Scepters flat on roof rack

NikonRon

Adventurer
Anyone hauling scepters laying flat on a roof rack or see any problem with doing so? Mostly just for decreased height and wind resistance. Ron

Woodsman

Adventurer
I do it all the time and others do quite often as well. As long as you have good gaskets they should be leak free. I tested mine on a hot day on the sidewalk just to make sure they would not drip.

NikonRon

Adventurer
I'd never seen anyone haul them that way so wasn't really sure if maybe there was some reason not to. Thanks, Ron

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I used to carry them this way before I got another rack solution for my FJ. I carried both water and gas this way and never had any troubles. Just make sure you crank the caps down tight, and check for leakage periodically.

dimensions of 10 L and 20 L

I have talked to several people in the past about this subject. A 'better safer route' for roof mounted scepters would be the smaller 10L scepter runts, carried upright they are just under 14" tall compared to a 20L @ 20" tall
a flat lying scepter is 7" and people do carry them lying flat but I would not, far to risky dangerous and expensive if a cap loosened cracked or had a gasket failure. Water cans fine but diesel or gas NO WAY I would as the bumpy offroads anything can happen!!

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I have talked to several people in the past about this subject. A 'better safer route' for roof mounted scepters would be the smaller 10L scepter runts, carried upright they are just under 14" tall compared to a 20L @ 20" tall
a flat lying scepter is 7" and people do carry them lying flat but I would not, far to risky dangerous and expensive if a cap loosened cracked or had a gasket failure. Water cans fine but diesel or gas NO WAY I would as the bumpy offroads anything can happen!!

I think your concerns, while valid, can all easily be mitigated with a routine inspection of the cans, caps and gaskets. Something that we all should probably do regardless of how we choose to carry our Scepters.

theksmith

Explorer
i carry them flat or tall on the rack depending on how much other stuff i need to put up there. i had to replace the gaskets after a few years when i noticed that one started to weep a little bit (was obvious after a dusty trail).

i've had them swell up to half round in the Arizona sun and from changing elevation before, no problems (well other than needing a wrench to loosen the cap when it's like that). i run a ratchet strap in each direction on it since i don't have a dedicated mount to keep it secure.

P1060830.JPG

i've lots of people carry Rotopax flat as well and not heard of any failures. i trust the cap on the Sceptre a lot more than Rotopax.

Honu

lost on the mainland
The other way I carry them is on the thin side cap up

We did have a scepter tank leak on our trailer !
Something flew up cut it and started leaking and we could smell it driving !
Pulled over and lucky we only lost about a gallon or so :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles