BudgetBuilder 4runner

budgetbuilder

Observer
been super busy lately but i did manage to get a few more things done....

-installed a Wilson 3' flex cb antenna, CB is now working but I need to get a SWR meter on it to make sure im getting optimum performance

-a buddy of mine gave me a small Jensen amp he had laying around, it does'nt have much power but its better than not having an amp. Will replaced with a higher watt amp when I find one, it will do for now.

- installed buss fuse block under the hood

-installed harbor freight auxillary light on the top of my jerry can locking mechanism and tapped it into my reverse lights.

- installed a retractable underhood trouble light (off of an 86 bronco), found it at my local pickapart. wired it up and it didnt work....so i took it apart and cleaned all the terminals and figured out how the mercury switch worked. Note, the mercury switch will not allow the light to work correctly if installed in the wrong position. What a cool junkyard mod.

- installed cup holder, i got one of them universal plastic cup holders from Target and hacked it up. Used the 2 factory screws to hold it in place. Doesnt look all that great but its solid, secure and functional. The small rectangular compartment in the back of the cupholder works great as a cell phone holder too.

TO DO's:
- i received my 4.88 gears .....now i just need to pull the 3rds and have someone install everything for me including the aussie locker (rear).

- front IFS axle boots are torn....need to replace

- need to install 3.5" lift rear shackles

- finish gathering all the pieces for my York OBA system

- DC/AC power inverter

im pretty sure i'll find other stuff to do to it the more dig into these forums! thanks again for all the ideas!

Attachments

• 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

budgetbuilder

Observer
i've been laying low for hot minute...but back at it.

Heres some updates on what i've done (updated pics will follow soon)

4.88 gears front and rear
Aussie Locker (rear)
new front cv axles
fixed leaky rear seal
3.5" lift shackles installed and truck is now level
installed 3rd brake light (from isuzu amigo) behind spare tire
600w amp installed to power my 6x9's

working on some fishing rod holders for the roof rack
drop-in ice chest

budgetbuilder

Observer
ran into another pesky issue....drivetrain noise/buzz on decel as a result of swapping in the 4.88 gears and aussie locker. Truck was down for a good month if not more. The fix was having a custom cv driveshaft built. Its actually smoother now than it was before the gears were installed.

Just got her back on Thursday hopefully i can finish up some of the other things i had planned.

Attachments

• 20140125_162911.jpg
    20140125_162911.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20140125_162900.jpg
    20140125_162900.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 79
  • 20140125_162848.jpg
    20140125_162848.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 77

budgetbuilder

Observer
man I really have to do a better job of keeping up with this thread.....since my last post i have added the following:

-Budbuilt crossmember w/ skid (not completely happy with this item, had some fitment issues and have been working with Bud to resolve)
-Picked up a custom roof rack that fills a good portion of the roof - currently having this welded on (will post pics as soon as I get the truck back)
-Trail Gear diff armor
-installed Killer Toy Top soft top
-installed extra rear window switch in rear cargo area
-pass side idler arm armor

more to come.....

light bar for roof rack
RTT
drop in ice chest
swapping out BFG 32's for 33's
500w power inverter

Attachments

• 20140616_200938 (1).jpeg
    20140616_200938 (1).jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20140727_133215.jpg
    20140727_133215.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 61
  • mms95img-1122246515.jpg
    mms95img-1122246515.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

budgetbuilder

Observer
thanks rickashay!

Just got the truck back from a new fabricator im trying out.....he integrated the roof rack I picked up on CL for $20. He also welded on the diff armor.
Im really satisfied with how it came out!

Im now looking for a 35" light bar for the front of the rack.

Attachments

• 20140802_160151.jpg
    20140802_160151.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20140802_160125.jpg
    20140802_160125.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 78

budgetbuilder

Observer
finally got around to installing the MV50 i had laying around. I installed it under the passenger side floorboard to the frame and the slider helps protect it. I had to remove the handle for it to fit. I plan on adding some sort of skid plate for added protectection and to keep it from getting to dirty. I routed the wiring and battery clamps up to the engine bay.

After reading this thread, i now wish i would have taken it apart before installing it. Oh well project for another day!
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/131953-bfads-superflow-mv-50-air-compressor-build-2.html

Attachments

• 20140819_210754.jpeg
    20140819_210754.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20140819_210323.jpeg
    20140819_210323.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 68

budgetbuilder

Observer
harder to explain than I thought ......but there is a hinged piece that comes down on top of the center gas can handles (mounted to the swing out ). The hinged piece has a place where I can put a lock through it so that it cannot be lifted up.

pic attached....

Attachments

• 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 54

budgetbuilder

Observer
to cut or not to cut?

I recently came across a Nautique in floor cooler insert. I was thinking of installing it in the bed of my 4runner.

my concerns are:
-Location - the frame crossmembers underneath the bed will only allow me to install it in the center about a foot behind the rear axle. Not the ideal location, I was hoping to have it as close to the tail gate as possible so I could just stick my arms in and grab stuff out of it.
-Lid - the lid is another concern as it currently does not have one. Since this cooler insert was out of a boat the lid was part of floor of the boat which the previous owner obviously kept. I would need to make a lid that seals and sits recessed with the floor.

Thoughts?Ideas? Has anyone did anything like this or do you have any links to any in floor cooler builds?

I attached a pic of the only one I could find online and it states it comes factory on a 2009 Dodge Journey.

After cutting and dropping in the recessed cooler insert I was planning on wrapping/sealing it real good with R5 foam and then with thick reflective tape. As for the cover, I recently bought a trap door recessed hinge and was thinking of making the lid out of wood, door rubber sealing strip and R5 foam on the inside.

I also mounted a Thor 400w power inverter in the center console....will post pics of that soon.

Attachments

• 2009-dodge-journey-in-floor-cooler-photo-193221-s-520x318.jpg
    2009-dodge-journey-in-floor-cooler-photo-193221-s-520x318.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 52

Clay

Adventurer
Are you going to put an auxiliary tank under your truck? I'm not too sure I would go with that cooler personally, I would tend to stack gear over it. I have seen guys build a storage compartment under the floor boards like that to carry spare fluids and things that are good to have, but not needed regularly. It involved moving the cross member out of the way that the spare tire used to hang from and some fab work, but its doable.

budgetbuilder

Observer
When you say auxiliary tank are you referring to fuel? If so, no plans for that at the moment since I have two 5g fuel tanks on the tire swing.

I removed the spare tire brackets and chain but the crossmember is still there. If I recall the crossmember is welded to the frame.

I agree with you, most of the time during the trip the bed will be filled with gear and it will be inaccessible during that time until we hit the camp spot.

Let me also mention I had somewhat of a dual purpose idea....i was going to rig the drain plug with a hose and spicket so that i can use the water for washing hands etc once the ice had melted.

Are you going to put an auxiliary tank under your truck? I'm not too sure I would go with that cooler personally, I would tend to stack gear over it. I have seen guys build a storage compartment under the floor boards like that to carry spare fluids and things that are good to have, but not needed regularly. It involved moving the cross member out of the way that the spare tire used to hang from and some fab work, but its doable.

knox

Observer
Two questions. Has your gas mileage drastically decreased with all the armor on there now? and would you have considered that exo cage roof rack with the hard top? trying to decide my options for a RTT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior