Short Bed vs. Long Bed

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Hi everyone.

I currently own a manual/diesel 2000 F350, SRW supercab with a long bed.
In the coming 6 months or so, I am looking to replace it with either a lightly used 2010+ Ram 3500, or a 2011+ F350, Crew Cab SRW/diesel.
Would hope to level/slight lift and fit 35's, rear locker/airbags etc.

I am new to "truck camping", and hope to purchase a pop-up slide in camper to put in the back of it. Camper would mostly be used for weekends away here and there, with the occasional long trip. I would definitely be taking the vehicle through difficult stuff off-road (well, as far as a full-size on 35's can go). I wouldn't want much/any overhang from the bed from the camper (i.e. would rather not run a long bed camper on a shortbed truck). When the camper is off, it would also be my daily driver.

Now, I do like the practicality of a long bed truck, being able to fit motorbikes in the back with the tailgate up etc. but even with my supercab, its not the easiest off-road, it can be a bit of a pain to park etc. With a Crew Cab, it's going to be worse (I know the coils in the front of the newer trucks helps with turning circle however).

For those of you that have a full-size, do you prefer the ability to have more room in the camper, or do you find it a bit of a pig off-road/around town? If you currently have a long bed, would you change to a short bed? (or vice-versa). Looking for your opinions :)

bftank

Explorer
i like my longbed crew cab and wouldnt change it for a short bed. we dont get into town too much, but when we do i park in the back of the lot where there is some space, and an easy exit. i dont mind the walk. its not a daily driver either. i use my explorer for that. not sure what its like in l.a. but for small town life in colorado, i dont mind it at all.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
i like my longbed crew cab and wouldnt change it for a short bed. we dont get into town too much, but when we do i park in the back of the lot where there is some space, and an easy exit. i dont mind the walk. its not a daily driver either. i use my explorer for that. not sure what its like in l.a. but for small town life in colorado, i dont mind it at all.
Thanks. I get by ok in town with my current Superduty, every now and then its a pain to park, but by and large not too bad. I do find it a pain whenever I go off-road, particularly in forested areas.
I have a '08 4x4 Tundra DC 5.7L with a popup--here is a thread with a pic:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/62364-new-camper-for-my-Tundra/page2

As you can see, the camper has an 8' floor designed specifically for a 6.5' bed. I don't know if this is what you are referring to, but from a departure angle standpoint, I am still more limited by the bumper of the pickup than by the overhang of the camper..
Thanks for the image, good to see that it doesn't appear to limit the departure angle (which was one of my concerns), the other was that there would be too much weight hanging off behind the rear axle (on a long bed, the weight should be more centred over it).

I am leaning towards a long bed - even though in CC form, they appear to be a lot harder to find, but I am worried about a poorer ramp-over angle and worse turning circle.

my1stcummins

Adventurer
I was torn between a SB or LB when I was truck shopping a few years ago but decided on the LB. The turning radius isn't that much different between the two and having that extra space has come in handy many times i.e. moving, hauling loads, hauling my Quad with room to spare. Longer wheel base is better for towing too I am told. I camp inside my canopy and having an 8' bed is fantastic, me and the GF have "plenty" of space in there.

I recently just sold my two cars so it's my DD I am now used to parking and find that backing in makes a big difference as does a rear view camera.

Go Long!

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Depends on how much you plan to haul. I got a crew cab short bed. Love it. She wheels great off road. Mine is a daily driver and is transforming into a one man getaway camper. Short bed works for me. I put a camper shell on her so I ain't gonna be hauling big stuff anyway, got a trailer for that.

bfdiesel

Explorer
I have had both and for a work/camping truck longbed takes the cake. If hauling a trailer, gooseneck or 5 wheel, a short bed seems to be good if you aren't going to use the bed to carry much. As far as their manners off road they are different to drive than a short wheelbase vehicle, but not less capable. I have had a longbed crew cab on jeep trails and never had much more trouble than some multipoint turns, a lot of the time the longer base let me go though and over stuff the short vehicles had to fight with. The length will suck in the city, but that will be true for either long or short bed crew cabs. Personally I would keep the truck you have unless you have to have a crew cab, then I would be looking for an older diesel pre common rail. Common rails suck to fix.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've had plenty of both Ford and Dodge, long and short bed. Go long bed Cummins. It is THE truck.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
Go long bed Cummins. It is THE truck.

this guy sounds biased :)

i was looking for a short bed, found a deal on a sweet long bed...haven't regretted it once

i dont have any problem getting in and out of urban parking lots...you just cant open the door all the way :)

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Take a close look at a short bed.

How are you going to use the truck? If you are considering a truck camper on your new truck look at the floor plans designed specifically for short beds. Short bed campers use the wrap around space for bathroom and storage space pretty well. The shorter wheel base of a short bed will also give you a shorter turning radius. It really depends on how you will be using the truck. If you want to use a truck camper that is a bit more efficient and you need a truck that can maneuver in tight spots then you should take a close look at a short bed. My last truck was a 2001 F350 crew cab SWB with a 7.3 powerstroke. I used it as a daily driver and had to park in a parking garage and get in and out of tight construction sites. It still was hard to turn around in a tight spot but it was better than the guys driving long beds. I could still haul 8' long loads with the tailgate down.

If i was to buy another pickup it would be a SWB. My current truck is a SWB of a different type - 2005 Mitsubishi Fuso FG 140 flatbed. It can do a U turn in my driveway. Try that in any long bed pickup. That is a whole different thread...

Buckstopper

xbox73

Adventurer
6.5/6.75' vs 8' bed = 1.25' - 1.5' difference in overall length e.g. 245.6" (~ 20'6") for CCSB vs 261.8" (~ 21'10") for CCLB, probably isn't going to make a huge difference, unless you frequent tight urban parking areas, but even then the CCSB is likely to still be a bit of a handful in the same situation, so I say just go for the one you want. 8' bed vs 6.75' bed = 18.5% more bottom dimension camper space for only 6.5% (261.8" / 245.6") more length.

I was torn between a SB or LB when I was truck shopping a few years ago but decided on the LB. The turning radius isn't that much different between the two and having that extra space has come in handy many times i.e. moving, hauling loads, hauling my Quad with room to spare. Longer wheel base is better for towing too I am told. I camp inside my canopy and having an 8' bed is fantastic, me and the GF have "plenty" of space in there.

I recently just sold my two cars so it's my DD I am now used to parking and find that backing in makes a big difference as does a rear view camera.

Go Long!

This. Especially the backing in when parking advice.

docdave

Aspiring overlander
I think it's mostly about the size of camper you want...which will be a factor of the level of comfort you want, how many will be traveling at time and quite frankly, how tall you are. There are some nice short bed designs, but it is very hard to match the load balance of a long bed truck....especially if you plan to tow at all with the camper on. I like the balance and room of a 9-9.5 footer on a long bed, but an eight foot camper in a long bed has no overhang, and still allows a decent toilet, but you trade off the size of the dinette bed. A short bed design, with any kind of toilet, generally gives an undersize dinette bed and will require an overhang. I agree that an experienced driver can put a long bed truck most anywhere you need to go offroad, with a bit more" back and fill", but in town, they can be a hassel.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
My truck is quickly becoming a lifestyle. Even with an 8 foot bed I'm filling it every friday night for the weekend.

A Honda CRF450r and Suzuki DRz400 are both allmost 7' long. Both fit in a 8 foot bed flawlessly. But in a 6' bed I have to load them in crooked, and then can only fit one bike. Add some cargo, and things get really tight, really quick.

No way I'll ever choose a truck with a 6' bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles