Hankook Tires...

sami

Explorer
Anybody ever seen, or dealt with the Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 ?

Just curious if anyone has any experience with these at all.. thoughts? impressions?

hankook_dynapro_mt-rt03.jpg

panzer

Observer
I looked into them last year. Good general info back then and a couple of magazine write ups were out but the tires were on back order (315-16) so I went the tried and true BFGs. When the current shoes wear out I'll look again.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
We've been running them for 22k miles. So far so good. Size 295/75R16. They're a quiet mud-terrain if you ask me. I barely notice they're there which makes it nice. They did well last year in the rain and snow. Also, they can handle rocks better than i ever thought. Aired down really low in Anza borrego and thought the sidewall was gonna get trashed for sure.. never did. Good all around tire. I'll probably buy them again. Running two Hankook spares on the back of the cruiser and im switching the trailer over to them too.

Only thing i dont like is that the price went up from $145 a tire to $205 a tire in one year. I guess that means they are getting popular. Reason why i bought them was i wanted something different that nobody was running. Tired of the same old BFG, good year etc.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
If yoiu live in the Rainy areas, get'm siped every wich way you can. I REALLY like the look and tread patern of them, but they're a VERY hard durometer tire compared to most OR tires, and with 0 siping, they don't grip for $%^& here in the NW (it's really scarry how greasy/hard they feel on a mates Taco). THat said, they'll wear like Iron I'm guessing, and after the sipes I bet they'd be great. Petersens did a "Huge Mud tire" review issue and said pretty much the same thing, good load capacity, but not the most flexible tire out on the rocks.

sami

Explorer
22K miles? and holding strong? i assume you are impressed with their wear? i really like the way they look, kinda low key, to the point, nothin over the top, and as you mentioned somewhat rare.

-Jason

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Jason, yeah they're still holding strong. They're wearing about normal. And despite what Rescue says, i don't find them any harder than any other mud terrain out there on the market.

sami said:
22K miles? and holding strong? i assume you are impressed with their wear? i really like the way they look, kinda low key, to the point, nothin over the top, and as you mentioned somewhat rare.

-Jason

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
SOCALFJ said:
Jason, yeah they're still holding strong. They're wearing about normal. And despite what Rescue says, i don't find them any harder than any other mud terrain out there on the market.
Why do you think they're wearing so well ;) How were they to balance???

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
4Rescue said:
Why do you think they're wearing so well ;)
They're wearing like any mudd-terrain i've seen.. not any better.. not out of the ordinary. ..And if i wanted to be critical i'd say a BFG could last a bit longer.

4Rescue said:
How were they to balance???
Easy to balance. Not a real aggressive tire to begin with. But now at around 20k, one of them is having a tough time balancing.. we can't figure out what the problem is. Spun the tire on the rim, several tire shops and still no dice. Rim is straight yadda yadda yadda. Taking 11 ounces still. :( Down from 14 ounces. Still way too much. Probably swap it out and use it as a spare.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Have you tried centrifugal/tripital wheel balancers? And I hear what you're saying about the BFG's, the MT's don't wear to steallar IMO, and once they're past a certain point they shouldn't be considered a MT anymore eh.

Sucks about the price of these tires, I was seeing great prices about 3 weeks ago when I was doing a mass hunt for the tires I want after I re-gear. Oddly enough, I read your post about the price increase and was about to pont out that there are better deals, and blammo!!! The price went up... :oops:

SOCALFJ said:
Only thing i dont like is that the price went up from $145 a tire to $205 a tire in one year. I guess that means they are getting popular. Reason why i bought them was i wanted something different that nobody was running. Tired of the same old BFG, good year etc.

I've been eyeballing these tires for about 6mos now and found consistently good prices here:

Currently $162.00 ea for the 285/75R16

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...1&rc=CODINT&tpc=HANVM1&tp=Truck/SUV&tc=HANVM1

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Interesting about the durometer. I was asking my Les Schwab salesman (ast. manager) about these tires a few weeks ago and he said they are soft and wear fast, but are a good winter tire? There are lots of variables of course...

I too like that they look different. Look similar to an all-terrain Michelin tire I had back in 1993, but this is more aggressive. They don't come in a 255/85, but the 295/75 is interesting, taller than the 285 and load-range-D instead of E. I spoke to a friend today who recently purchased these in 295/75 and he also says they are quiet on his Rubicon.

4Rescue said:
If yoiu live in the Rainy areas, get'm siped every wich way you can. I REALLY like the look and tread patern of them, but they're a VERY hard durometer tire compared to most OR tires, and with 0 siping, they don't grip for $%^& here in the NW (it's really scarry how greasy/hard they feel on a mates Taco). THat said, they'll wear like Iron I'm guessing, and after the sipes I bet they'd be great. Petersens did a "Huge Mud tire" review issue and said pretty much the same thing, good load capacity, but not the most flexible tire out on the rocks.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Redline said:
Interesting about the durometer. I was asking my Les Schwab salesman (ast. manager) about these tires a few weeks ago and he said they are soft and wear fast, but are a good winter tire? There are lots of variables of course...

I don't think they wear fast at all or are any softer than say a BFG all-terrain. We've been running the same set going on almost 2 years with no problems whatsoever (knocking on wood). Seem to be last just as long as any other tire that are built for similar conditions. They also did fine in the winter snow a month ago. I like that they still are very quiet. When its time for new tires, i'll probably buy them again.

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
That is really good news. I like that everyone says they are quiet. They have good void and an unusual tread pattern. I think I would sipe mine right away. I just got a quote for $177.00 per tire for 295/75R16. I really like that the 295/75 is taller but not wider than the 285/75 and that they are D and not E load range. Have you aired your down? How do they flex?

I have a set of Cooper ST in 255/85 that have a god void ratio and are quieter than a BFG MT, but I would not call them quiet, actually they are pretty loud.

SOCALFJ said:
I don't think they wear fast at all or are any softer than say a BFG all-terrain. We've been running the same set going on almost 2 years with no problems whatsoever (knocking on wood). Seem to be last just as long as any other tire that are built for similar conditions. They also did fine in the winter snow a month ago. I like that they still are very quiet. When its time for new tires, i'll probably buy them again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles