Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid Axle Cherokee / Grand Cherokee

Default Solid Axle Cherokee / Grand Cherokee

What were the last years that the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee were built with a Solid Axle front end?

thanks
    jg

Quote Originally Posted by jgolden
    What were the last years that the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee were built with a Solid Axle front end?
    01 for the Cherokee XJ, and 04 for the Grand Cherokee WJ

All Cherokees(XJ) had solid front axles. Then the puberty errr, I mean Liberty came out as its replacment.
    Scott "Chia" Holland
    05 NIssan Xterra

There is some argument as to where the Liverty or the Patriot is the replacement. And then there is that Compass thing... I have driven all of them quite extensively. The Liberty is by far the most solid feeling, the Patriot is actually quite nice on the street, and the Compass just kinda feels like a top heavy car. I find that especially interesting, since on paper the Compass and the Patriot are the same vehicle.

We actually have a 4x4 and a 4x2 Patriot sitting on our sales lot right now. They are within $400 of each other... The 2wd feels quite a bit faster. I have to wonder how slow the 4x4 would feel loaded with gear!
    BKCowGod - Northern, CA
    '95 Dodge Dakota - Big square V8 Beast Monster
    '93 Range Rover LWB - Long-term project status

Thanks for the input guys. The Grand Cherokee seems like a good platform for an Expo / Family 4x4 rig.
    Is it the only sealed cab SUV / Truck with a solid axle built in the last 5 years? (Not including fullsize Dodge / Ford)

Are Land Rovers still solid axle?

FYI - the ZJ Grand Cherokee also has a flat 5' 11" floor behind the front seats. I am getting a custom 3" foam mattress made for the rear, and bug screen on removable magnetic mounts for the rear pass windows. Factory tint provides discreet privacy, the gas tank gives over 300 miles of range easy. Including purchase price, I will have under $7000 invested to make it a perfect expo rig - 3.5" lift, F/R bumpers, 8k lb winch, two jerry cans, relocated spare, mattress, fridge, onboard air, two GPS units, Ham/CB, MP3 player, DVD player, wireless internet... and heated seats

Sorry... I used to hate american cars and now I find myself with two jeeps and only one BMW... I am converted...
    BKCowGod - Northern, CA

Quote Originally Posted by jgolden
    Thanks for the input guys. The Grand Cherokee seems like a good platform for an Expo / Family 4x4 rig.
    Is it the only sealed cab SUV / Truck with a solid axle built in the last 5 years? (Not including fullsize Dodge / Ford)
    Only other one I can think of would be the Ford Expedition, basically a Super Duty frame, drivetrain and suspension but with a Suburban type body. Up here they can be had used pretty reasonably priced. Definitely not a technical trail rig because of it's mammoth size, but would make a good Expo/family hauler.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Only other one I can think of would be the Ford Expedition, basically a Super Duty frame, drivetrain and suspension but with a Suburban type body. Up here they can be had used pretty reasonably priced. Definitely not a technical trail rig because of it's mammoth size, but would make a good Expo/family hauler.
    That would be Excursion, Expedition is IFS/IRS.
    OverlandHUB.com | Reno4x4.com

1998 Toyota 4Runner | 2005 Ford F-350

Quote Originally Posted by dennisuello
    That would be Excursion, Expedition is IFS/IRS.
    Thank you, I always get the two mixed up, Explorer, Expedition (F-150 based), than Excursion (Super Duty based). Can't Ford think of a model name for their SUVs that doesn't start with Ex?

they did just change the name of one of their Minivan/Crossovers to the "Taurus X"... Because the Taurus was such a fine vehicle.
    BKCowGod - Northern, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast