New Four Wheel UTE Flat Bed Model Coming Soon ...

sumnrfam

Just get yourself a sawzall like this guy did and start cutting.

: )

(BTW: This was not a FWC customer. Just something I saw on Craigslist)

Stan, that is exactly the photo I have been thinking of. Once I saw Foster's UTE bed FWC set up the wheels started turning. But I have the 5' box (DCSB),, so not an option. And dang they want a premium for that Aussie UTE bed.

I was thinking of seeing if Mario @ AT could do an aluminum version just like these pics. Then I could "slide in" the Finch Shell and BOOM,, done!! solves the 6" height adder with the typical UTE flat bed, and would still allow the behind the axle boxes like they did for Foster,and also some filler boxes (?) (where the bedsides are missing) for misc gear (tire chains for the Yukon), AND the best deal,, hopefully a direct bolt down mount for the Finch, so no external tie downs on the 5' version :Wow1::Wow1:,,

Ok where do I sign,,,,,,:coffeedrink:

Wade

talked to mario two days ago about the ute trey and it sounds like they are going to be able to make their own bed at completive prices.

a finch ute would be so sweet.

foster

ExpoMike

I have been SERIOUSLY thinking of cutting the bed the same way and then installing storage boxes. I even thought of leaving the bottom half of the fender so it might "blend in" a little better.

docdave

Aspiring overlander
I was thinking that without the bed sides, the lower drawers could be much deeper, the water heater and frig could be mounted lower, and the toilet/shower could be reconfigured to be more space efficient. Maybe move the battery to the front as well for improved balance. Lots more space in the same, or smaller truck. I hadn't thought about cutting the bed, that's worth consideration.

dieselandmud

Adventurer
Maybe I missed it somewhere in the 22 pages of replies. How is the FWC secured to the flatbed? Any pics of the mounting hardware?

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Usually 4 bolts through the camper floor. One bolt towards each corner inside the camper. We just want the camper to stay securely on the flat bed. The flat bed is secured the same way to the truck frame, so we don't have any need to change over to a 3 point tie down. What we do works great for what it needs to do.

hoptroll

Pool Boy
Interesting. I have read a lot about frames and flatbeds that account for flex so I was curious how you guys did it. I would imagine your camper design allows for a lot of flex.

Jfet

Adventurer
Is it easy enough to get the camper lined up on the holes so you can bolt it to the flatbed? Do they slide around some so you can get 4 bolt holes lined up?

John E Davies

Adventurer
I see at the FWC website that they will attend the Missoula Outdoor Show March 22-23. Has anyone heard what models will be on display? I emailed Denny in Jackson WY, but he didn't respond to this particular question. Hopefully it will include this one or better yet a Hawk Ute...... if so, I will happily make the three hour drive from Spokane.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I just went to the Portland show and talked with them. FWC is currently building a Hawk UTE for their showroom in CA. In addition, it will be on display at the Overland Expo this year. At the Portland Sportsman's Expo last weekend, they had a Fleet, Hawk, and Grandby, all slide in models, no UTEs. Their campers are extremely awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94