Has anyone added a frame to a truck bed to make a trailer?

Wildcat

Adventurer
I know i have asked questions about other trailers but i "think" i have made up my mind. I have a 95 4runner and i think it would be neat to make a toyota truck bed trailer. I found a guy that has a 1st gen bed only for $100. Has anyone made a frame to set the bed on? Am i out of my mind? Should i keep looking for a truck that the front is waisted so i can get the whole rear? I like this bed because it has the tie off hooks outside the bed top.

Reason for wanting this type of setup is i need the trailer to serve as mower/trash/furniture/etc hauler when it is not being used for camping. Plan would be to find a topper for it, if they exist.

yvabugyj.jpg

Chili

Explorer
You're not out of your mind. Building a frame to set the bed on, and using a normal trailer axle is preferable to the original truck gear, IMO. My trailer is still on the truck chassis and axle and my plan is to first get a trailer axle, then eventually do a custom frame. You will save a lot of weight and get more flexibility in designing the tongue and adding other custom features.

Mine is a Ford Courier and also has the tie downs, and they come in really handy. I found a topper after keeping an eye out for about a year, and am happy with what I found. My side windows open and lock just like the rear window, so plenty of access without having to crawl into the bed, and still good security. When I swap out the axle I am going to push the wheels out some for better stability, and put on some fenders. I don't have any pics of the topper but here is my trailer:

250950_3770243209087_793441298_n.jpg

531445_3770243529095_993281981_n.jpg

I added a side table:
168872_3770246289164_228141313_n.jpg

292311_3770246929180_828450963_n.jpg

Loaded up:
578781_3770250969281_2032509676_n.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I say do it! a light weight frame, trailer axle with electric brakes and matching TV bolt pattern
and you will have a great hauler. For $100.00 you could not build a tub as well as the PU body is made.
Keep us posted on the build.

bonomonster

Adventurer
I would go for it..... possibly buy an inexpensive trailer to use as a frame from Lowes, Tractor Supply or something like that

Wildcat

Adventurer
nice! thanks for the pics. giving me some good ideas. i got to get out the graph paper, scale and pencils now. :)

Wildcat

Adventurer
Are yall using shorter trailer spring or truck springs? Are truck springs too long and bouncy? I have been reading other builds on pirate and bc4x4 and some say use trailer springs. I would prolly be building a 2x2 frame under the bed and not use the truck frame.

hammer

I would not use truck springs. I used trailer springs. Should be able to get springs, shackle mount kit, u bolts and perches all new for less than $100.

cwadej

just a guy
I too have a Ford Courier bed trailer. Surprised I havent seen Chili running around, As I'm about 15 minutes away from him.

Mine was a build from scratch, still uses the truck frame. I plan on leaving it that way. I have a 16 gallon fuel cell where the spare tire would go, plumbed to the factory fuel neck spot. I went with a Dexter axle with 5-4.5 to fit same wheels as my Jeep. It gives me realy good ground clearance, and looks perfect behind my slightly lifted Wrangler.

No topper for me, as that would put a HUGE flat spot on the leading edge. I plan on covering it with a RTT from Maggiolina that pops straight up. That will cover most of the bed. Hinged at the front to allow access to the cargo area. I used to spots in fron of the wheel wells for 2 10 gallon water tanks. one battery on each wheel well. I'll have a pantry with drawers behind right wheel well, left side has switches, water access, and pull out stove that is plumbed to a standard 20lb tank mounted in front of the bed body. Right now I use a tarp tied to the tie downs and a standard tent until i can afford the RTT. It's very much a work in progress. Eventually it will be painted to match the Jeep.

A few pictures:
Huge cargo room

left side battery, left water tank behind it. Water pump is between them. flexible coolant tube for water dsipensing, unfortunately it leaks, so I'm looking for a solution to that. Switches for fuel and water pump also here, as is master battery disconnect.

Propane tank. Plumbed to the rear where stove will be mounted to slide out. Also a small area for firewood and such.

Fuel cell as seen from the front. Notice the pick up for external fuel pump is protected by the axle.

Same size jeep wheels so only 1 spare needed. Fuel filler in factory place.

Last edited:

Chili

Explorer
I too have a Ford Courier bed trailer. Surprised I havent seen Chili running around, As I'm about 15 minutes away from him.

Mine was a build from scratch, still uses the truck frame. I plan on leaving it that way. I have a 16 gallon fuel cell where the spare tire would go, plumbed to the factory fuel neck spot. I went with a Dexter axle with 5-4.5 to fit same wheels as my Jeep. It gives me realy good ground clearance, and looks perfect behind my slightly lifted Wrangler.

No topper for me, as that would put a HUGE flat spot on the leading edge. I plan on covering it with a RTT from Maggiolina that pops straight up. That will cover most of the bed. Hinged at the front to allow access to the cargo area. I used to spots in fron of the wheel wells for 2 10 gallon water tanks. one battery on each wheel well. I'll have a pantry with drawers behind right wheel well, left side has switches, water access, and pull out stove that is plumbed to a standard 20lb tank mounted in front of the bed body. Right now I use a tarp tied to the tie downs and a standard tent until i can afford the RTT. It's very much a work in progress. Eventually it will be painted to match the Jeep.

A few pictures:
Huge cargo room

left side battery, left water tank behind it. Water pump is between them. flexible coolant tube for water dsipensing, unfortunately it leaks, so I'm looking for a solution to that. Switches for fuel and water pump also here, as is master battery disconnect.

Propane tank. Plumbed to the rear where stove will be mounted to slide out. Also a small area for firewood and such.

Fuel cell as seen from the front. Notice the pick up for external fuel pump is protected by the axle.

Same size jeep wheels so only 1 spare needed. Fuel filler in factory place.

Awesome, you're way ahead of me! :p

I pass by another Courier trailer in Irving on my way to and from work every day too.. Surprised to see several in the area! I do have some concerns about the flat front of the trailer with the topper but at the same time, I figure that pulling mine behind a Suburban, most of the drag issues are minimized. I will be more concerned when I extent the tongue out a couple more feet, which is in the plans. The short tongue worked fine when I was towing it behind a Bronco but the longer wheelbase of the Suburban makes it a bit of a PITA to back it up.

Then again, I do have a hitch receiver in my front bumper that I have yet to capitalize on. :p

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I bought this trailer to use as a base for a custom build. I don't have photos because I took it straight to Caboose Trailers to be modified. Underneath I found an old frame with a X-member. The design has the driveshaft going through an opening in the center of the "X". The axle is an old front dropped axle from the same era. I think I will keep the frame section but replace the axle, springs and front tongue section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier