alot and couldnt be happier. By far this is the best tent I have ever owned both in quality and ease of operation. To boot my foxwing I got a few years later is also in great condition.

Every aspect of my RV4 tent is holding up well. Stitching, velcro, frame, floor, lines etc. The only issue that has come up is recent. The optional front panel is having an issue with the zipper on the mesh screen door. For some reason when I zip it all the way down it gets stuck. However I have not made time to look at it closely to determine the problem. I will look into it soon and post an update on that once I determine the issue. I am currently out of town but will try to post up detailed pictures of it next week or so.

I can say however that last fall I spent a week in it at Rendezvous in Uhwarrie. For those of you that were there, you know it rained all week. I got in at 1am in the rain. It was nice to just toss up the tent in 1 min, stake out the corners and go to sleep. The next day I set up all the panels and enjoyed a comfortable week in the rain. Not a single drop of water found its way in even though I do not have the optional fly. Can't ask for more then that out of an 8 year old tent!

Thank you Nullifier for your original and 8 year reviews! I have been considering a RV-5 for a while, and your reviews are very helpful.

bunger

Adventurer
How do you guys transport your RV2+ tents? I'd love to get one, but my 6' truck bed won't fit a 78" OZ tent! Not sure I want to "settle" for the RV1. Carrying the tent on the roof seems kind of sketchy - I'd rather have it protected from the elements/prying eyes... Any ideas?

I carry my RV4 on my trailer using a couple of kayak carriers. The trailer is 6' long and the carriers are mounted to cross bars about 36" apart.
The whole tent seems to be well supported. I usually carry it with the bag zipper down to keep the rain out.

zelatore

Explorer
I carry mine on the roof rack of my LR3. It's an RV4 (would just go ahead and get the RV5 if I were doing it again....why not have a few extra inches of space?) so there's no way it's going to fit inside the vehicle. Never had any problems with it. It's held on with a couple ROCstraps front and rear. The only drawback is the wife can't lift it on/off the top of the truck so if I'm tied up doing something else it has to wait for me. I've had it out in 90* down to 15* in 18" of snow - no problems.

jerdog53

Explorer
Like Don, I carry my RV-3 on the roof rack, it is a bit of a chore putting it in the OEM roof rack with that rear spreader bar.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I also carry the RV3 on the Front Runner roof rack and use rubber rope (bungie) to hold it down. Zipper down to keep it a bit dryer in transporting. I put my solar panel under it to keep them both available as the panel doesn't get used till the tent is down anyway.
We have property in the mountains and have not built on it yet but do go there often. I made a platform to set the tent on so we have a level flat spot to sleep, it has been working well. Really like the tent. Just got sides for it to have a more sheltered area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke