Solid Axle Cherokee / Grand Cherokee

jgolden

Adventurer
What were the last years that the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee were built with a Solid Axle front end?

thanks
jg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
jgolden said:
What were the last years that the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee were built with a Solid Axle front end?

01 for the Cherokee XJ, and 04 for the Grand Cherokee WJ

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
There is some argument as to where the Liverty or the Patriot is the replacement. And then there is that Compass thing... I have driven all of them quite extensively. The Liberty is by far the most solid feeling, the Patriot is actually quite nice on the street, and the Compass just kinda feels like a top heavy car. I find that especially interesting, since on paper the Compass and the Patriot are the same vehicle.

We actually have a 4x4 and a 4x2 Patriot sitting on our sales lot right now. They are within $400 of each other... The 2wd feels quite a bit faster. I have to wonder how slow the 4x4 would feel loaded with gear!

jgolden

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys. The Grand Cherokee seems like a good platform for an Expo / Family 4x4 rig.
Is it the only sealed cab SUV / Truck with a solid axle built in the last 5 years? (Not including fullsize Dodge / Ford)

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Are Land Rovers still solid axle?

FYI - the ZJ Grand Cherokee also has a flat 5' 11" floor behind the front seats. I am getting a custom 3" foam mattress made for the rear, and bug screen on removable magnetic mounts for the rear pass windows. Factory tint provides discreet privacy, the gas tank gives over 300 miles of range easy. Including purchase price, I will have under $7000 invested to make it a perfect expo rig - 3.5" lift, F/R bumpers, 8k lb winch, two jerry cans, relocated spare, mattress, fridge, onboard air, two GPS units, Ham/CB, MP3 player, DVD player, wireless internet... and heated seats :D

Sorry... I used to hate american cars and now I find myself with two jeeps and only one BMW... I am converted...

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
jgolden said:
Thanks for the input guys. The Grand Cherokee seems like a good platform for an Expo / Family 4x4 rig.
Is it the only sealed cab SUV / Truck with a solid axle built in the last 5 years? (Not including fullsize Dodge / Ford)

Only other one I can think of would be the Ford Expedition, basically a Super Duty frame, drivetrain and suspension but with a Suburban type body. Up here they can be had used pretty reasonably priced. Definitely not a technical trail rig because of it's mammoth size, but would make a good Expo/family hauler.

dennisuello

Adventurer
Haggis said:
Only other one I can think of would be the Ford Expedition, basically a Super Duty frame, drivetrain and suspension but with a Suburban type body. Up here they can be had used pretty reasonably priced. Definitely not a technical trail rig because of it's mammoth size, but would make a good Expo/family hauler.

That would be Excursion, Expedition is IFS/IRS.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
dennisuello said:
That would be Excursion, Expedition is IFS/IRS.

:oops: Thank you, I always get the two mixed up, Explorer, Expedition (F-150 based), than Excursion (Super Duty based). Can't Ford think of a model name for their SUVs that doesn't start with Ex?:shakin:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
they did just change the name of one of their Minivan/Crossovers to the "Taurus X"... Because the Taurus was such a fine vehicle.:shakin:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
jgolden said:
Reliability IS an issue. You've been warned. The solid axles used are less durable than some of our IFS suspensions. The transfersace/4wd system is really killer, espescialy in the WJ, as it basicly has F/R lockers.

toledotimber

Observer
BKCowGod said:
There is some argument as to where the Liverty or the Patriot is the replacement.
I can't imagine why there's any argument about it. I thought it was common knowledge that the Liberty was the replacement, and the Patriot and new Liberty got their styling due to the backlash about the earlier Libby's reputation as a girl Jeep.

toledotimber

Observer
4Rescue said:
The transfersace/4wd system is really killer, espescialy in the WJ, as it basicly has F/R lockers.
I believe that only those WJs with the NV147 (Quadra-Trac I) and NV247 (Quadra-Drive) use the gerotor differentials. The NV147 doesn't have a neutral or low-range, though, and some WJs also came with the NV242 (Selec-Trac). I know there's another one I'm forgetting, but when those viscous couplings go out (when, not if) the owner's looking at a very expensive repair. Most just swap in a 231 or 242 t-case after that happens.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Haggis said:
Lets not have a repeat of the Commanche thread.
Fair anough, but I feel like if people are asking questions about vehicles they might purchase they need to hear the good AND bad, there are issues with Jeeps (and all trucks for that matter)both good AND bad... Don't forget, I've owned more Jeeps than I have Toyotas...

toledotimber said:
I believe that only those WJs with the NV147 (Quadra-Trac I) and NV247 (Quadra-Drive) use the gerotor differentials. The NV147 doesn't have a neutral or low-range, though, and some WJs also came with the NV242 (Selec-Trac). I know there's another one I'm forgetting, but when those viscous couplings go out (when, not if) the owner's looking at a very expensive repair. Most just swap in a 231 or 242 t-case after that happens.

So only the WJ's with the full time case had the special diffs??? Bummer, but I still remember the first testing vids I saw of those "new" Wj body styles (that one never grew on me) churning through the nastiest muck outside of the rainforest challenge with 3 people sitting in Leather seats listening to a BOse sound system. Pretty imoressive.

What's really odd to me is how Jeep put a pretty good drivetrain in the new Grands but made them Car like low, and put a bunch of oddball spoilers hanging off of it. I guess that market segment shifted a bit over the years ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles