Interview with former CEO of Wilis & Geiger

Memnon

The Great Lost Expedition Brand
http://www.vice.com/read/the-great-lost-expedition-brand-000212-v20n2

I used to be a fan of Willis & Geiger, the old expedition clothing company, before Lands End shut them down. I stumbled upon this fairly recent interview with Burt Avedon, the former CEO of Willis & Geiger. I’ve always wondered why Lands End, instead of just sitting on the name after shutting it down, didn’t just sell it to someone else. Burt reveals that they got more than 48 bids from major quality companies, but LE purposely mothballed it to keep from being embarrassed if it became successful. Seems like a useless waste of brand with tons of history and esteem.

He also made a highly astute note that a company has to be headed by people in tune with the brand’s essence and heritage. Something I think is lost on the many other companies that have tried to ape and imitate W&G's image..

Ramjet

Explorer
I read this awhile back. I was amazed at how much the other companies did everything they could to keep the brand from coming back. There are still a few companies out there that have a since of heritage. But they are a dyeing breed.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I still own several W&G bush jackets, except I'm now afraid to wear them since they can't be replaced. Pathetic.

You can get exact copies of W&G clothing from Lost Worlds, but it will cost you.

evilfij

Explorer
Lost Worlds? Can I get a link?

W&G khakis are amazing. Everything was built to last. I wish I had more money back then so I could have afforded more.

I need to go dig up all my old catalogs from the mid-late 90s. At $40-50 per it pays to be a hoarder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste