2004 GTRV / SPORTSMOBILE 4X4 $65,000 NEW PRICE $59,000 Olympia WA

4x4kayaker

Observer
For Sale 2004 GTRV / Sportsmobile. $65,000 NEW PRICE $55,000

SOLD.
Seats 6 (one removable captain chair) sleeps 4.
Ford 350 6 liter power stroke turbo diesel (120,000 miles) with Salem Kroger 4x4 conversion with 4” lift. I'm the second owner, reluctant to sell. Lots of custom and aluminess extras. The interior layout has 2 captain's chairs in front (1 swivel); bench seat for 3 that converts to a double bed; sink hot and cold water; electric fridge; and propane furnace. GTRV makes the best pop-up penthouse, this model is manual with assisted shocks, sleeps two up top and two below.

EXTERIOR:
REUNEL custom chrome front bumper hiding a warn 16.5 ti winch, fog lights, off road lights, and axe with accessories. Winter engine heater plug. Rear custom chrome bumper with lights.
Custom nerf bars with air chambers both sides.
Aluminess products: 1 Aluminess ladder, and the aluminess galley box.
2 custom swing arms on rear bumper hold spare tire and highlift jack, and the aluminess galley box. Outdoor Triton propane shower with hookup to on board propane.
Removable rear mud flaps to keep the law off your tail.

UP TOP: Thule roof rack, with MOAB basket, and a Yakima space saver storage box. FIAMMA F45i awning with custom mounts, and ability to mount awning poles to vehicle or ground.

TIRES: New 3 month old Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac E rated and siped. X2 Clothier chains (the best/toughest chains you can buy) for front wheels.

INTERIOR UPGRADES: iphone jack, Clifford security system, and seat covers. Penthouse insulation. Removable captain seat for middle row. SIRIUS satellite radio.15 inch 12volt flat screen tv/dvd player. Secondary auxiliary 1100 WATT invertor for powering tools (works well for blender and laptop when boon docking). A fold out table for dining, and a table that swivels up for rear bench seat ideal for laptop and evening meals.

APPLIANCES: Surbaban propane furnace with thermostat. Vitco 2 burner LP range. Nova Kool electric fridge (operates on battery or shore power automatically).Emerson EH1 hot water dispenser. Sink with hot and cold water faucet, and water tank. FLOJET water pump. 2 auxiliary batteries for powering all appliances and lights separate from main van battery. A factory installed ELIXIR power converter/charger that automatically switches appliances from shore to isolated power. Thetford porta toilet. Marshall propane tank – easily allows you to run furnace, and 2 burner range for weeks!

Mechanical upgrades: I replaced the front sway bar rubber bushings that had worn out. Replaced front UV joint. Replaced worn front hub, and faulty switcher. That's it other than regular oil changes. Previous owner replaced turbo and I have his full history of service records from ford dealer.

See slide show of photos below
http://www.flickr.com//photos/kiwi_adventures/sets/72157633301277013/show/ (for slideshow)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiwi_adventures/sets/72157633301277013/
This vans also was highlighted in a movie last year THE ROADLESS COAST kayaking & surveying for tsunami debri. The first 10 minutes of the film shows the van transporting 3 kayakers to Cape Flattery WA.
http://vimeo.com/52769782
$55,000 Van is in Olympia WA.
Email Jason at kayakthecoast@gmail.com

Attachments

• winter.jpg
    winter.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:

John E Davies

Adventurer
Can you please post the max height, with top down and no gear/ baskets mounted on the rack?

Do you have a maintenance history from the previous owner, and have the 6.0 "issues" been addressed (the EGR cooler, EGR valve, coolant sediment)? Is the engine stock or modified, and if the latter, can you describe it please? Tuner?

What are the gear ratios and tire size? Any lockers or posi or ??

What is the fuel capacity and water capacity?

Does all the rescue gear, fuel cans, roof box and rack, etc shown in the slideshow come as part of the purchase price?

Where did the truck live prior to your obtaining it? Any rust issues?

That is a heck of a nice looking rig.

Thanks for more info.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

4x4kayaker

Observer
John,

the height of the rig is 7'10" this does include the awning which adds 4" to overall van height. I don't think you want to remove, its has bolt on brackets and its awesome!. Excludes all the racks and accessories including box and basket. The wheels are 3-4 months old! E rated tires Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac size 315 75 R16 with an extended lifetime warranty at Discount Tire.
The previous owner lived in Bend OR, a dry climate so not rust issues on any panels. Some surface rust on the wheel lug nuts (time to buy some new ones). I do have the previous owners records, he did get the turbo replaced under warranty. I've had no problems with the 6 engine, and previous owner used it as a daily driver with no hassles. Its been my business weekend kayak rig and used every other weekend for the last three years. I don't know the gear ratio, and I've only had it in 4x4 high range and no serious off road use (just mountain passes and gravel forestry roads). No lockers or posi, sorry. The previous owner was a duck hunter and used the rig for a TV travel show (license plate use to read "BIRDOG"), and he stayed in motels mostly overnight so its been under utilized as a camping rig and appliances never used! Oh he used the fridge to keep his birds on ice!. 30 gal diesel fuel capacity (in summer I have run bio diesel 20% to 50% and have got 1-2 mpg more efficient, and engine runs quieter) 12-14mpg is what vehicle gets. I think the water tank is approx 15 gal? but I don't know for sure. Yes I will sell with all accessories and rescue gear, and rotopax fuel cans, rescue axe, thule and yakima products, flat screen tv and mount etc for asking price. Thanks for all the good questions! Buy it and keep the rig in State!

Last edited:

4x4kayaker

Observer
New front calipers and brake pads, and my final low price of $55,000. Just polished the massive REUNEL chorme front bumper.

Last edited:

4x4kayaker

Observer
Yeah, I was getting a little emotional this past week using it as a daily driver, (my wife is using my 96 4x4 Tacoma -her Honda is in the shop) whilst the buyer is securing financing, getting the thumbs up and sweet ride look from everyone!! New potential owner is a great guy with lots of Alaska and beyond travel plans, so its going to a good home, and I'll make sure he gets hooked on this forum!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I realize the thread is a year old but I've never seen a van that was part Sportsmobile, part GTRV, and part home brew.

I was hoping you could explain a little about who did what, and review your experience with each company including their quality, price, etc.

Thanks,

T.Low

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz