New Four Wheel UTE Flat Bed Model Coming Soon ...

Clutch

<---Pass
Why not just make a chassis mount camper? Cut out the cost of the ute bed and maybe save some weight. The thing I see with the ute bed is that being at the wheel well height it raises the center of gravity. With a chassis mount the floor could be a bit lower.

The Aussies have been using Tray Back Camper for years and years, I don't think it is going to be a issue. Will have to beef up the bottom of the camper
going chassis mount, not sure there is going to be much cost savings. That and the versatility of a ute bed over a chassis mounted is worth it, you can buy
one vehicle the performs many roles.

The over-all height of these Trayon Campers isn't too far off the FWC, looks like they do mighty fine off-road
with the Tacoma similar HiLux and I think I see a Nissan Patrol too.

Last edited:

Denny@fwcjh

Observer
Yes, this ia an idea inspired by the use of flat beds in every country except the US.

The UTE bed makes much more usable space compared to the standard bed.

haven

Expedition Leader
Truck Camper Magazine has posted an interview with Tom Hanagan, owner of Four Wheel Campers, about the new flatbed designs. Hanagan says flatbed models are in the works for midsize and full size trucks. The article has several good photos of the interior of the Fleet flatbed pop-up camper.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2013-four-wheel-camper-fleet-flatbed

When reading the article, be aware that Truck Camper magazine's primary focus is on full size trucks with large hardwall campers. Think slide-outs and dual rear wheels, with limited off-road use. However, the magazine has always taken note of the lightweight camper shells on 4x4 trucks, used by primarily by hunters and other sportsmen who need access to the backcountry. Truck Camper Magazine recently has given more attention to ExPo-style campers.

The article contains news that FWC is custom-building a popup for a Mitsubishi Fuso! Let's hope we get a chance to see photos of that project. This could evolve into a competitor for products from EarthCruiser and All Terrain Warriors/Sportsmobile.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The article contains news that FWC is custom-building a popup for a Mitsubishi Fuso! Let's hope we get a chance to see photos of that project. This could evolve into a competitor for products from EarthCruiser and All Terrain Warriors/Sportsmobile.

Build thread is here on ExPo, not much info but worth keeping an eye on.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/89761-Building-a-overland-camper-on-a-Fuso-FG

9088767863_0383e14470_z.jpg

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I love the new camper! But WOW its a bit heavy!

In the Truck Camper article I think they say it's base weight is in the 850-lb range, and with options it's 1450 lb. That sounds right to me. I think it shows the importance of focusing on weight everywhere you can, because it sneaks up on you. Imagine how heavy "traditional" campers are, that start out with a base weight of double the 4-wheel.

Not really truck-camper related, but an illustration of surprising weight: I wondered why I was always so exhausted after loading my truck for camping trips. Then I itemized everything, and put on a weight estimate for each item. I came up with 1800 pounds of gear (I like to be comfortable). No wonder I was so sweaty and tired. I hand-loaded a ton!

Aircraft see the same thing. Over time they get heavier. One owner adds some nav gadget, and the next owner upgrades it. But the wiring stays. New seats, and old parts stay behind.... after some years, the base weight of the plane has crept up measurably and the legal payload is greatly reduced.

haven

Expedition Leader
I think the larger flatbed FWC for full size trucks won't be much heavier than the midsize model. For example, a Grandby for full size trucks with 8 foot bed weighs only 150 lb more than a comparably equipped Fleet for midsize trucks.

STREGA

Explorer
Pretty much maxing out the Tacoma's payload. 1/2-3/4 Ton truck might be better suited.

I love my Tacoma for pretty much everything except traveling...

That pretty much sums up the Tacoma guys feelings at the Expo that I talked to as well. Everyone loved the camper but it's to much camper not enough truck. I would think a Power Wagon would be a great match up IMHO.

Keyne

Adventurer
That pretty much sums up the Tacoma guys feelings at the Expo that I talked to as well. Everyone loved the camper but it's to much camper not enough truck. I would think a Power Wagon would be a great match up IMHO.

I think the PW would be awesome too, but per the manual it states that they do not recommend using truck campers with a PW... I wonder if the suspension were modified would it be ok to put a truck camper on one.

Wyocrawler

Observer
I have a hallmark ute in my 2011 PW, I did put air bags on the rear as the springs are pretty soft I run about 45lbs with the camper loaded and have no problems.

Btw. I have been eye f@&$ing this fwc setup since they first started talking about it. I've always had a thing for flatbeds.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372135885.468983.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles