Roof top tent ?'s

srch4me

Adventurer
So I've been looking at tents and I'm just curious what the weight capacity of these tents are?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I think it's more important what your stationary weight capacity of your roof rack is. My bro is a big guy, +350lbs and he's been in mine with no problems (mombasa).

I am a big guy (6'8" 350) and I have never had an issue. With a properly mounted rack 1000lbs should not be a big deal. I prefer a rack be mounted on the gutters. I have seen pics of racks on top FZJ80 that have 10 guys standing on them. If you can get the tent on a flat rack and not load bars it is more about how much weight will the rack hold. The aluminum ladders support some of the weight so it is important to make sure it is properly adjusted as well. The ladder will relieve some of the burden on the rack and vehicle which is a good thing.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
One consideration when using a gutter mounted rack system - the feet of the gutter mounts, under heavy use - may crack the gutter caulking and allow A and B pillar leaks. I recommend that you pay attention for the placement of the rack foot in the gutter. Pull the foot to the outer edge inside the gutter before securing, use more than two crossbars is you are going off-road, and use a length of silicone fuel tubing, spilt lengthwise, under the gutter foot to spread and cushion the load. The rack must be strong to resist any flexing or lift, but as light as possible to stay within the allowable limits.

As far as weight loading on your vehicle roof, this is more about braking and handling dynamics (CoG) than vehicle strength. The commonly quoted maximum weight limit for roof racks is the DYNAMIC rating - the max load that you can carry down the road. This does NOT increase by adding more crossbars. For instance, an 80 series Landcruiser, fitted with Thule bars, is rated at 165 lbs. dynamic load. You should include the weight of the rack AND tent in these calculations. When you are parked and occupy the tent the dynamic load limits do not apply - this is a STATIC load and may be many times the dynamic load rating. Vehicles engineered to withstand a low speed roll over are not going to be troubled by the weight of a tent and occupants. The biggest issue then becomes the rigidity and strength of the tent platform.

We have about 2000 customers who use or have used our roof top tents - there has never been an incident of damage caused by loading of the tents.

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: The rack is gonna really depend on what vehicle you're talking about-

:Wow1::Wow1: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles