Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: used car lot at Earthroamer

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader

Default used car lot at Earthroamer

Two used XV-LT models are on the lot at Earthroamer this morning for your shopping convenience. ER says there is a 6 month wait for delivery of a new XV-LT, which costs about $240,000.

2005 XV-LT, F450 chassis, 42,000 miles, $175,000
    Trade-in on 2008 XV-LT. Banks six-pack.

2004 XV-LT, F450 chassis, 34,000 miles, $160,000
    Looks like the ER demo model. New engine?

See http://www.earthroamer.com for details.

Chip Haven

If my tears were dollars...
    Member #203

Adventures in and out of your vehicle: AMERICAN ADVENTURIST

Shoot, what a deal! I'll take both!

*cough *sniff yeah right
    Dave & Yoshi
    The Adventure Duo
    2003 Sportsmobile EB 7.3 PSD
    1997 Landcruiser 80 Series Collectors Edition
    2005 Suzuki DRZ400s
    Tread Lightly! Trainer | Manufacturer of the Trasharoo

Is it just me but who actually affords ER vehicles? I love the Jeep version but $100,000, I don't know how you would finance one of these, let alone insure it for what it's worth.

I can see this conversation with the insurance company.

me- "I want to insure my new Jeep Wrangler"
    IC- "Okay, what did you pay for the vehicle?"
    me- "$100,000"
    IC- "Are you trying to insure 3 of them?"
    me- "uh...no... why do you ask?"

Quote Originally Posted by xj_mike
    ...who actually affords ER vehicles?
    The kind of folks who have to get an ER to stay away from their trailing paparazzi team. The kind of folks who don't finance them. The kind of folks who can pay a helicopter to follow them in radio distance on an expedition with a mechanic in case one is needed, but just out of sight so they don't actually intrude on the wilderness experience. The kind of folks whose staff read ExPo, but they themselves don't need to.

Those otherwise invisible folks who inhabit Richistan.
    Bill - K7WCC - 2004 GMC Envoy
    Build: http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=202

... those who don't spend their days reading forums wondering which truck to buy.
    Bill Green
    GDE 317
    "Follow your bliss" ~ Joseph Campbell, mythologist

Default Re: who & how

Quote Originally Posted by xj_mike
    Is it just me but who actually affords ER vehicles? I love the Jeep version but $100,000, I don't know how you would finance one of these, let alone insure it for what it's worth.
    Just like any other Class C RV. The actual cost of financing and insurance depends a lot on your history and where you live but, overall, the ER is not that out of reach to many people who would hardly be considered wealthy. The question is more what vehicle they want to spend their money on and if they can use it enough for its intended purpose to justify the investment. I would love to have an ER but would feel really bad looking at it sit in the driveway while I go about my mundane life. A cheaper rig I can use for other things when I'm not exploring (which is most of the time) makes more sense for now. Life is full of compromises.

The vast majority of big EarthRoamer owners write a check...

Remember, 1% of the country is considered "rich", which is 300,000 people.

The JP is actually pretty obtainable. If you bought one for 100,000 and put 15k down, then did an RV finance (7%) for 10 years, the payment would be $986. For the DINKs, that is easy money, and only 25k more than a new Range Rover or G-Class.
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal
    D1 | LJ78 | LR4 | MKIII | J8 | G-Wagen | Range Rover Classic | TE630

Default Who can afford one?

I think the new ER Jeep is quite reasonably priced if you want one, will use it and lose the BS about being able to build it cheaper yourself.I deal with yacht builders and boat owners all the time.The ER while not quite on par with the european truck builders is a lot closer to yacht contstruction then your average Jayco.Good stuff costs and while it may be out of your reach, it may only be so because you have rationalized something cheaper as being acceptable or it is acceptable for your needs.I am hardly wealthy and am the sole breadwinner in my home but it has never prevented me from owning exactly what I wanted.I simply save for what I want, dream about it in anticipation and never look back once I own it. Everybody makes compromises in life, I have chosen not to own something unless it is absolutely the one I want, it simply means that sometimes I have nothing until then, no big deal!
    John H.
    1970 Mercedes Unimog
    2004 F150 Heritage Supercab
    1974 Holiday 17' Travel Trailer
    It's not about the truck and it is not about the distance traveled. Get out there with whatever you have, meet people and see things. Push the envelope of your comfort zone and live.

Quote Originally Posted by 762X39
    Everybody makes compromises in life, I have chosen not to own something unless it is absolutely the one I want, it simply means that sometimes I have nothing until then, no big deal!
    Great statement!
    1994 RRC LWB
    1974 RHD Series III 109 - sold
    Current projects: www.seedshop.com www.mmacrue.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast