New Four Wheel UTE Flat Bed Model Coming Soon ...

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Four Wheel Campers is now offering a production model a Flat Bed Camper for most all truck sizes.

We have built a few custom flat bed campers in the past, but each one was a bit different.

The new model has a standard floor plan, and then the customer can add options to it as they wish.

Here are the base model starting prices ...

Fleet UTE Flat Bed Model = $ 19,995.00

Hawk UTE Flat Bede Model = $ 20,495.00

The Grandby UTE Flat Bed Model = $ 20,995.00

The Aluminum UTE flat bed pricing varies from truck to truck.

The flat bed price would be in addition to the camper pricing.

Our dealer in Jackson Hole, Wyoming will be offering these as a package for any customers that might be interested.

For the customers that might prefer a "one stop shopping" experience, Jackson Hole FWC can sell and install the Aluminum UTE flat bed on your truck, and they can also install the Flat Bed camper for you as well.

Their website is located here ... http://www.fwcjh.com/

Denny @ Jackson Hole FWC will have the first prototype camper mounted on his Toyota Tacoma on display at the Overland Expo coming up soon.

The Overland Expo will be May 17th - May 19th in Flagstaff, Arizona.

More show details located here ... http://www.overlandexpo.com/details

Come See Us !

: )

Attachments

• flat bed camper 3.JPG
    flat bed camper 3.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 174
  • flatbed his resolution.JPG
    flatbed his resolution.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Flatbed-Fleet-camper-2.jpg
    Flatbed-Fleet-camper-2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Flatbed-Fleet-interior-dinette-big.jpg
    Flatbed-Fleet-interior-dinette-big.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Flatbed-Fleet-interior-galley-1.jpg
    Flatbed-Fleet-interior-galley-1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 142
  • Flatbed-Fleet-interior-underbed-storage-big.jpg
    Flatbed-Fleet-interior-underbed-storage-big.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Flatbed-Fleet-interior-wide.jpg
    Flatbed-Fleet-interior-wide.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 146
  • Fleet Flatbed Floor Plan Photo.jpg
    Fleet Flatbed Floor Plan Photo.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 155
  • fleet-cutaway.jpg
    fleet-cutaway.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Very good news...I have been tossing around this idea for a long time but never wanted to deal with a "custom" build from Four wheel or another pop up camper company...
Can't wait to see it...
You mention one for a tacoma but would these be built for full size trucks also???

Last edited:

pods8

Explorer
Cool.

Why the step'd overhang rather than just make it deep the whole way?

I don't know about other customers but I had no interest in the headache rack on my ute bed, you can order it w/o that and as a bonus it saves money!

Denny@fwcjh

Observer
The ute bed is exactly 6ft long, we made the camper 6'10" long giving more space in the interior. The angle on the rear of the camper allows you to keep a better approach angle and we placed the dinette seating in the rear to move the weight forward. I will post more photos when I install the Ute Bed this weekend.

Pest

Adventurer
Cool.

Why the step'd overhang rather than just make it deep the whole way?

I don't know about other customers but I had no interest in the headache rack on my ute bed, you can order it w/o that and as a bonus it saves money!

The ute bed is exactly 6ft long, we made the camper 6'10" long giving more space in the interior. The angle on the rear of the camper allows you to keep a better approach angle and we placed the dinette seating in the rear to move the weight forward. I will post more photos when I install the Ute Bed this weekend.

I think he was referring to the stepped overhang in the cab over bed...that's my exact question anyway. It looks...odd.

Denny@fwcjh

Observer
Sorry my confusion!! We designed it that way because it would allow a lot easier access to the storage under the bed. If the storage went all the way to the front the angle of the opening would decrease and making for harder access and difficult to reach. Then we figured why have the extra material=extra weight so the step up was used.
I am sure if a customer did not want the step up style we could build it to continue out over the cab!

pods8

Explorer
I am sure if a customer did not want the step up style we could build it to continue out over the cab!

Perfect accommodation.

My opinion on it is off the bat it looks silly, at least angle it or such would be my preference if not taken all the way forward. But just going all the way forward would be easier I think. On my build I'll have a shallowish storage (probably somewhere around 3.5-4" deep) the full 60" of my cantilever. I agree that the farther stuff isn't super accommodating but that is the perfect place for off season bedding, clothes that aren't in the daily rotation while on a longer trip, or other misc (and ideally light) items. Also the longer bays accomodate long item storage such as fishing poles, rifles, etc. which don't readily have place w/o the long couch design of the base FWC.

On my build which is a similar layout, left bay was going to be top access only, the middle two were likely going to get something like 18-24" drawers in the front part to allow access to some daily clothing without disturbing the bed (the storage behind the drawers would be top access), and the right bay was going to have an opening front panel to also access with the bed down and allow stuffing longer items in there (also would be good for loading/unloading long items with the roof down). Just some ideas I had in my head, grab anything that you like if its a new thought (these may have all crossed your mind already though).

contento

Observer
Sorry my confusion!! We designed it that way because it would allow a lot easier access to the storage under the bed. If the storage went all the way to the front the angle of the opening would decrease and making for harder access and difficult to reach. Then we figured why have the extra material=extra weight so the step up was used.

I've always thought that would be a great place to store the 4 jacks, for people that don't want them installed but still want them in case of a need to remove the camper.

Some sort of compartment that opens on one side or both sides with a locking door, water tight to help prevent rust and tight clearances for the jacks to keep them from banging around while driving.

pods8

Explorer
I've always thought that would be a great place to store the 4 jacks, for people that don't want them installed but still want them in case of a need to remove the camper.

Some sort of compartment that opens on one side or both sides with a locking door, water tight to help prevent rust and tight clearances for the jacks to keep them from banging around while driving.

100-150lbs of jacks up high on the vehicle doesn't sound appealing to me once you factor in the weight of jacks. Since this is for a ute bed, you'd be better off working to put them between the frame rails under the bed. There is a 4" or so tall gap between the bottom of the bed and the normal ute cross members, the only tricky part is the member across the rear of the ute bed comes down a couple inches so it doesn't provide straight on access, however a modified rear member could solve that one (or they might be able to slip up in there as is). You'd need to make up a compartment to hold them securely and shield them.

You can sorta see what I mean in these shots. The entire area between those channels is open except when you get to the back of the bed you can see how the rear member covers about half.
2012-09-07_17-41-55_359.jpg

2012-07-26_20-29-10_455.jpg

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
As I noted over on WtW, this is a well thought-out design. It is really good to see a layout that keeps the weight in the front half of the camper.

And an added bonus is that this flatbed camper will be available as a shell model!

I do agree that the cabover looks goofy.

(I definitely wish I had the money to convert my Tacoma to a flatbed.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles