trailer mounted air compressor

srgsng25

Observer
thinking of adding one of these
image_20651.jpg

possible adding this
image_19762.jpg

we are needing this for filling air mattresses and bike tires for scout bike trip

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Get a good compressor.....so many heat up, seize and are junk.
get the largest tank possible, volume is better.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
You can also rob one from a 2000's Pontiac Bonneville as they had nice ones in the trunk. The other option is one that runs the air ride on the Oldsmobile Silhouette minivans as well as some of the Pontiac Montana vans. The duty cycle will be much longer, and they can be had readily at bone yards.

loren85022

Explorer
Just food for thought, I keep my compressor mounted on my vehicle. That way it goes on trails even when trailer stays at camp. I do have a tank that stays on trailer. I fill it whenever need be. Great for bike tires, etc. It gets used most for blowing out the RTT, trailer compartments and sleeping bags by the boss. She gets pretty trigger happy with onboard air. Its the little things that allow her to tollerate/love camping & offroad travel.

Guri

Explorer
You can also rob one from a 2000's Pontiac Bonneville as they had nice ones in the trunk. The other option is one that runs the air ride on the Oldsmobile Silhouette minivans as well as some of the Pontiac Montana vans. The duty cycle will be much longer, and they can be had readily at bone yards.

Hi, I'm interested to recycle one of those air compressors. Do you have any picture of where it is located or where is located in to the car so I can look for it?
I have one of those Harbor Freight air compressor and this is my second one in two years, the fist one die and the store exchange it.

preacherman

Explorer
The little compressors are called "surflow" just search it or google it and you will see lots of threads about it on different forums.

The olds minivan compressors are located in the back on the drivers side. We had one years back and it was not bad. Kinda loud but most are.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Hi, I'm interested to recycle one of those air compressors. Do you have any picture of where it is located or where is located in to the car so I can look for it?
I have one of those Harbor Freight air compressor and this is my second one in two years, the fist one die and the store exchange it.

From inside the vehicle all you can see is this by the trunk latch

IMG_1704.jpg

The rest of the kit looks like this
38386240022_large.jpg

All I know about the vans is that I *think* they are under the far rear floor as that is where it sounds like. I believe they also have connections similar to the Bonnevilles.

John E Davies

Adventurer
Any compressor that has a high enough cfm rating to be worth a flip draws a lot of current, like 40 amps running. You need really big power and ground wires and fuse rated at 80 amps for the heavy start load and the voltage drop along your very long wires and the connectors.

I'm not saying you shouldn't mount one in your trailer, but it makes a heck of a lot more sense to have it mounted in the tow vehicle. Say you leave the trailer at camp and drive off - you have to have a way to air back up independent of the trailer. It's just common sense.

If you do mount one in the trailer - the Warn winch quick disconnect or a generic version is a great choice at your rear bumper:

http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/quick_connect_all.shtml

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials
I do not work for these guys but: FYI

www.onboard-air.com

I am planning on running their system that mounts under the Jeep for airing up tires etc! Also will have a small compressor to run just the air bags on the trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94