S-10 v. Ranger

Viggen

Just here...
I am in need of a midsizer for Home Depot runs and then to build into a trail/ camping/ fishing, etc... truck. I only want to spend around $1500 on the truck. I am looking for a pre 1995 (dont want the OBDII since I want to mess with this down the line) and the first order of business is a D44 front axle I have laying around to be put in. Extended cab is a requirement.

Looking for some first hand knowledge. The S-10 is that classic boxy design and the Ranger looks slightly better. The S-10 seems to have more aftermarket support. Anybody?

Pics for clicks:
s10.jpg

1990-1999-ford-trucks-9.jpg

29963460004_large.jpg

wyattsf150

I own a 1987 ford ranger and used to own a 1997 ranger both great trucks, fairly simple to work on and there is an abundant amount of aftermarket support as well as knowledge from ranger forums or just searching the web. I vote ranger

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Second the Ranger... Though being a Ford guy probably has something to do with that. I had an '04 and loved it. A few friends have early '90s units with lots of miles and they're good off-road. I also like the 4.0L that you'd be able to get in the Ranger.

Don

-

Jwood70

Observer
I currently have a RBV and love it. Add one vote for the ranger. There's be a reason that you see so many on the road.

RedF

Adventurer
Rangers have always been solid little pickups, the engines usually a bit lacking until the 4.0 came around.

S10s are good trucks too, also underpowered until the 4.3. Being a GM product, they're like playing with Lego. Just click the parts together.

Pick your flavor.

I drive a newer Ranger, but given your specs I would go S10 because a V8 swap is so easy. Fords aren't difficult to modify either, but they require a little more planning/research. Both solid front axle swaps should be pretty easy in those generation trucks.

Just FYI, both extended cabs are nearly useless for seating.

I would get the Ranger just because it has a better IFS. I think aftermarket and tech forums as far as 4wd is better for the Ranger. The ranger station is a great forum.

muskyamigo

I'm not generally a Ford guy but I would go Ranger. The engines and driveline are pretty equal. The later Ranger cabs are a bit smaller, but not bad with the extended cab. The 93+ Ranger wheel wells are huge and will take plenty of tire.

-Mike

ZMagic97

Explorer
If you can get an S10 with a 4.3 go for it. Again, like legos. I have a 4.3 in my truck and love it. Everyone I know loves those V6s.

ihatemybike

Explorer
We've owned a 1997 Ranger with the 2.3L I4 and it was a great little truck. Never had any major trouble with it.

We've also had eight vehicles with the GM 4.3L V6 with the 700R4/4L60E and have found this drivetrain to be quite robust (see my vans' mileage below).

Personally, I like the looks of the 1998 and later Rangers, but I trust the GM drivetrain a bit more.

I know you currently state that you don't want an ODBII system, but I find the advantages of it outweigh the negatives, even though I live in a ODBII vehicles only emissions zone.

Viggen

Just here...
I've driven more Rangers than S10s, and all things being equal, I'd buy a Tacoma:elkgrin:

Tacomas are stupid money and not worth it, in my opinion. Especially since I want to mess with this truck, the extra money for a Tacoma could be used elsewhere.

I also agree with the lego statement.

This is why I am leaning towards the S-10. I think the Ranger looks better but everything is available for an S10. Finding a nice winch bumper is harder for the Ranger, as are a few other things. The S-10 frames seem to be a little more stout as well. Every single Ford truck photo I see flexing suspension has SO much deflection between the bed and the cab. I realize that that is designed in there but Im not a fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online