2013 JKUR Build

Hello all,

I recently purchased my first Jeep.

Resized for posting 2.jpg

In the past I have always been a Toyota owner but decided to make the leap. The plan is for an expedition type build. The first mod is a 2.5 teraflex coil lift with Bilstein 5100s. It's in the garage ready for install.

Resized for posting 3.jpg

I am going to keep the stock wheels and tires for a while and have never been a fan of wheel spacers. So I opted for a synergy rear sway bar drop kit to keep the stock rear links and will install another set of stock rears on the front.

This past weekend, I took a trip to Uwharrie National Forest to test how it would perform in stock configuration. I must say, it was much better than expected. I can't wait to get the lift on now.

18.jpg

28.jpg

27.jpg

Redman333

Adventurer
Hey nice jkur. I'm in Wilmington and go to URE a lot myself. I've got a 2012 JKU.
yva6e2ys.jpg

Thanks Redman. Yours looks great. I dig the soft top! Uwharrie was great but due to the whoops, I'm ready to install the lift. I approached them at an angle but there were still a few that scraped the skids.

Redman333

Adventurer
Thanks Redman. Yours looks great. I dig the soft top! Uwharrie was great but due to the whoops, I'm ready to install the lift. I approached them at an angle but there were still a few that scraped the skids.

Lol yea I know what you mean. I had the same issue but it wasn't as bad as my buddy in another stock jku Sahara. I ordered my jeep with the longer or stiffer not sure which it is, rubicon springs so my jeep should sit about the height of yours. I scraped on most of the whoops. With the help of some good spotters I made it up Daniel though. So I was happy about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There were a few stock 2 doors with no issues but I would imagine a stock Sahara would have some issues. Did it make it up Daniel as well? I was talked into Daniel and was surprised how easy it ended up being. I did scrape slightly on my passenger rock rail but that was the only issue. Since I'm new to the Jeep world, I searched for a local group and found the Carolina Trail Stalkers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/252949984830602/ It's a pretty good bunch of people and the group is very active. You should check them out. I know they are planning a meet and greet next weekend and a topless day in Wilmington soon.

Teraflex 2.5 coil lift with Bilstein 5100s and a Synergy rear sway bar drop kit installed today!

IMG_20130420_142228.jpg
IMG_20130420_171836.jpg

The only issue was with the Synergy kit. The top bolt on the stock sway bar link was hitting the upper track bar bracket. You can see the paint was scratched where it was hitting.

IMG_20130420_175313.jpg

The solution was to cut the bolt as far as possible and I ended up loosening the rear bar mount bolts and moving the sway bar to the passenger side as much as possible. It doesn't hit at all now but it's close.

IMG_20130420_175335.jpg

Okay, after some research I found the exhaust issue. Here is the clearance that I have on level ground with the front drive shaft and the exhaust Y pipe.

IMG_20130420_221230.jpg

It definitely looks okay for street use. I will not be flexing it until I get some stock rear sway bar links to install on the front sway bar. At that point, I will do a flex test to check the exhaust clearance and determine if I need to install some exhaust spacers: http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-exhaust-spacer-kit-for-2012-driver-and-passenger.html

Has anyone else had an issue with a 2.5" lift?

greater mn

Okay, after some research I found the exhaust issue. Here is the clearance that I have on level ground with the front drive shaft and the exhaust Y pipe.

View attachment 156661

It definitely looks okay for street use. I will not be flexing it until I get some stock rear sway bar links to install on the front sway bar. At that point, I will do a flex test to check the exhaust clearance and determine if I need to install some exhaust spacers: http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-exhaust-spacer-kit-for-2012-driver-and-passenger.html

Has anyone else had an issue with a 2.5" lift?

So,

Brand new+new JK owner (for more info on what i mean "new+new"... check my post http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/103449-My-first-JK-my-first-new-vehicle-and-well-my-first-lemon). I'm going with AEV 4.5" lift and will be replacing the front shaft with JE Reel or Coast Drive Line and praying that I won't need the exhaust mod. AEV also makes a 2.5 inch lift and I know that lift does not require an exhaust mod. However, just because it's labeled a 2.5 inch lift doesn't mean the AEV and your lift have the same lift height. The only way to tell for sure is jack it up and bring the front axle to full droop. If your touching the exhaust I'd plan on doing some sort of modification. (Also, remember the drive line is set off center as well so full extension on the drivers side may drop the shaft lower while off-roading.)

If you do end up doing a modification... you may want to consider a new drive line rather than a exhaust mod. Personally that is the way I would go if I had to do anything and the cost of the drive line isn't that much more than having a shop do the exhaust mod.

Thanks for the suggestion. I still haven't had a chance to do a flex test for the drive shaft.

I have installed some new rear sway bar links on the front and instead of front brake line drops, I removed the flexible brake line from the bracket that attaches to the axle. I used Velcro straps and springs to keep things located.

P5120776.jpg

gregaf3

Observer
Looks good. I have the same setup but with an auto.

Don't be afraid of using spacers, almost all of the problems that you hear about are from user error. I have around 50k miles on mine with zero issues. What they sell for jk' s are actually adapters because they use another set of studs instead of longer studs. They are also hub centric, which is a huge plus. Every other tire rotation I double check the torque at 10 ft lbs under the initial torque and I have yet to find one loose.

Thanks for the comments. I actually have not heard of anyone with spacer issues. I'm just not a huge fan. Also, I like the look of tall and skinny and I think no spacers/stock wheel offset looks better.

I went wheeling this past weekend and was able to do a flex test for the drive shaft. No issues!

Full droop on drive shaft side:

P6020030.jpg

Space between drive shaft and exhaust at full droop:

P6020029.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior