Buckstopper's FG Build

Buckstopper

Adventurer
I have been planning on posting my build as soon as I have some spare time. Well, on a non-roughing it trip to SoCal with my wife without the truck and figured this is as good as its going to get for time to post. My truck is about 80 - 90% done at this point so this will retrospective to some extent.

I will start at the beginning I was driving a 2001 F350 that I purchased used from the good folks at Buckstop Bumbers. They had used it as to prototype vehicle to develop their bumpers for that series of trucks. That is where my handle came from...it is really the name of my old truck - the original buckstopper. The thing was a beast and had a hard side camper on it an was a very capable off road rig. A friend of mine asked if I would sell it to him and I figured it was time to start a new project. I sold him the truck and camper and started the search for a different way to travel.

What I wanted:
- Good off-road capability but didn't need to be a hard core rock crawler. Most of my off-road is Forest Service Road type travel in summer and mountain snow travel in winter. We like to travel to various places to ski - mostly in the Cascades so I spend more time in 4 wheel drive in the winter than in the summer.

- I wanted to be able to park in standard parking spot. We would pull into Bend or Sisters in Oregon with the old Buckstopper to grab food and have to find a vacant parking lot to park and hike to the restaurant or store. This was a cause of grief from my wife. The new truck needs to park anywhere.

- Along with parking it needs to maneuver well. The F350 had a roughly 4 block turning radius and getting around in parking lots was a challenge - especially when they are covered in snow.

- I want to keep it as stock as possible. The Ford was lifted, chipped and aftermarket parts from end to end. it all worked pretty well but I am to the point in my life that I want to simplify and keep in simple. My DD is a Porsche 914 converted to full electric power and it has some quirks. This is ok if you are able to call AAA for a tow home. Not so good if you are out in the boonies. This one is going to stay stock.

- Diesel. Nuff said.

- Along with keeping the truck stock, I want to construct the bed and camper with as many stock components as possible. With the current economy we seem to be one disaster or crisis away from some sort of meltdown and I figure that it will be easier to liquidate a commercial truck with standard bed and camper components than it would be to sell a dedicated RV.

- I also want to procure as much as possible used. Why pay full price for new when you can get good solid stuff used at a fraction of the cost.

Thats the initial design outline. I stumbled onto the expedition portal before I started to work on this and have to say that some of the posts of various rigs here were my inspirations for this project. I looked at Sprinter conversions and thought that would be good platform but 4x4 was not much of an option in the US unless it was an aftermarket conversion. At the time Mercedes was taking a hard line on aftermarket conversions and voiding warranty. Sounds like that has softened a bit but the conversions are really spend. I looked at Unimogs but wasn't thrilled with the highway capability. If I had to choose between highway and super off-road I have to say my diving needs lean more towards highway with snow and some off-road. The reality is that I am likely never going to leave NA with this rig.

I landed on the FG because factory 4x4, small size, economy from the small diesel and it is a commercial vehicle so it is designed and built to take much worse than I will ever dish out. I figured that if I could find a decent used one I could always sell it for what I had into it. A crew cab would be nice but not going to happen in the US. I started watching Craig's List and Truck websites and soon discovered that used FG's are a nearly mythical thing in the US, especially the west coast. I finally saw an ad for a 2005 SWB flatbed in Montana (read - no rust) so I called the dealer and locked the truck up sight unseen. I was able to have it checked out by a local mechanic who turned out to have serviced the truck previously and he gave a good report so I flew out to Montana with a check and drove it home...empty, I might add.
IMG_0073.JPG
Once I got home and had my back straightened out at the Chiropractors I got to work on it. It had been used as a oilers rig by a Montana excavation/landsape business so it had seen plenty of off-road use but only had 75K miles. The bed was a heavy steel flatbed with a 100 gallon transfer tank and various tool boxes. It was also pretty well beat up and full of holes where compressors and welders and whatever had been mounted. I figured that the bed should go and that I would replace it with as much aluminum as possible to lighten things up.

I'll post this much now and add some photos shortly...if I can figure out how.

Last edited:

Buckstopper

Adventurer
I find the stock seats to be quite comfortable, even after a trip from VA to CA, and back.
There isn't much that can make any seat comfortable in an empty Fuso.:smiley_drive: The first deadhead trip was from 750 miles Montana to Oregon and I did another 1250 miles going to pick up the camper at Hallmark. The truck was a work truck in its previous life so the seats are a bit trashed. Replacing or recovering is on the to-do list.
IMG_0080.JPG

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
check out an air ride forklift seat that I posted in another thread
Not wishing to be rude, but that forklift seat is not an air suspension seat, it is a mechanical suspension seat.
Also, you will probably find that you cannot just buy the base of this seat by itself and use it on another bucket seat.

Scott Brady

Founder
Doug Hackney installed some really nice seats in his Fuso. They took the edge off and I believe were air/hydraulic.

The EarthCruiser I drove in Australia also had a nice suspension seat. Sitting over the front axle really exaggerates the input to the driver.
386475_10150702243578275_713427513_n.jpg

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Also be aware that most suspension seats will be higher and in the case of the stratos, forward. Not helpful if you are tall

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Doug Hackney installed some really nice seats in his Fuso.
Doug, and some others over your way, have installed the National air suspension seats. Not having used these myself, I cannot comment on their comfort level, but I believe that they are okay.
From what I have been told (by Westyss, who also has National air suspension seats) is that there is no dedicated passenger seat, meaning that the controls are on the left hand side for both seats.
The Eathcruiser has Stratos suspension seats fitted, which are mechanical, not air.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Update

I'll come back to the suspension seat question but I thought I should post some more photos and an update on the build.

The concept of the build was to put an aluminum flat bed on the truck similar to this photo from Highway Products in Souther Oregon:

IMG_0086.jpg

The idea was to use a slide in camper and have the tunnel box at the head of the flatbed be low enough that the camper overhead would cantilever over it. The front of the camper would be just behind the cab. To do this the camper should be about 14' long overall and preferably have an east-west bed configuration so the overhang was shorter. I looked at several campers both new and used in Portland and did't find anything I liked. I looked at Hallmarks website and the Ute shortbed model is 14' long with the east west bed. The popup would keep it about cab height when down so that seemed like a good fit. The challenge was to find one in Oregon.

Thanks to Craigslist I found a few in Colorado and finally finally made a deal with a gentleman in Denver that had a 2007 Ute Shortbed that was pretty much what I wanted. I contacted the factory in Fort Lupton, just north of Denver and they agreed to check the camper out if it it was ok to help me load it. The seller agreed to drive it to the Hallmark so I headed to Colorado to pick it up. I have to say that the folks at Hallmark were great to work with and very helpful. I would highly recommend them.

Before I could get the camper I needed to change the bed out because the steel bed was too wide for the camper to sit on it. I happened to drive by a trailer sales yard and noticed some aluminum flatbeds stacked in the corner of the lot. They were made by Aluma the trailer company that the lot sold. They had a 9' 6" x 84" bed that would work and it was reduced to clear inventory so I bought it and they helped remove the old bed and mount to new one. I had no way to lift the old bed so having them lift it with a forklift was a big help. In contrast two of us lifted the new aluminum bed onto the truck without the forklift. Big difference in weight.

So, with the new bed on the truck I headed to Colorado. I wanted to have some tools along because i didn't know what I would need to do to the bed or camper to get it mounted so I bolted a gang box to the high part of the frame behind the cab. Here is the truck with the Hallmark Ute camper at the Hallmark factory:

IMG_0121.jpg

You can see the bed sides held on with a bungee cord because they hit the side of the camper. I had welded up some tie-down points the night before I left and took a guess where they should be and luckily got it right and the camper just fit.

We had temporarily mounted to bed hard to the frame using the old bed subframe. Once I had the camper back in Oregon I knew that I needed to take everything apart and remount it but we took it camping to the Oregon coast before I took it apart again. We also took it Skiing at Mt. Bachelor in Central Oregon and also tailgating at OSU games. Everything worked well but the truck looked pretty funny with the gap between the bed and the cab. I pulled to yellow tool box off because it was pretty tough to access with the camper overhang.

IMG_0207.jpg

This was February 2. Groundhogs Day and my first day of retirement so now the build could really get underway.

This is a pretty long post so I'll post more later but here is a teaser shot of the truck with the bed re-mounted and some of the new aluminum tool boxes mounted. It has under-bed tool boxes now along with a bike garage in the gap between the camper the and bed bulkhead. I welded up a spare tire rack today that will fit between the tunnel box and the cab. More later.

IMG_0267.jpg

Buckstopper.

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Looks great ! It is nice to hear you got not only a deal on your camper, but also a great find and deal on your aluminum flat bed.
It is interesting about what a great difference the weight between the steel and aluminum was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior