Solid Axle Cherokee / Grand Cherokee

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
BKCowGod said:
We actually have a 4x4 and a 4x2 Patriot sitting on our sales lot right now. They are within $400 of each other... The 2wd feels quite a bit faster. I have to wonder how slow the 4x4 would feel loaded with gear!

The 4x4 moves down the road pretty well when loaded down. Even with the 4 cyl and 5 speed, it does a great job once you get it going. Off the line they are kind of slow...but it pulls hills much better than my TJ with the 4.0L.

toledotimber

Observer
4Rescue said:
So only the WJ's with the full time case had the special diffs???
I don't know Grands too well, but I believe that's a correct way of looking at it.

4Rescue said:
What's really odd to me is how Jeep put a pretty good drivetrain in the new Grands but made them Car like low, and put a bunch of oddball spoilers hanging off of it. I guess that market segment shifted a bit over the years ;)
Totally agree here. One of the only reasons I didn't go with a Grand was that I'd have felt horrible cutting, drilling, and welding on one; now, I wouldn't even consider one--way too low and way too much plastic crap hanging off in every direction that would have to be modified or removed.

Lawrence

Adventurer
jgolden said:
Thanks for the input guys. The Grand Cherokee seems like a good platform for an Expo / Family 4x4 rig.
Is it the only sealed cab SUV / Truck with a solid axle built in the last 5 years? (Not including fullsize Dodge / Ford)

I'd look into the Toyota FJ Cruiser: It is extremely capable offroad, it has a ton of aftermarket support, it has a very reliable powertain, and you and your family can ride in comfort. My wife has one, and if it weren't for having too much money invested in my Jeep, we would have 2 FJCs. My $0.02.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier