AmbuLand build thread

Abitibi

Explorer
The material I used for the underfloor is from Homedepot. I've tested it by leaving outside for months in the rain (I'm in Vancouver BC, good testing ground). Very happy for the price.

I just reinstalled the old vinyl on top, works way better than carpet in my book...

2fad70d6bff61856ee9902031a034f1b.jpg

Next, the new seat base built out of 3/16" (way overkill and heavier than needed). Here I already primed them and cut the not so secret doors (not so secret anymore now that I'm posting these pictures)! Had to make sure the seat base lined up properly so both doors could open.

044057c3ec0bf8f705a0ff453772d08c.jpg

I followed by wrapping them up with rubberized tiles from Walmart. Kinda match the rear floor, stylewise anyway :)

0828e5d402143b80f3c544b405864ab6.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417126758985.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417126758985.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Just noticed the extra picture at the end of the last post but can't take it off... Oh well.

Once I test fitted the base so they would clear the doghouse and lined up the driver seat so I was decently centred with the steering wheel I moved along and glued the rubber tiles as well as some airline tiedowns.

c3851c707c2d36f3139aba9ceff452af.jpg

When using contact cement I like to put a layer of newspaper between the two units being glued. This way it gives you a bit of room to line up the two piece in place. If you don't then it's a one shot deal...

a8402f4d3ee59e511e730934cf91ef53.jpg

045637e55b7dc2def55c62d745c8fa4f.jpg

Move the seat fully to the rear and it gives you access to the front latch. Move it fully to the front for rear latch...

02e290b6c295b2125ada0666bb6282b4.jpg

But when the seats are in normal driving position it kinda covers the latches. I still have a few things to finish them up (some carpet inside, lock for the latches, color match the hinges...) but so far so good!

e4a8d3bf688d48af381070d83124395f.jpg

d0d7e37139f399ff1f74a870f7f1066b.jpg

b61284d19770aeaf6ec0206537de3bfd.jpg

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
You should see the amount of legroom my passenger will get. When pushed all the way to the back I can barely touch the dash with my feet (ok, I'm kinda short but still!!!)

I also had to match the seatbelt. Luckily I was able to replace the Ford ones with the ones from the new seats.

e937f861b2bd47866e5b39fcf52cd7dd.jpg

The Ford ones came with pre-tensioners which I have no use for. Still need to figure if removing them will interfere with the airbags, anyone knows?????

Now I have two comfy full swivel front seats with about 30" of travel. The ones I got are brownish / beige and will match my rear seats but I can also find them in grey so that's an option although nothing a sheepskin cover can't hide ;)

I already mentioned how the bottom part of the seats fold up to create a very compact seat. That way when I'm without passenger I can easily push or pull the passenger's seat to the end and tiedown a bunch of stuff in the vacant area. :D

Here's an old picture showing what I'm talking about...

0f421d12417d27693bb5d8ce8845f46d.jpg

Now that this project is almost over I can move to the next one...

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Next project sir.

Since I'm converting this beast to become an hybrid running both on diesel and vegetable oil I need a second fuel tank. This new one will be for the diesel. I could have build it larger but even as is its more than I need since I'll mostly be driving on veggie. Still not bad at 32 gallons.

First, build my template.
68b1134ef6905e990784ebeaba2f41a9.jpg

I got a good deal on 4'x8' grade 6052 aluminum 0.125 thickness. Then a simple circular saw did the trick to cut all the parts.

Next buy lots of beer for a friend with better skills than mine... Et voilà!

9d900676e4122a33438410d04ec3bb9a.jpg

24c9f7a503ede0fe7c38701187061846.jpg

I'll build a stainless steel skidplate for the tank and mount it where most vans have their tanks along the frame. Once that's done I should be close to get her back on the road :D

Cheers
Mr. D

Last edited:

philos

Explorer
super rad! Loving the tank; might have to copy it for whenever I get to doing my 4x4 conversion...
I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but where are those seat tracks from?

djbonsu

Adventurer
Very nice! So if im not mistaken you protected your floor with por-15, then sound-proofed it with fatmat, then the old OEM vinyl then the home depot material for insulation?? What the name of the home depot material??

ert01

Adventurer
Where did you find all the fittings to weld into your aluminum tank? I have lots of aluminum left over from work and I have the capacity to weld it myself but the only thing holding me back is what fittings I'd need to weld into it for intake and vents etc.... What are you planning to use for the fuel pump?

Abitibi

Explorer
super rad! Loving the tank; might have to copy it for whenever I get to doing my 4x4 conversion...
I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but where are those seat tracks from?
Hi philos

Thanks! Those seats and tracks are from a Mitsubishi Delica L400. They are the middle row captain chairs. If someone would be interested in a set I can always have a look as these vans are pretty common here in Vancouver.

Abitibi

Explorer
Very nice! So if im not mistaken you protected your floor with por-15, then sound-proofed it with fatmat, then the old OEM vinyl then the home depot material for insulation?? What the name of the home depot material??
Thanks djbonsu. You got the material right but the order is Por-15, FatMat, foam then stock vinyl cover. The foam is this:

f049d018c738cffaed4be05d68e6722a.jpg

Cheers.

philos

Explorer
Hi philos

Thanks! Those seats and tracks are from a Mitsubishi Delica L400. They are the middle row captain chairs. If someone would be interested in a set I can always have a look as these vans are pretty common here in Vancouver.

Thank you!!! I'll have to let you know - I just got some Sienna middle row seats to put up front in my E350. I haven't really had a good look at them yet, but if I have trouble mounting them to my existing tracks I'd be interested in using something with long travel like the Delica ones...I could build some cool boxes/bases like yours while I was there.
I guess I'll have to give it a try first before I know for sure wither way.

Abitibi

Explorer
Where did you find all the fittings to weld into your aluminum tank? I have lots of aluminum left over from work and I have the capacity to weld it myself but the only thing holding me back is what fittings I'd need to weld into it for intake and vents etc.... What are you planning to use for the fuel pump?
Hi ert01.

Those fittings were custom made locally. I can either try to put you in touch with the place I got them or grab you a few next time I head back for my next tank. It might take a while though as I need to take the stock tank out to test fit my template.

This is the template, it will be the main veggie tank:
26623fb241941be3b1de9c9b7bb7beda.jpg

If my maths are good it's gonna be a monster at 88 gallons or 330L!!! Both tanks would total 120 gallons or 450L. If I recall a litre of veggie oil weighs 0.92kg so converting this into gallons and pounds would come close to 240lbs of fuel in the front tank and 665lbs of fuel in the rear tank! Makes me wonder if I should slim down my rear tank ?!?

I'm sure Chris at UJOR can dial me some good springs when the time comes ;)

Cheers
Mr. D

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Philos,

You have a set of factory sienna slides?

You'll need to mount them on a platform of some sort because they'll be too low if mounted directly to the floor.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior