Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Buddy Expedition-Austin to Ushuaia!

Chiclayo Peru was like Afghanistan or some bombed out country

D.O.T....what's that??

Truck envy, these folks are from Holland and just bought this GLOBAL EXPEDITION VEHICLE

Eating home cooking, chicken strips with bbq sauce, greens and carrots....the local food isn't that tasty

One of the most valuable options on our truck

Riding in a Tuk Tuk

The local kids are quite curious about us and our truck

Puyango Ecuador, sketchy bridge crossing

Heading into the bush in Southern Ecuador

Bananas, we got 'em

Please "LIKE" The Buddy Expedition on Facebook!

Machalla Ecuador

Traffic, narrow streets and loco Ecuadorians make for an awesome time...

Camping in the town square in Esmereldas

Uma crawling up 18% grades in the Andes

Clean laundry and hot showers are a luxury at times

You know you've stayed too long when you've trampled the grass to death

Our new drawer totally made a difference here, now we can stow our suitcases on the roof instead of having them in our salon

Great pics and update!!!!!
    Moto's, Bikes, Cruisers, and Overland Vehicles

When we left the El Brujo ruins, we headed straight to Huaraz, the long way. We ended up doing a lot of off road to reach our destination only to discover it wasn't quite what we were looking for.

We broke one of our rules, we drove at night on a sometimes single lane road through tunnels and sheer drop offs. At one point we met a large dump truck but fortunately there was a pull out for him as we were half way through the tunnel. After several hours of night driving, we came upon an encampment at a hidroelectrica (Spanish spelling)project and they allowed us to camp in their parking lot.

Since Huaraz was a bust we decided to hit Chavin and do some hiking, however after spending only one night at 4500', the next three days were shear agony due to altitude sickness (15,000). It's amazing the difference between 10k and 15k, it was so uncomfortable we laid in bed watching movies on getting up occasionally for water and a bathroom break.

The views were spectacular as were the sheep wranglers and sparse vegetation. After a while we decided it was best to head back down to sea level and the road we were on allowed us to basically coast for 46 miles!!

We reached the town of Barranca and decided to keep going only to pass by a small sign that offered camping, so we turned and found a little slice of paradise called Albufera de Medio Mundo.

The first night there was a group of college kids having a campout with their teachers and a huge bonfire to which we were invited to. The next day all of them wanted pictures of us as I think they thought we had something to do with the Dakar Rally.

After they left it was totally serene, not a soul in sight other than the manager, Pedro, who caught tilapia in the fresh water lake for lunch that he served us. We decided to invite him and his son for a true home cooked meal of bbq chicken, bbq pork, beef, coleslaw, potato salad and cole slaw. They must've liked it because there was hardly enough scraps for the dogs and cats that we befriended

After a week of lounging around there, we headed to Lima and found The Hitchhikers Hostel in Miraflores and I must say, this place is awesome. It's a cross between NYC, Dallas and San Francisco with some excellent restaurants, museums and architecture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_of_Cao

Sketchy bridge # 354

Camping at 15,000'

GOT COAL??

Cordillera Blanco

There's a ton more on our FB page, THE BUDDY EXPEDITION....take the foil hats off, I promise Obama won't see you :>)

Every country has different propane bottles so I started buying just the regulators and filling my own bottles

Stuff for our remodel of UMA

Tony the dog taunting our stray kitty....btw, the kitty wins every time

It's sad when every vehicle you see you say, "that would make a great overland rig"

Peru is getting more modern as we travel South...

Our home in Huanchaco for the next month

Tommy the tortoise

Peacocks too

Pimental Peru, some dude built some pyramids at his hostel

Deserted beach, of course it's Winter here

Another satisfied stray with a full belly

Not all of our campsites are glamorous

Damn, it's been a while....I try a Cliff Notes version as not to bore you:

We made it to Chile, Termas Del Flaco to be exact, what a killer little village at the end of a 40+ mile dirt road on the Argentine border. It's a spectacular place with some crazy views, old abandoned buildings, thermals, waterfalls and hot in the day time and freezing cold at night.

That's as far South as we went due to time constraints and deciding to drive back to the States through Central America and Mexico.

We had some truck issues, but nothing complicated or that I couldn't handle. Dirty fuel and a course filter that I couldn't see, so we spent the night at a customs check point in the middle of no where, could've broken down in BFE, but UMA wouldn't do that to us. I cleaned it and hauled butt to Antofagasta to buy two new one's.

As we exited Chile back into Peru, the aduana confiscated our chicken, veggies, peanut butter, garlic but they didn't find our rosemary plant that we've been smuggling since Colombia, screw 'em, they ate good that night.

We are back in Huanchaco Peru now and we're trying to make Banos Ecuador for Christmas, but after I had a brake cylinder rebuilt, they flubbed the axle seal so I have to return on Monday. Right as I pulled into the shop, UMA's radiator let go so now I have a new, custom built 4 row one that should allow me to run cooler in the higher altitudes. I honestly believe UMA has a soul because she never stranded us out in the middle of now where and she really takes good care of us. I got her all lubed, oil changed, filters, clutch adjusted, new brake fluid, idle adjusted with new cable and a rebuilt brake cylinder, she runs better than ever except for the leaky axle seal.

We finally met Nate and Sara from The Long Way South and are going to spend Christmas with them here at Huanchaco Gardens.

As I left Lima, a total crap hole of a city, I forgot to turn my headlights on in the daytime and a Policia Nacional cop flagged me over and tried to get me to pay him a 300 soles fine. I explained to him I forgot to turn them back on after fueling and thanked him for reminding me and that a fine/ticket wasn't necessary since I don't carry cash nor do I speak Espanol. He was adamant about getting something from me so I kept telling him "no entiendo" and he got frustrated and gave me my license back. They make $400 per month, so I can't blame him for trying to pimp me on a small "propina".

Last night we hit the town of Huanchaco looking to have some drinks and eats with Nate and Sara and by some horrible fate, I got food poisoning and had the Aztec two step all night....felt like one of the little dudes was in my gut jabbing a spear into my small intestine.

I'll post some pics soon, the WIFI is dodgy here and it keeps booting me off and is slower than dial up!!!

We're taking a new ferry from Colombia to Panama around the Darien Gap, hopefully these folks get their permits in time for us to cross, otherwise I have to do a RORO and the bums will steal all my stuff. The ferry allows you to stay with your vehicle and only takes one to two days where the RORO (roll on roll off) takes 10 days.

Our goal is to hammer through Central America to Mexico, then take another ferry from Mazatlan to Baja, then we'll drag our feet to Tijuana and then to see my new grandson in Yosemite!!!!!
    Last edited by TheBuddyExpedition; 12-22-2013 at 07:29 PM.

This one had me a bit worried...

Me want!

Tropic Of Capricorn

Great pics.
    2010 Nissan Armada SE..., KING OF THE ROAD
    2008 Nissan Maxima SE..., CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

My Build/Maintenance/Modification thread...
    http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/sho...=24056&page=11 King of the Road
    http://my6thgen.org/f13/emiles-petitfreremaxima-17985/ Catch Me If You Can

That picture of the little girl with the pistol grabs me.

Thanks for the wonderful story.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast