used car lot at Earthroamer

haven

Expedition Leader
Two used XV-LT models are on the lot at Earthroamer this morning for your shopping convenience. ER says there is a 6 month wait for delivery of a new XV-LT, which costs about $240,000.

2005 XV-LT, F450 chassis, 42,000 miles, $175,000
Trade-in on 2008 XV-LT. Banks six-pack.

2004 XV-LT, F450 chassis, 34,000 miles, $160,000
Looks like the ER demo model. New engine?

See http://www.earthroamer.com for details.

Chip Haven

ExpoMike

Is it just me but who actually affords ER vehicles? I love the Jeep version but $100,000, I don't know how you would finance one of these, let alone insure it for what it's worth.

I can see this conversation with the insurance company.

me- "I want to insure my new Jeep Wrangler"
IC- "Okay, what did you pay for the vehicle?"
me- "$100,000"
IC- "Are you trying to insure 3 of them?"
me- "uh...no... why do you ask?"

:oops:

TheRoadie

Explorer
xj_mike said:
...who actually affords ER vehicles?
The kind of folks who have to get an ER to stay away from their trailing paparazzi team. The kind of folks who don't finance them. The kind of folks who can pay a helicopter to follow them in radio distance on an expedition with a mechanic in case one is needed, but just out of sight so they don't actually intrude on the wilderness experience. The kind of folks whose staff read ExPo, but they themselves don't need to.

Those otherwise invisible folks who inhabit Richistan.

geodasher

Observer
Re: who & how

xj_mike said:
Is it just me but who actually affords ER vehicles? I love the Jeep version but $100,000, I don't know how you would finance one of these, let alone insure it for what it's worth.
Just like any other Class C RV. The actual cost of financing and insurance depends a lot on your history and where you live but, overall, the ER is not that out of reach to many people who would hardly be considered wealthy. The question is more what vehicle they want to spend their money on and if they can use it enough for its intended purpose to justify the investment. I would love to have an ER but would feel really bad looking at it sit in the driveway while I go about my mundane life. A cheaper rig I can use for other things when I'm not exploring (which is most of the time) makes more sense for now. Life is full of compromises.

Scott Brady

Founder
The vast majority of big EarthRoamer owners write a check...

Remember, 1% of the country is considered "rich", which is 300,000 people.

The JP is actually pretty obtainable. If you bought one for 100,000 and put 15k down, then did an RV finance (7%) for 10 years, the payment would be $986. For the DINKs, that is easy money, and only 25k more than a new Range Rover or G-Class.

762X39

Explorer
Who can afford one?

I think the new ER Jeep is quite reasonably priced if you want one, will use it and lose the BS about being able to build it cheaper yourself.I deal with yacht builders and boat owners all the time.The ER while not quite on par with the european truck builders is a lot closer to yacht contstruction then your average Jayco.Good stuff costs and while it may be out of your reach, it may only be so because you have rationalized something cheaper as being acceptable or it is acceptable for your needs.I am hardly wealthy and am the sole breadwinner in my home but it has never prevented me from owning exactly what I wanted.I simply save for what I want, dream about it in anticipation and never look back once I own it. Everybody makes compromises in life, I have chosen not to own something unless it is absolutely the one I want, it simply means that sometimes I have nothing until then, no big deal!

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
762X39 said:
Everybody makes compromises in life, I have chosen not to own something unless it is absolutely the one I want, it simply means that sometimes I have nothing until then, no big deal!
Great statement!

TheRoadie said:
The kind of folks who have to get an ER to stay away from their trailing paparazzi team. The kind of folks who don't finance them. The kind of folks who can pay a helicopter to follow them in radio distance on an expedition with a mechanic in case one is needed, but just out of sight so they don't actually intrude on the wilderness experience. The kind of folks whose staff read ExPo, but they themselves don't need to.

Those otherwise invisible folks who inhabit Richistan.

Do I sense a bit of class envy here?
Scott: By the way, if 1% of the population is "rich" (whatever that means) then it's 3,000,000, not 300,000. That's a lot of people!
The Roadie: I was 4 wheeling in a Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 probably before you were born. I couldn't afford a Warn winch for $300 back then till I had the rig for 4 years, they didn't have locking diffs etc. in 1970. I've wanted a Mog for 35 years, now I finally have one, after 21 years of education and 29 years of work. And I don't hire helicopters to follow me, I carry my own tools and spare parts.

Charlie

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles