Buckstopper's FG Build

Buckstopper

Adventurer
ATW Springs installed

The ATW springs, shackles, bumpstops and shocks are on the truck! The truck sits about 1.5" higher with the new suspension but the real difference is the amount of available suspension travel. Clearance is improved thanks to the combination of singles and suspension lift. About 10" under the diffs and 15" under the T case. Ride is very much improved.

Here is a teaser photo of the truck with new suspension and singles sitting on relatively flat ground.

IMG_1110.jpg

I will get the truck twisted up on the berm later this weekend and post some more photos.

Buckstopper

Gatsma

Adventurer
Lookin' GOOD, Buckstopper! Sounds like the new suspension will give much added flexibility, thereby relieving the truck frame somewhat.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018

Hi ********,

If you go to OX next year, please, please take some photos again like this to show before and after. The amount of articulation you will now have in the suspension should greatly reduce the forces twisting the chassis and also help keep your wheels on the ground.

BTW your wheel arches don't look like they've been trimmed back far enough to allow for the bigger singles. Usually the bottom of the plastic wheel arch starts above the black step. ......... ATW offers flared guards too.

Regards John

Last edited:

Buckstopper

Adventurer
BTW your wheel arches don't look like they've been trimmed back far enough to allow for the bigger singles. Usually the bottom of the plastic wheel arch starts above the black step. ......... ATW offers flared guards too.

Regards John

Fixed:
IMG_1142.jpg

Actually, I had the same concern and cut some more away last night after I took the previous photo. I then went out and did some flex testing and decided to cut more off and the photo above is the final product. I'll post some flex photos shortly.

Gatsma

Adventurer
********- Bad move posting that pic; now you'll have EVERY FG owner in your area wanting you to do an equally pro trimming job. Yeah- it turned out NICE! I doubt I could have made it so neat.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Flex photos with ATW suspension

Ok - My neighbors are pretty much convinced I am nuts for running truck up and down the bank of my side yard. I tried several spots to get the truck flexed to the point where the suspension was on the bumpstops on opposite corners and got close but couldn't get it all the way. Rear was touching but front still has a finger or two of space. Front right is on a stump on the top of a berm and left rear is on a stack of dunnage about 10" tall. (note photos are before the front arch cutaway shown in the previous post)

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

Subframe isolation works. Photo below is looking down the left side of the frame front to back from between the battery and toolbox (no I didn't climb under there - I just stuck my hand in and snapped a shot). My subframe is fixed at the rear and you can see 2 of the 3 spring isolators on each side of the frame. The chassis is free to flex the entire length. I didn't take a photo of the other side but the subframe was sitting on the chassis its entire length - no concentrated forces. I find it easier to think of the camper and subframe remaining level and the chassis dropping out from below as required due to the twisting motion. In this case the twist is caused by the left front wheel being the low point…a bit more and it would lift off the ground and be hanging.

IMG_1140.jpg

Front right bumpstop still has a bit more room:
IMG_1128.jpg

Last edited:

Gatsma

Adventurer
Would you say that the suspension is now doing more of the "work" than before? It looks like the frame is still flexing(as expected), but maybe not as much. The springs look like they're flexing more compared to earlier pix. Would you agree?
Gotta love those BLUE springs!

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Couple more photos

I tried to get a shot of the frame twist but didn't get a great one. There is no way I was going to crawl under there the way is was perched on the bank. Here is one that gives an idea of the amount of rotation.

IMG_1124.jpg

This shot shows how the chassis rotates over its entire length. Look at the front bumper gap from right to left then look at the cross body tool box compared to the cab and then look at the camper compared to that tool box. The entire truck is flexed. Now think of the concentrated forces if a rigid sub frame was hard mounted to the chassis. The twist would all take place right behind the cab which is already the most loaded part of the chassis because of the heavy engine and transmission loads as well as cab mounting loads. Conversely, imagine if the relatively fragile camper was hard mounted to the flexible chassis. It would probably fail at the tiedown locations. Rest assured that the weak spot would rapidly become very obvious.

IMG_1132.jpg

Note that I don't have a pass through between the camper and the cab so it is fixed it at the rear. This was a recommendation from the Mitsubishi dealership and some truck body manufacturers that I talked to noting that this is how dump bodies and tankers are mounted. If there is a pass through you would would need a really flexible connection to accommodate this much movement so the obvious solution is fix it at the front and let the rest float. The rear fixed point probably amplifies the perception of the flex when you compare my truck to an EC or ATW camper which both I believe use a fixed front mount (EC and ATW please correct me if I have that wrong).

Hope this helps explain the mystery of how these trucks work and why it is so important to isolate a camper mounted to them.

Buckstopper

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Would you say that the suspension is now doing more of the "work" than before? It looks like the frame is still flexing(as expected), but maybe not as much. The springs look like they're flexing more compared to earlier pix. Would you agree?
Gotta love those BLUE springs!

Springs are doing a lot more work. I can feel it in the camper when I walk around in it. There was very little movement with the stock springs. The good news is that is why i still have the rear camper jacks on the camper - I usually put those down when camped but now those will likely be down all the time.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
If I remember correctly, neither use any fixed mounts.

Interesting. I guess that would allow the camper body to fully float. I was concerned that it would kind of flop back and forth while cornering or on uneven corrugations. Do they use the same spring rate for all the isolators? I would imagine that the bolt length would be the same.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Well its been a while since I update this and a lot has changed so time to do it! I posted in the Pop-up camper section that our camper was hit by a hit and run driver when we are on our way home from Overland Expo West 2017. The short version of the story is that the camper was ultimately declared a total loss by the insurance company. Hallmark in the past had shown no interest in building a flatbed specific version of their product but that has changed. After many months of working through product development and then constructing what is now the first of its kind product I took delivery of my new camper the end of May. I will post more detail about the camper in the popup camper thread. I'll discuss the renovation to the truck that I have been doing all winter to get ready for the camper here.

First - here is the end product in comparison the the end of the road for the old camper:

fullsizeoutput_524.jpeg

and here's the new one:

IMG_0072.JPG

And from the rear:

IMG_0075.JPG
So, what's changed?

New camper is 13' long (roof) and the floor is 8' so the overhang is 60% of wheelbase for my friends in Austrailia! (Well I cheated a little bit...the bed and camper are 60%. The steps stowed as shown are in excess of that. In USA nobody cares how far your rear end hangs out so it's all good.

To accomplish this I moved the bed back to the 13' point so the camper sits all on the bed. The old one had 2' hanging out and the waste tanks hung below the camber behind the bed. The bed has been shortened to 8' long and the front bulkhead is gone so the bed is the same size as the footprint of the camper.

The bike garage is a separate deck but it sits on the same subframe that supports the main flatbed. The main reason for this is that it was easier to do that then extend the rear of the old bed.

The new bumper is now attached to the frame of the truck instead of the camper jacks and camper. Its hollow to store long skinny things...(not what you think).

No jacks on the new one because that's what got hit before. You can't hit 'em if they aren't there!

The wood doors on the bike deck are made of teak that I salvaged from a building we remodeled over 20 years ago and has been kicking around my shop waiting for the right project. This is the world's first Fuso Woody!

The aluminum tunnel box is the same one but its moved back a few inches to give a bit more room for the spare tire and jerry cans which is all new. The spare weighs as much as I do and I always worried that it would kill me if it fell while I was wrestling it down so I built a swing arm that supports the spare and pivits down with a cable and winch. I can now stand safely out of the way with a wireless remote control and raise or lower the spare without lifting anything! My back feels better already.

Odds and ends: New ham radio and antenna. New backup camera on the license plate frame and another camera that is wireless that I can mount at various locations as needed. If I need to spot myself through a rock garden I can locate and aim that camera at wheel level to see what I am doing.

Relocated air compressor and air tank in the subframe and ran lines to both sides of the truck.

Last but not least, the camper has no grey water tank for the shower.
there is just a 3/4" hose fitting hidden behind the door for the cassette toilet. If we are camped where we can let that drain on the ground we hook up the 6' piece of garden hose in the rear bumper to that and let it rip. If we are in a campground where that is frowned upon I built a tank into the subframe under the camper out of plastic drain pipe left over from my shop build. It works it way from the back right corner of the bed (look carefully at the photo) behind the tool boxes to the front off the subframe then goes through the frame to the other side and back the left rear corner of the truck. There is a valve there and hose fitting that I can use that same length of hose to dump at a dump station.

Still to do: Add some tool boxes behind the rear wheels. They will be shallower that the existing ones so nothing hangs down below the bumper. Needs to be big enough to store my little BBQ. Need to sell my old ones first...both the 18" x 18" x 18" steel ones below below the bed but also the old aluminum 72" x 16" X 12" drop door boxes on top the bed in the "before" photo.

Buckstopper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94