S-10 v. Ranger

kevint

Adventurer
I put 260,000 miles on a 1995 B2300 (Ranger equiv) before trading it in on a newer truck. It was still running great.

Viggen

Just here...
In your mind, are you building a desert runner, expo vehicle, something for long-distance travel between gas stops? I looked and looked for the right Ranger, but purchased a Ramcharger last year instead.

I have a 2012 Focus for my fun daily driver but what I need is a truck to make home improvement runs as well an off road toy. The Ranger fits the bill because it isnt huge and it has a bed. An extended cab is needed mostly because Im tall. I live on the Right Coast so things here are tight and muddy. A fullsize Chevy can be had for a little more money but then Im driving a full size which is huge and a pain in the *** to park. My plans are going to be something like 33x10.50s, a better motor of some sort (which is why I am looking pre- 95), a solid front axle, and a couple other things. For $1500- $2000, I can get a ~100k mile Ranger which sounds about right to me. Ideally, I would love something that I can shove a couple of friends in as well as my wife and myself but that doesnt exist without buying a newer Taco DC, which I will never do.

98dango

Expedition Leader
As the owner/builder of an s10 i would buy a ranger. Yes the s10 stuff is easy to come by but its double the money and you are limited till the torch comes out. A ranger is a good base has tons of support if you read. Yes the frame has flex so dos a full size ford or chevy.

I would try to find a 4.0 5speed. Excab is bigger in a ranger they both have draw backs but in my opinion a ranger is easier to grow with an s10 just means when your done the 1800$ lift will be in the trash and a ford.44will end up under it . at least with the ranger you can reuse your coials and the steering some times.

navigator

Adventurer
I'm a Chevy guy and owned a 94 Ranger 4cyl that was weak but it just ran and ran and we sold it at about 210k miles and it was still running great.
I also had an 03 S10 with the 4cyl that was also a good little truck.
We also had a 98 explorer 4x4 with 4.10 gears, which we really loved.

I think you just have more options for the Ranger, If I recall correctly you can also easily swap in an 8.8 rear from an explorer and the 4.10 gears were pretty common.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Which side is the pumpkin on your D44? Not sure which side the Ranger uses but the S10 is a driver side drop. If the goal is to use your exisiting D44, this may make a difference.

Ronman737

You can get a first gen 2wd tacoma extra cab for really cheap. You can also find the older toyota pickups. The 2.2l is one of the best motors ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I had a 2004 ranger and loved it. Growing family made me decide to go full size. Go with the ranger you will not besorry.

Anthony24x

Observer
Any towing needs? I vastly prefer my dakota over the rangers/s10 I have owned... I loved my 89 toyota pickup but the 3.0 can't compare to the grunt of the 5.2. Plus the size just feels right to me, still easy to park and manuever but capable of full size jobs (4500# tow rating)
IMAG0323_zps22d229d6.jpg
8ac021e1-6085-47b9-8e99-421644e5108f_zps3e7f7e4f.jpg

gwittman

Adventurer
I don't know much about the S-10 but did own an 89 Extended Cab Ranger, with a 2.9L engine and manual transmission, for 13 years. It was a great truck and pulled my race car all over the country. It gave me many trouble free miles off-road too. I was always concerned about the automatic hubs and electronic engagement transfer case but they never gave me a problem. The engine had decent power if I kept the rpm up. Once dropped much below 3,000 rpm the power would drop off. It was an easy vehicle to work on but I did not have to do much to it. I did replace the starter once and it was pretty easy. The most difficult thing I had to do on it was replaces the valve cover gaskets. One side was easy, the other side was difficult to get to but doable.

I had almost 200,000 miles on it when I sold it to a co-worker in 2002. He still has it and it still runs like new. I think they are tough little trucks. I liked it so much it was replaced with a 2002 Extended Cab Ranger with a 4.0L SOHC engine and manual transmission. It has much better low end grunt (actually much better power overall) and does a better job of towing.

4x4junkie

Explorer
^^
Nice Dak a couple posts up. A buddy of mine had one for awhile... Great truck, but man that thing would drink gas!

Thread is over half-year old (OP probably has made his decision by now I would think), but I'll go ahead and add my own experience here as well...

I bought my 1994 Ranger new in early '94 (4.0L, stickshift, manual hubs & t-case)... Still own it. No real problems to speak of with it other than a messed-up sensor one time that caused it to run poorly on the freeway/while towing (my own fault installing a stupid K&N air filter in it years prior when I was younger).

I had researched the S-10, along with what Toyota, Nissan, and Dodge were offering at the time. The simple and rugged HP Dana 35 TTB front axle & suspension was what finally led to my decision in buying it (not even knowing at the time many of it's components like u-joints were shared with Dana44 axles). The aftermarket for a Ranger was (is) also far better than for any of them except maybe the Toyota, which at the time I found to be pretty comparable.

Before I got my BII, the Ranger served both wheeling and DD duties. I've had it through the Rubicon trail, all through the Big Bear Ca. area (John Bull trail, etc.), and many many more, removing any doubt about it's ruggedness (which also had a huge influence on my deciding on a BII for something more nimble, knowing all the major drivetrain parts would be directly interchangeable). ×3 (4?), there really isn't much of a point in putting a D44 under one unless you have difficulty grasping the concept of the TTB suspension (seems it's not for everyone).

I'd buy a new one if I could... But alas, no luck there.

2329500030_large.jpg

2329500034_large.jpg

Anthony24x

Observer
Wow I dint even notice this was a resurrected thread from the summer, :shrug: oh well I hope the op found something, too bad he didn't share with us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior