Morally Flexible's Trailer Build - British Military Trailer

MorallyFlexible

Hi Everyone ... So first time poster long time lurker. After reading and rereading all of your builds I finally got the cash and balls to purchase a trailer to be designed and build into a Expedition Trailer. It will be a slow build because that's just how i roll. :ylsmoke: So the base platform I found in a salvage yard, its a British Military Trailer - Sal Kit Assembly. From the description it was used as a emergency lighting trailer to set up a airplane run way in cause the power went out.

** I know nothing about wiring, welding, weight distribution, construction, but one thing i do have ... a fearless attitude to build something personal and original. :)

1. 16-20 water tank
  2. Battery, Solar, generator and sure power setup
  3. Propane heater
  4. rooftop tent?

Original Picture:
Salkit_1.jpg

My Salvage Version:
20130302_144740.jpg
20130302_144751.jpg
20130310_133157.jpg
20130310_133335.jpg
20130313_145920.jpg
20130414_152003.jpg
20130414_153200.jpg
20130414_153235.jpg
20130414_153245.jpg

John E Davies

Adventurer
Wow, what an unusual trailer! What is the weight with all the electrical boxes and trays removed? What will the finished thing look like? Are you going to keep the tall roof?

I bet that weighed a zillion pounds with all those batteries installed. Why in the world didn't they just use a generator?

Welcome to the forum.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Arlo

Adventurer
Never seen this steel monster before.

The overrun unit looks like a Bradley?

Are there any more detailed pics saved?

Just post them.

MorallyFlexible

This is a very stout trailer. It's really a flat bed trailer with three walls mounted on top. I have these solid walls and figured I should atleast design version #1 off the original configuration. First step is to make it legal. Need to wire for my Tacoma. Need to pull out existing wiring and replace it. I'd like to wire up a fuse box at each end of the trailer for future config options.

Idea;
Mount solar panels on inside of door ... Then I could angle panels towards sun for optimal magical gamma rays or whatever. When doors are folded closed, the panels would be safe .

Roof rack: (center spine) strong enough to hold 2 people sitting on foldable chairs or just sitting. Maybe have rack unfold onto the top of t he door panels to create a wider rack ?

Slide out kitchen. 2 burner stove, grill and or griddle for breakfast

Propane generator or dual fuel ? ... Or a mountable rv
Generator. I feel like I should lean towards the individual component than integrated stuff.

climbingxj

That is a cool trailer. there's so much you could do with that. And the frame looks like it's in great shape as well. Good find and good luck with your build!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
What is the length and width of the trailer?
Are the two spaces big enough to sleep in?
Very cool trailer I look forward to your design.

MorallyFlexible

Training Video:

Windows Player:
http://www.metaliteaviation.com/military/video/moskit1.wmv

Apple Version:
http://www.metaliteaviation.com/military/video/moskit1.mov

Trailer Specification

Height (overall-laden with doors closed) 1800mm (71 inches)
Length (overall) 3734mm (147 inches)
Width (overall) 1644mm (65 inches)
Track 1112mm (44inches)

Weight
Full 1660 kg (3450 lb) *** Not sure what it weighs without all the bits and pieces. I'll find out when i make her legal ***

Vehicle Details
Nose load (approx. - with Trailer level) <100kg (221lb)
Wheel Rim Pressed steel, 5.5" x 14"
Tyre 185 R14C8PR
Tyre pressure 4.5 bar (65 psi)
Brakes Internal Expanding Drum. Auto-Reversing Type

Wheel bearing end float adjustment 0.15mm (0.006") MAXIMUM
Hitch (coupling) Hydraulically damped overrun mechanism. Fitted with 76mm NATO EYE as standard (others available), plus over-centre hand brake.

Trailer Lighting:
Light fittings 12/24 V, EEC approved fittings as standard

Inter-vehicle connector 12 pin NATO plug

Torque Settings:
Wheel nuts 50lb ft (67NM)
Hitch to 'A' Frame, fixings 65lb ft (88NM)
Axle to spring clamp, fixings 55lb ft (74NM)
Suspension to Chassis, fixings 35 to 40 lb-ft

MorallyFlexible

My plan is to put in lockable metal drawers on the whole base of the trailer. Then put some wood on top of that for the sleeping platform. I'd like to inlay in the wood some of those adjustabe silver mounting brackets you see in some of the drawer systems here. This way i can strap in whatever cargo i'm bringing, then at the site unpack and sleep in the trailer. I'd like to get a side tent for each side then run the tent around the back where i think the kitchen will be. Kitchen might be a mountable Chuck Box of some sort. I basically just go out back with pencil and paper and drawer up ideas. Some are reasonable and others have me setting up long beams in the Fork Lift spots to pull out and make a day bed onto that ...

MorallyFlexible

the poles that are mounted by the wheels come off and are adjustable, this is how i should attach a make shift awning for now ... this trailer was thought out, so may mounting points and the walls are reinforced, the roof we had 2 200+lbs men stand on top.

My idea is when my family goes camping, i have 3 brothers and 15+ niece and nephews that this trailer will serve as home base.

i was thinking about mounting two adjustable pole holders on the side of the trailer (front and back) to hold an awning (think suspended off the ground), but with the ability to raise it up so much, to make it a movie screen for a projector. Yes i know glamping ... but if I'm going to put something on this trailer, i want to make almost everything Dual Purpose.

I'm open for any suggestions or design ideas. :) The reason I'm on here is so many generous like minded people are here to help and support out crazy obsessions of camping and expeditions :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94