Buckstopper's FG Build

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If I can make another comment about your mounts...
In one of your images I see that a lower mount is secured to the chassis with only two horizontal bolts.
The bracket I am talking about is the one directly behind the step in the chassis, and this is an area that receives much higher stresses than areas that are further to the rear.

This mounting method does not give a lot of support to the bracket and does not transfer load well to the chassis.
If you could add an additional bolt further down the bracket (utilising an existing hole in the chassis) this would be much better.
Just a thought...

B85

Adventurer
Some shots from my old F250. You did a good job out on the dirt!
Randy.
DSC03405.JPG
DSC03413.JPG
DSC03414.JPG

Good times!:wings:

westyss

Explorer
Buckstopper, good on ya for getting a rig up and running so fast!

A couple of comments for ya, first, if you are looking to replace those seats with original ones I still have mine sitting in my basement wrapped in plastic, they have maybe 1000km's of butt time on them before I swapped out for National seats. If you head this way you can have them but im not mailing anything anywhere! I am in BC Canada.

The national seats are extremely comfortable but take up some space in the cab and will need some modification to fit and as a result you will sit up a bit taller than original seats would, the ride will become better once the air bag softens up a bit but at the start are stiff, my wifes seat is still fairly stiff because she is lighter and her seat has had less use than mine.
I believe in retrospect that I would not go to air seats if I had done the suspension mod prior to the seats. I have found that occasionally we are bombing around with no air in the bags and did not notice for a while.

I recommend that you have a look at your frame when you are flexed out to see what is happening, lay on your back and peruse the frame! look down the frame from different angles etc. I found that my frame looks to be very twisted when flexing but upon further inspection turned out to be a wierd dynamic of twists and lift that is hard to describe in words but just simply is wierd! But that is with my setup and yours appears to be a different beast altogether with the camper frame not extending to the rear of the cab. Once you see what your rig's frame is doing then maybe you can come up with what mods need to be done if any.

Anyway, looks good and happy travels

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Time for an update! My retirement turned into more of a sabbatical as I went back to work shortly after OX13. New job involves a lot of travel...mostly in the US and mostly in an airplane. The Fuso has been feeling a bit neglected so I got back to work on it. I did some tidying up on the wiring and plumbing in the camper and removed the front tiedowns and replaced them with bolts through the floor directly through the bed. I also added positioners around the bottom of the camper so the camper is held in place mechanically. I will replace the rear tiedowns as well but it will take some time to figure out where. Access is limited.

The big news is the I have ordered parabolic springs, shocks and bumpstops from All Terrain Warriors,USA. I also ordered wheels from them so I will be converting to super singles. I expect the parts to be here the first of next week.

More to follow!

Buckstopper

Buckstopper

Adventurer
I don't have the springs yet. They are somewhere between Oz and the US. I can hardly wait to get them here and get them mounted.

The singles are great. In fact I was really surprised how they improved the ride. I really think that the difference is the larger diameter rolls over bumps instead of trying to plow thru them. Even my wife noticed which is a very good thing. I will be driving up to Plain Washington next week for NW Overland Rally and will watch the gas mileage pretty closely. I'll let you know the results.

Buckstopper

gait

Explorer
possibly tyre pressure as well as diameter. There's a connection between vehicle weight (tyre load), speed and tyre pressure for a given tyre. Comfort isn't part of the calculation but lower tyre pressure is generally more comfortable. At vehicle of 4.5 tonne the Toyos are vastly over rated and tyre pressure can be relatively low. I check the tyre profile (does it look right) and temperature (minimum can I keep my hand on it) just in case. Over rating is probably big contributor to only one puncture in 3 years of rough roads and tracks.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I don't have the springs yet. They are somewhere between Oz and the US. I can hardly wait to get them here and get them mounted.

The singles are great. In fact I was really surprised how they improved the ride. I really think that the difference is the larger diameter rolls over bumps instead of trying to plow thru them. Even my wife noticed which is a very good thing. I will be driving up to Plain Washington next week for NW Overland Rally and will watch the gas mileage pretty closely. I'll let you know the results.

Buckstopper

Hi ********,

There was a large pallet of gear left our yard bound for ATWUSA a couple of days ago.

Regards John

Buckstopper

Adventurer
John,

Thanks for that good news. That confirms what ATWUSA told me. I wish that ship safe travels and that the US Customs guys are in a good mood and get it through quickly.

Gatsma

Adventurer
Hey ********-

Any updates on how the truck is doing?
Did you get the new springs put in?
One question about your subframe. I noticed that it uses channel side members and round tube crossmembers. What sizes channel and tubing did you use?
Have you noticed whether the subframe does any flexing due to being "limited" by the sprung mounts? Judging by how stout you constructed it, I doubt it flexes at all!
Thank you in advance for any info!

Gary

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Hey ********-

Any updates on how the truck is doing?
Did you get the new springs put in?
One question about your subframe. I noticed that it uses channel side members and round tube crossmembers. What sizes channel and tubing did you use?
Have you noticed whether the subframe does any flexing due to being "limited" by the sprung mounts? Judging by how stout you constructed it, I doubt it flexes at all!
Thank you in advance for any info!

Gary

ATW springs are installed! They make a huge difference in the ride. Unfortunately I left town on a business trip the day after I got them on the truck so I have not had it off road yet but I can say that they have made a huge difference on the highway. I hope to flex it a bit this coming weekend and will take some photos and give a longer report.

As for the subframe there is zero flex. The longitudinal members are 6" structural channel and the cross members are 4" schedule 40 pipe. It does not flex. In fact I may go to stiffer isolation springs to force the suspension to do more flexing now that it has the capability to do so. In theory, since the subframe is stiffer than the Fuso frame, the suspension should deflect to the point where the bump stops are engaged then the subframe springs should start to deflect. This would minimize frame twist and subsequent fatigue. Make the suspension do its job before the frame, right? At least that's my theory.

I hope to find a place where I can get it to full flex and take some pictures of the frame from under the truck to see what is really happening. I'd like to mount a gopro under there...maybe next year at expo.

I'll post more info and some photos when can get the truck on some dirt.

Gatsma

Adventurer
Thank you ********! All good answers to my questions!
Sometime in the near-to-distant(keeps it wide open, huh?) future I'm thinking to build a mostly-ON-road truck based on a 2WD Isuzu which has a much stronger frame than the Fuso. I would still build a subframe about as strong as yours to "protect" the trailer coach I'd put on it from ANY flexing which would probably wreck the trailer coach.
I wonder if ATW makes those springs for Isuzus? They'd probably help even for all-highway driving. Thanks again!

Gary

Gatsma

Adventurer
Just thought of something- if the subframe is as stiff as you say, I wonder how it would work to eliminate the subframe springs altogether, just bolt it down solid. It would then totally stiffen the truck frame to allow the suspension to work by itself.
This is a all shooting in the dark, but makes one wonder.
Either the whole works stays rigid, or it all flexes, but I would bet not much at all! That subframe looks STRONG!
Anyway, just some food for thought.

Gary

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Gary -

You really need to isolate the camper from the chassis on a Fuso FG. If you hard mount to the chassis and don't let the chassis flex all the forces will be concentrated at the end of the subframe and there will likely be a failure at that point or you will find that the subframe isn't as rigid as you thought and will flex and break your camper. The forces will find the weak spot and something will eventually give.

Gatsma

Adventurer
OK! Even a "bridge truss-strong" subframe like yours can't quite overcome the flexible-flyer FG frame. I suspected that, but put an alternative in my above post as pure speculation. Thank you for confirming my suspicions!
Your subframe is probably the strongest I've seen, and looks like it would isolate your camper quite well. I guess I was just wondering if it was strong enough to "backbone" the FG frame besides, but it's just not worth risking your camper's integrity trying to find out. I sure wouldn't! Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94