solid state disks

jeff@work

Adventurer
I realize these have been discussed a bit in other threads but I thought I would make a new thread just for these. I have a small Sony Vaio T-140 that is going on...geez almost 2 years old now. It was originally equipped with a 1.8" 40 gb 4200 rpm hard drive... not exactly setting any speed records there. I recently replaced it with this 32gb samsung solid state disk http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147021 and it feels like a brand new computer :wings: I'm seeing about 50 mb/s read time and 11 mb/s write time. Unfortunately I didn't do a speed test of my old disk before replacing it but for a comparable setup with a 4200 rpm drive I've seen read and write times around 11 read/ 10 write. As you can see the write time is nothing to get too excited about but the read time is fantastic and it makes it easy to load large map files and speeds up loading of programs and windows boot up.

Plus no moving parts, shock resistant, silent (might not sound like much but it's kinda cool having a completely silent laptop!), lower battery usage, less heat generated, and finally .... a more streamlined and lighter wallet :oops: haha actually i picked it up for $400 and that included a 300 gb 3.5" hard drive for free, not too bad.

My setup is to use this as the OS drive with all my programs on it along with the current maps I'm using and then have a 2.5" external usb drive for the remainder of my data storage.

I haven't really done any battery life comparisons to before and after and it would be kinda difficult because so much of battery life depends on what brightness i'm running the screen at, if i'm using wifi or not, and if i'm using my verizon wireless card... pfft that thing is a battery hog!

I guess i just wanted to throw this post up to remind people that these drives are finally becoming reasonable to purchase. From what I understand several laptop manufacturers are offering these as upgrade options on new laptops. I feel the upgrade is worth it but check the specs on the ssd before purchasing...the read and write times can vary widely between brands. For my use fast write time wasn't necessary but the fast read time and the shock resistance are what i was after, it has given new life to my little sony!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles