My new to me Bronco expo ride

tacksman

Observer
This is going to be a long slow project. I think its a great starting point. Been in the family since new in 78.
Would love to do a cummins swap.

Attachments

• Bronco.jpg
    Bronco.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 521

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I used to have a '78 Bronco. They are tough rigs. But then, you would know that having had this one in the family since new! Are you thinking 4bt or 6bt?

tacksman

Observer
i've been looking around for a 4BT but it seems those a highly sought after and hard to find, so I probably find a wrecked Dodge w/ a 12 valve and use that.
Thoughts?

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Should have plenty of room for the 6BT in that year. There is a fellow on here with a crew cab in that body style with a 6BT who may be a great resource. I'd personally prefer the 6 anyway. Good luck, love Broncos!

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Yea I don't know too much the frames on those rigs but u may have to add some additional support along with some front suspension to hold all that cummins weight. Awesome rig thoug, I look forward to watching ur build.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Instead of re-inventing the wheel, you could just build up a torquer 400 gas engine like I did for my '79.

It'll bolt right in with no frame mods......

Dennis

DGarman

What could go wrong?
I did forget to add that you have one of the cleanest Broncos I've ever seen :)

Have fun with it........

Dennis

78Bronco

Explorer
There are many motor options...

300 6 cylinder, 302, 351w, 351m, 400, 460

Diesel swap will require d60 front and rear.

That bronco is waaaaaaaay nicer than my rust bucket.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have to say, I love my cummins, but a built 300 would be reaaaaally cool too, and I here they are a ton of fun to drive as well.

tacksman

Observer
Thanks for all the feedback. it has a stock 400m in it now with aprox 4k miles. i did pick up a running 400m as a spare, and dealing with California and
all the smog stuff I'm going to just run the stock motor, and have the spare for fun.
There is no plans for traveling outside of the US, so I'm confident that i will be able to find parts on a road trip if needed. Below is the what all it has.
400M, C6, NP205, Ford 9", DANA 44".

latest work:
I did just go through the 9" and swapped in 31 spline axles, new bearing and seals.
Just ordered all new u-joints and NP 205 rebuild kit from Jeffs Bronco Graveyard.

I'll post some more photos tonight.

Last edited:

78Bronco

Explorer
Factory Ford 9" in a 1978/9 Bronco is 31 spline shafts so you shouldn't have to swap anything.

You wouldn't have any problems swapping in a newer motor with cat converters. I think california would all thank you. My plan is for a EFI 300 ZF5spd NP205 in my 1978. A 300 was also a rare factory offering for these trucks so CARB can pound sand.LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior