20' toy hauler that sleeps 8

oughtsix

I haven't been able to find what I am looking for in a trailer. My thoughts are a relatively compact trailer (7'6" wide x 20' long x 7'10" tall), relatively lightweight but with room to sleep a family of 4 when the kids want to bring some friends along. I doubt if I will actually build one but if I did I was considering something like the following. I have it sketched out with 2x2 tubing. I am thinking it would make a good day trailer for snow mobiles or quads with an accessible shower and toilet when the wings are folded up and then be able to fold down the beds for a good weekend trailer.

The fold downs could fit 2 king mattresses on each side. My thoughts are to have feet facing in allowing each person easy bed in/out access without having to crawl over anyone. I would use canvas to enclose the sleeping area probably with a single support hoop. I could partition the beds on each side with a piece of canvas between the beds. I could then further use canvas to cover the interior openings making 4 individual bedrooms offering a bit of privacy.

I was thinking about two enclosed rooms at the front of the trailer where the lady is standing. One for a shower and one for a toilet. Between the two doors I would put a sink allowing it to be used while someone was in the toilet room and someone else in the shower room.

I haven't figured out a kitchen yet but I was thinking of an external kitchen.

Storage space seems greatly lacking. I was thinking of possible ceiling mounted cabinets. Maybe some floor cabinets in front of the beds.

Other than the fold down toy door I haven't figured out where to put another door. I might have to shift the wings forward to allow for a side door. Or maybe just put a swinging door in the middle of the fold down door to allow access with the fold down door up?

Just kicking some ideas around! Feel free to comment.

Trailor003.jpg

bonomonster

Adventurer
I like your ideas. I'm not sure how many you are planning to sleep but I would eliminate one of the fold down bunks and replace it with a door and some large opening windows. On the outside I would put an awning to expand living space. For a kitchen I was thinking a rolling island on 8" rubber wheels that could be stored in the trailer, then wheeled under the awning for an outdoor mobile kitchen. I would also add supports to the rear door so that after everything is unloaded, it could get raised even with the interior floor and become a "deck" or put up some canvas and use an air mattress. Just some ideas....... I've been kicking around a smaller version, except using a 6x8 trailer to take offroad. Mine would have an outdoor shower.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Taking one wall out like you are thinking, might work, but both will spell disaster I think. It would have to be incredibly over built lower frame. If you figured a way to make it work, the fold down would have to have some sort of attachment to main upper frame to support it. The upper frame supports the lower and vice versa. Taking out all the stability of the wall over the wheel wells is something I would never do.

Just my opinion, others may have a better idea of what you are trying to do. But the whole side is lot different than the livin light photos I saw.

Bob

oughtsix

I appreciate all the feedback!

I really like the idea of the rolling kitchen unit! I was thinking of something similar. I was thinking of wheeling a kitchen unit out to the rear fold down door. I was also thinking of having the rear door suspended (probably via chains) as you also mentioned to make a living area out of it. And most likely screen it in with some no-see-um netting. I hadn't made it all the way to larger wheels on the kitchen unit so it can be rolled outside... Brilliant!

My crew consists of me, my girlfriend, my 8 year old daughter and my girl friend's 9 year old son. A mixed family makes the extra privacy a bit more important. In reality both kids will probably want to bring a friend along making room for sleeping 6 more practical than sleeping 8. (My crew cab duramax only seats 6 anyway) As mentioned by bonomonster sleeping 6 would allow me to shorten one of the fold downs to half its size giving me more wall space for a door and also for latching the kitchen unit to for transportation and occasional interior cooking.

My thoughts on the bed foldouts is to have them hinge 14" above the floor which would also put them above the wheel wells. A good strong hinge would be key to proper performance. As jjkrem shows the fold outs could be simply suspended by chains. I would also probably have some adjustable legs on the outermost corners of the fold downs to stabilize the beds. Mostly to minimize trailer movement when people enter/exit the beds or even just roll over during the night. The Quicksilver VRV linked to above is very similar to what I had in mind for a toy hauler. One of that designs critical flaws seems to me to be the orientation of the fold out beds. One person would always have to be crawling the other for a midnight potty trip. Rotate the bed orientation 90 degrees and everyone has their own dismount over the foot of the bed without crawling over the other person. Does anyone know the price on the VRV's? I love their all aluminum construction!

I hit a string of unique fold out trailers on youtube. I am sure the trailer posted above was one of them. (So I won't try to claim having an original idea.) In looking at the different fold out trailer ideas on youtube it dawned on me that the ideas should adapt to a toy hauler quite well. I also like the idea that when we go for day trips that having a shower, toilet and changing room would be very nice.

I haven't figured out storage yet. I was thinking of surrounding the mattresses with cubies with doors on them for some clothing storage. This would allow the cubies to be accessed when the bed is in the upright position or laying down in the horizontal position. I will try to draw up a visual of what I am thinking.

I'll play around with my model a bit to incorporate these ideas and post again in a few days.

Please feel free to add any input!

Last edited:

bonomonster

Adventurer
For storage, get some heavy duty hooks at the foot of each bed. Most back packs now come with a handle on top. You can hang each persons back pack right at their feet. Then bring one extra so for dirty laundry. This should work well for the kids friends also. Something like this:
2enysebu.jpg

On the opposite side of the beds, I would also add a long bench with storage space underneath. This should give tons of storage, plus if its cold out or something, you can put a table between the bunks and the bench to eat/hangout inside. The kitchen Island could be designed with all your storage for pots, pans, etc..... and instead of strapping it to the wall, just strap it to the floor. You will want floor tie downs anyway for quads and such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz