AmbuLand build thread

Abitibi

Explorer
My lenses were painted over and the wires cut off so I just ran new wires to my switch cluster. Only issue so far is the lights aren't strong enough to really be useful, they are just ok. I have another set of light that are more powerful but they'd need more work to be mounted in that location. Maybe some day...

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Abitibi

Explorer
Black and White's magic...
445705f6962d9e3aa97c6d54cd3609d3.jpg

A few more updates to post! I have a few projects good enough to get by but not complete, the story of my life, Hahaha!
The shower got the thumb's up from my wife, that's a big plus.

0fd27e0646fc4579c760139cde12bbb3.jpg

But now she wants a microwave, oh dear! Hey, if it gets her by my side in the country that's a small price to pay. So I'll be replacing my 600w pure sinwave Inverter with a 3000w modified one that I bought on sale today for over 50% off! Will be on the hunt for a small 700w microwave.

In the mean time I carried on the shower/Propane cabinet. So the propane tank is now secured, drilled a hole in the floor in case of a leak and need to finish the counter top and a few more details.

157f06b5153d9b8284a0bb489d1ca027.jpg

c2a0e00c509b44d35e1fd5ecc6a990f8.jpg

Bird's eye view while I can (shows the heater tank playing nice withe the propane tank, tight but good fit)... I also decided that I'll be mounting my ARB twin compressor underneath the van directly below the propane tank area. I'll drill couple more holes to run the compressor's filters inside the cabinet along with the quick connect for the air line (I'm mostly going to use it to inflates tires and maybe some air tools). I also have a tank that will tuck nicely along the frame.

2d2e57b68356844e7ae79bbe3b16135a.jpg

545e5a019a4289ecb57d7cec20f28b53.jpg

Played a bit more on the electrical side with my friend Jay. Added a couple plugs, outlets 3 of them) and switch for the water pump.

1784d0ef36ef70c994fd564c2fb2ba52.jpg

This one is for the fridge while on AC and for microwave and is located behind the sink.

cb4d15264c80b8dcdb47c8b89b2ff302.jpg

Sink is fitted, just need to find a faucet and start plumbing!

aa72334a4636d15560a35dedfa5a5f41.jpg

I need to get more pictures of the toilet storage, stove cabinet and more...

Cheers
David

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd be keeping the Pure sine also and using it when I don't need 600+.

Will a Microwave run on modified? Electronics tend to not like modified.

I went with a 2k watt Pure Sine for about $450 so I didn't have to worry. I've rear the smaller inverters use less power than bigger ones. Always trade offs.

FDM2012

Adventurer
I have a 700 watt microwave and it runs on my 3000 marine modified sine wave, but it doesn't like it. And the inverter isn't a fan, either.
It starts whining and the alarm comes on if it runs more than a minute or so. I tested it out when I had all three batteries in still,
and while the motor was running. 2 alternators.... It is, what it is. I will soon be doing some testing with the 1000ah battery bank
that will be going in my rig. Maybe that will do better?? I dunno........YET!

I will run them till one or both dies....

IMG_20160910_215856.jpg

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
David do you mind posting a link to those front side marker lights you used to replace the factory reds? My originals are there but not hooked up, and the mounts themselves are a bit busted up inside, making the mounting a bit sketchy. I have those same oval holes like yours and I'd like to replace mine with something like a white flood. I don't "think" they're going to be strobing because none of my remaining lights strobe. They either flash, or on steady. I dont if any of them ever strobed to be honest. Anyway, I need something to replace what's there.

Abitibi

Explorer
David do you mind posting a link to those front side marker lights you used to replace the factory reds? My originals are there but not hooked up, and the mounts themselves are a bit busted up inside, making the mounting a bit sketchy. I have those same oval holes like yours and I'd like to replace mine with something like a white flood. I don't "think" they're going to be strobing because none of my remaining lights strobe. They either flash, or on steady. I dont if any of them ever strobed to be honest. Anyway, I need something to replace what's there.
They come from adventure trailer. They are backup lights so not as strong as I'd like, they fill the gap and do the trick but I might change them down the road... I've got something else in the back of my mind!

As for inverters, I've run a 700w microwave in my previous van with only 2 batteries and a 1000w modified sin wave without issues. I had to run the van though... I also got a few friends running a similar setup (modified sin wave) without issues so now that I have 4 batteries I'm confident it will work. But give me a few weeks and I'll confirm it :)

Abitibi

Explorer
I have a 700 watt microwave and it runs on my 3000 marine modified sine wave, but it doesn't like it. And the inverter isn't a fan, either.
It starts whining and the alarm comes on if it runs more than a minute or so. I tested it out when I had all three batteries in still,
and while the motor was running. 2 alternators.... It is, what it is. I will soon be doing some testing with the 1000ah battery bank
that will be going in my rig. Maybe that will do better?? I dunno........YET!

I will run them till one or both dies....

View attachment 365750
Good luck and let me know how it works out! BTW, I'm surprised you still had issues while the engine was running!

FDM2012

Adventurer
After the daily soaking of solar panels (2 x 150 watts) in the Florida sun today, my batts (about 1000 amh's) showed
full charge with a short load test. So, I waited about 30 minutes to recover, and fired up the microwave.
I set it for a 5 minute cook time and it wasn't until about 3:30 of run time that it started humming and then the
steady beep. I did a load test after that, and it was pretty much the same as before I ran the nuker.

I think Pure Sine is definitely the way to go, but again, I already have this sucker, so I will run it for now.

Besides, how long does it really take to cook a burrito or hot pocket?

IMG_20160911_085059.jpg

If you want me to run any other test, let me know. I am happy to oblige!

*And yes, that is 500lbs of batts in a 350lb cart. And yes, I am planning on putting them in my rig!*

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks for doing this! That's crazy battery bank!

The 3000w Inverter is now in place, still looking for the nukes though.

21449968ac2850e4bd4b9b20f0f50bc6.jpg

Had to move a few things around to make it fit but turned out easier than expected.

Im heading out camping for a week or so next week. Lots of dirt so deflating will be a must... So this is what I did yesterday.

Got the ARB twin from a fellow Expo member, new in box for $370. A lot of money but couldn't pass on such a good deal! I also had a tank from another application that I converted for my air system (it used to be filled with charcoal as an industrial filtration device). Only thing I need to change soon is to add an extra outlet for drain but in the meantime it works.

I mounted the compressor upside down in front of the rear passenger wheel and the tank along the frame. It's well protected there. I didn't like the filters out in the elements so I put some extensions and the filters are now by the propane compartment along with the air hose connection. Turned out great!

380d5939a1c2760c1a2e979f34dca139.jpg

53a2786dc0c3323b51cad70d663cdfc2.jpg

1ac993446b31e82f0255c7ce99662bfc.jpg

e71e9a1f3bebe79040d2dc54cb82ce9c.jpg

2005118dc8a1c23a790a31039af20380.jpg

One weird thing is if I keep the compressor switched on the fan runs nonstop. Not a big deal as I just flip the dash mounted switch off when not in use but curious if this is normal?

I got more coming up, just gotta upload some pictures to make it more interesting... See you soon!

Cheers
David

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
This thing is coming along nicely man. Love the ARB setup, that is a pretty big tank too! I bet the air tools work great with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior