Swiss 1/2 ton military trailers on sale US$1399

John E Davies

Adventurer
I know some of you guys have converted these to off road camping trailers. Here are some like new trailers reduced from $2199 to $1399. Deutsche Optic is located about 30 miles SE of Reno, NV. Their page says they have nine in stock.

JB013.jpg

"Like all gear the Swiss Army musters out of service, is checked, reconditioned if necessary, and fully functional. In the case of these gorgeous trailers, we wonder if they were ever in use! Built entirely of heavy gauge steel by Langenthal AG 1973-1975 (see constructor plate), they show no sign of wear or any rust. Even the eye of the hitch still has the original paint on ‘em! Even the rubber shows no wear. These units have a load capacity of 500 kg (1100 lbs). Torsion-bar suspension! The empty weight is a hefty 250 kg (550 lbs). Straight sided boxes measuring 105cm x 197cm (41.34” x 77.56”), with a full width tailgate. These fabulous units have jack-stands, to hold it level when unhitched. Pintle hitch with shock-spring. Even has another hitch on the rear, for pulling multiple units. Note: there are no lights, only reflectors, so if you wanted to use ‘em on the roads, you’d need to wire ‘em. Perfect for jeeping. Strong as hell, but light enough for even a Suzuki Samurai to handle. The overall measurements: 147cm wide x 332cm long (58” x 131”) We have only 9 trailers!"

The ad says "free shipping" and also "additional shipping charges may apply", so I haven't a clue what the actual shipping is....

http://deutscheoptik.com/Militaria-Tools/Swiss-Civil-Defense-1-2-Ton-Trailer.html

EDIT: repaired broken link. JD
EDIT 2: Repaired it again .... ******? JD

I doubt that you could find a better price for ones in this condition.....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Those are not off-road trailers and I am not sure about their suspension set-up. These trailers were used by the army and civil protection corps inside amunition depots and for other on-campus duties. (Looking at the wheel, it appears they used wheels from the then so popular VW Bug :D)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94