New Four Wheel UTE Flat Bed Model Coming Soon ...

STREGA

Explorer
I think the PW would be awesome too, but per the manual it states that they do not recommend using truck campers with a PW... I wonder if the suspension were modified would it be ok to put a truck camper on one.

I had a '05 Power Wagon that I bought new and I put a Outfitter Apex8 on it. At the time I bought the PW I told the sales rats that I planned on putting a pop up camper on it and no one mentioned to me at the time of purchase that Dodge did not recomend putting slide in campers on the PW. It was not until after I purchased the PW and I was at home reading the owners manual that I stumbled upon that bit of info. In my manual it actually stated that Dodge did not recomend putting slide in campers in any of their trucks, I was a little upset to say the least after reading that and called the dealership and got the "thats Dodge CYA'ing themselves and not to worry about it" response.

The suspension on the PW is softer than a regular 3/4 ton truck and I put on Timbrens, then later on I tried air bags as well. I also replaced the Bilsteins with a pair of Ranchco 9000's (?) that had adjustable damping that helped alot. I prefered the Timbrens over the air bags actually and went back to them, they are very easy to install/remove and when I took the camper off (mainly during the winter) I removed the Timbrens and the ride of the PW was restored.

Ultimately the Apex8 weighed much more than the advertised weight they gave and with the other issue's I had with it, I sold it and eventually sold the PW as well and went with the setup I currently have. Eventually I may look at going back to the PW with the UTE 4 wheel camper setup as I'am not getting any younger and I don't bend in the middle as welll as I use to either and the better half would not mind a little more creature comfort also. If the weight of the UTE 4 wheel camper stays as low as they hope it to I believe the PW will make a good platform for it, much better than the Tacoma could ever do.

haven

Expedition Leader
The Power Wagon, after typical options are added, yields a payload of about 1900 lb. Is that your experience, STREGA?

Ford Raptor owners are in worse shape. The Raptor cargo capacity is around 1100 lb. That's the penalty you pay for the nifty long travel factory suspension.

STREGA

Explorer
The Power Wagon, after typical options are added, yields a payload of about 1900 lb. Is that your experience, STREGA?

Ford Raptor owners are in worse shape. The Raptor cargo capacity is around 1100 lb. That's the penalty you pay for the nifty long travel factory suspension.

Yes. Mine did not have all the bells and whistles but if IIRC it was around the 1900-2000 lb payload limit. The Apex ready to go put me well over that.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Any word on the full size models yet? I'm interested in seeing a floorplan for a Grandby or Keystone. Maybe some dimensions, too?

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
We should be building 3 UTE Fleet Model Flatbed campers and 1 UTE Grandby Model Flatbed camper soon. Just waiting on the deposit to hit the bank. These will be for our new FWC dealer in Australia.

: )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne