4x4 Truck or 4x2 Truck?

4x4 Truck or 4x2 Truck?

There are some strong arguments against a 4x4. For one, a 4x4 weighs more than a 4x2 cutting into your available payload. Another is that many 4x4 truck owners claim to have never or very seldom used their 4x4 option. 4x2 trucks often have technologies that perform many of the benefits of the 4x4 option without the extra weight and expense.

On the other hand, it's good to know you have 4x4 if you ever need it and 4x4 trucks tend to hold their resale values much better than 4x2 trucks.

Thoughts?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
If they both have open diffs, a 4x4 is nothing more than a 4x2 and a 4x2 is nothing more than a 4x1. :). If you add a locker in a 4x2 it will tend to operate better than a stock open 4x4.

Molon Labe

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If you add a locker in a 4x2 it will tend to operate better than a stock open 4x4.

In some circumstances only. Having a driven wheel on both axles gives you a lot more traction options. If your "4x4" truck came with a limited slip rear axle (most do), you will be much better off.

haven

Expedition Leader
A 4x2 truck with rear locker and a winch will suffice in most situations. It really depends on where you plan to drive.

daveyboy

Adventurer
I have a 2008 Tundra.

When I have had my truck camper on the back, I have only had to use 4x4 a few times. But when I did, I am not sure if I could have made it in 2x4.

Other than the obvious mud and water crossings, two instances come to mind when I tried the ALSD and it didn't do jack...

One was where I was going up a steep, bumpy, sandy hill--I tried 2x4 with the ALSD and was loosing traction in the back due to bumps--even running at 8000 GVW.

Another was when I mistakenly thought some snow was shallow (I was wrong) and water had ponded underneath a deep crustly layer. I got stuck when I broke through--I actually had to chain-up the rear in that instance with icy water 1/3 of the way up the wheels (not fun). I am not sure 2x4 would have gotten me out... .

If I was sticking to dry weather and good roads, I would think a 2x4 pickup would get around great!

beags86

Adventurer
The added weight of the 4wd doesn't really change the payload. The payload is what you can haul not what you can haul plus vehicle weight. Also the added gearing from the transfer case is worth it's weight in gold off road. Locked or open diff no 2x4 will ever have the crawl ratio (pending some sort of aftermarket gearing - over/under drive.) or the slow speed grunt of the 4wheel low option.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The added weight of the 4wd doesn't really change the payload. The payload is what you can haul not what you can haul plus vehicle weight. Also the added gearing from the transfer case is worth it's weight in gold off road. Locked or open diff no 2x4 will ever have the crawl ratio (pending some sort of aftermarket gearing - over/under drive.) or the slow speed grunt of the 4wheel low option.

A simular truck without 4wd will have a higher payload capacity, as it does not have the added weight of the 4wd. Options on a vehicle take away from payload capacity.

Very good point about having 4Lo, something I had not considered when pondering a 2wd vehicle.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I went round and round on this when buying a tow pig. One of those "you may not need it much, but when you do..." type things. Heck the night I bought a car trailer I had to use 4wd to back it into the back yard. 2wd with the LSD wasn't doing it

sent from my dumb phone

deserteagle56

Adventurer
4x4 with a low range all the way!

Exactly!

Especially if you have an automatic transmission and you tow (and pack a camper to boot), you should use the 4-lo option a lot when you're backing that trailer up. For instance, when backing that trailer into a tight camping spot or other situation. The tranny in the truck will get REALLY HOT very fast doing that. Using low range give the truck nearly 3 times lower gearing (most transfer cases are 2.72:1 ratio) to work with; much easier on the transmission.

rkj__

Adventurer
Of course, it depends what situations you foresee using your truck in.

One example of 2WD coming up short is trying to reverse with the wheels turned on wet grass or any other low traction surface. This is especially challenging if there is any slope, or your are trying to back up a trailer. I find pickups in 2WD lose traction very easily in a situation like this.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: 4x4 or 4x2 ?

I went round and round on this when buying a tow pig. One of those "you may not need it much, but when you do..." type things. Heck the night I bought a car trailer I had to use 4wd to back it into the back yard. 2wd with the LSD wasn't doing it

sent from my dumb phone

4x4 with a low range all the way!

Exactly!

Especially if you have an automatic transmission and you tow (and pack a camper to boot), you should use the 4-lo option a lot when you're backing that trailer up. For instance, when backing that trailer into a tight camping spot or other situation. The tranny in the truck will get REALLY HOT very fast doing that. Using low range give the truck nearly 3 times lower gearing (most transfer cases are 2.72:1 ratio) to work with; much easier on the transmission.

Of course, it depends what situations you foresee using your truck in.

One example of 2WD coming up short is trying to reverse with the wheels turned on wet grass or any other low traction surface. This is especially challenging if there is any slope, or your are trying to back up a trailer. I find pickups in 2WD lose traction very easily in a situation like this.

There's a reason for asking that on THIS FORUM and it should be 4x4, of course and

Concerning towing, especially JK/JKU from 07 thru 11--the auto (42rle) torque converter sys, isn't designed to reverse under load, especially upa slope-

4lo locks TQ and will backup/w trailers easy-without excessive heat generation-

Nothing really wrong with 4x2 trucks, I guess--never had one-

4x44 4x4 4x4 4x4 4x4 4x4 4x4 4x4 4x4-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles