coolant leak

BirchHill

goat farmer
I have a coolant leak that is coming from the gasket were some kind of coolant crossover pipe ties into back of passenger side head. Its not more then a slow seep and it looks about impossible to get to. I have heard that you have to drop the trans to reach it but, to me it looks like you could just pull the upper intake and worst case pull lower and valve cover to reach it. Any one have any experience with this leak or have a coolant schematic diagram they could post up? Thanks for any info on the best way to address this leak.
2002 v6 w/176k miles

stioc

Expedition Leader
Download the factory service manual (FSM) here: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/

Look at the lc.pdf file (cooling system). There's a water control valve in the vicinity you're talking about...it's basically a second thermostat. Outside of that it could be the heater hoses or freeze plugs in the engine block that are 'usually' in that area but I haven't had to look on this particular engine so far.

Do post your findings here and over at NPORA which is a Pathfinder specific forum.

BirchHill

goat farmer
Thanks for the link, it helped verify along with using a small mirror that the leak is coming from the junction were coolant exits RH head into coolant pipe. Looks like a major pain to access. Hoping it can be reached after removing intake manifold. Know of any one who has fixed this before.?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Here's a better pic of the hoses, can you identify which part# ?

210B%2001.jpg

BirchHill

goat farmer
Looks like I need gasket # 11062 Now the big question is method of access. From what I can find using google the trans has to be dropped to access but, Im thinking pulling up intake and maybe valve cover to get enough room to reach from the top.

Ok so I spoke to one of our Master techs here at the Infiniti dealership and he said you can do it by taking the trans out or you can do it the way he does it which is from the top. You have to remove the upper plenum and all the other stuff in the way and it is at least a 4 hour job for him. So if you have never done it plan on more than that. He said the crossover pipe won't come all the way off the studs so you are gonna have to cut slits in the stud holes of the gaskets to slip it on. The job is a huge pain in the *** basically. Especially for a $5 gasket or two.

stioc

Expedition Leader
^ awesome info! thanks.

Can you please ask him about two things for me while we're discussing the cooling system stuff? My R50 has 130k miles on it and I just got a new radiator, thermostat and cap for it. In his experience does the water control valve (basically a 2nd thermostat) that's towards the firewall and waterpump need to be changed when getting into the 130-150k range?

Both the waterpump and that rear thermostat seem like a PITA to replace (like with most things on these engines that are shoe horned into a small hood)?

In my experience I have sold 4 in the past few years and the mileage of those vehicles was 202k, 197k, 168k, 112k. A few of those the customer stated the car overheated and or was leaking coolant. They were all Infiniti QX4 models. Waterpump I would say no unless it failed. I have only sold 4 of those in 7 years here.

BirchHill

goat farmer
Ok so I spoke to one of our Master techs here at the Infiniti dealership and he said you can do it by taking the trans out or you can do it the way he does it which is from the top. You have to remove the upper plenum and all the other stuff in the way and it is at least a 4 hour job for him. So if you have never done it plan on more than that. He said the crossover pipe won't come all the way off the studs so you are gonna have to cut slits in the stud holes of the gaskets to slip it on. The job is a huge pain in the *** basically. Especially for a $5 gasket or two.
Great info! I would have been beating my head against a wall before I thought about cutting slits in the gasket stud openings. So, why im into it based on stioc question would it make sense to replace the water control valve as well since its all apart?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles