Expedition Rigs Encountered

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Date: 14 March 2008
Chassis: unknown, front engine, front wheel drive
Comments: Sorry, didn't get the chance to shoot the other end of the underside of the chassis. No idea what this thing is.

2008-03-22-SD870%20IS-IMG_3395.jpg

2008-03-22-SD870%20IS-IMG_3396.jpg

2008-03-22-SD870%20IS-IMG_3397.jpg

2008-03-22-SD870%20IS-IMG_3399.jpg

2008-03-22-SD870%20IS-IMG_3400.jpg

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
None of your photos are showing up right now. Just those darn tiny blue squares. I'll check back later. Hope its on my end so that others can be checking on the sweet rides from around the world if I can't.

Michael Slade

Untitled
I love this thread. I have been thinking of nearly this exact vehicle for about 2 weeks.

dodgecamper1.JPG

dodgecamper2.JPG

Is there any company in the states that's making a bed-replacement camper? I think I've seen them before, but haven't gotten close enough to see if they're made in the USA.

I'd like to put one onto a lightly lifted crew-cab Chevy with a Duramax in it.

I also really like this idea too:

4DIIkSkopqLQn7dspd6XozpHh656nzI10300.jpg

It seems that you can find a Fuso pretty cheap, even the 4wd version and then find your camper of choice, probably pretty cheap too and bolt them together. It looks a bit ghetto, but I really like that truck.

Michael Slade

Untitled
Yesterday was a banner day for seeing lots of rigs. On I-15 I saw:

1. Southbound near Ogden a SWEET looking tan 60-series Landcruiser. Safari snorkel, ARB, 35-inch swampers, high-mounted rear tire carrier, made me turn my head and follow it as it passed me while I was heading north. VERY clean looking...made me drool.

2. Southbound Ford Sportsmobile, dark green or blue or brown or black...something metallic

3. Southbound BIG brown camper, based on the Chevy Kodiak C8500 crew cab. Had a large very square rear box on the back, with a rear-mounted spare tire and a door. Really long, I was trying to pass it and didn't get a very good look at it. Looked well done.

4. A couple of nice new Ford van camper conversions.

Nothing special, just struck me as odd that I was seeing all these trucks in one day.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Michael Slade said:
Yesterday was a banner day for seeing lots of rigs. On I-15 I saw:

1. Southbound near Ogden a SWEET looking tan 60-series Landcruiser. Safari snorkel, ARB, 35-inch swampers, high-mounted rear tire carrier, made me turn my head and follow it as it passed me while I was heading north. VERY clean looking...made me drool.

Sounds a lot like the BJ60 I saw in Calgary on the weekend with Manitoba plates. Headed to Cruise Moab maybe?

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Expedition Trailer!?

Found on the back side Lockhart Trail Moab Utah......No idea how they got it there.

Fred
Explorer 1

Michael Slade

Untitled
lowenbrau said:
Sounds a lot like the BJ60 I saw in Calgary on the weekend with Manitoba plates. Headed to Cruise Moab maybe?

Yeah maybe...funny thing is I could see though all of the windows and he was alone. Seems that whenever I go somewhere far away in my truck the windows are always blocked by all of the crap.

Very clean truck. Looked good at 75mph going the other direction for the 3 +/- seconds I saw it. :D

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Explorer 1 said:
Found on the back side Lockhart Trail Moab Utah......No idea how they got it there.

I wondered the same thing when I saw it in May of '06.

I saw a newer Earthroamer coming down Hwy 191 into Moab on Monday 4/28. A white one on a Ford F550 cab & chassis. Couldn't grab my camera fast enough while behind the wheel.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Mc Taco said:
None of your photos are showing up right now. Just those darn tiny blue squares. I'll check back later. Hope its on my end so that others can be checking on the sweet rides from around the world if I can't.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I wasn't aware of the problem. We've been mostly offline for the last few months and when we've had bandwidth I haven't had the time/bandwidth to spend much time on the forum.

I reloaded that last batch and they look OK now.

theMec

Adventurer
kcowyo said:
I saw a newer Earthroamer coming down Hwy 191 into Moab on Monday 4/28. A white one on a Ford F550 cab & chassis. Couldn't grab my camera fast enough while behind the wheel.

Hah! I saw a newer white Earthroamer in Whole Foods parking lot in Boulder, CO (not Boulder, UT/WY/MT) on 4/25. They were getting food for a trip. It must have been new to them because it took them 15 minutes to park the thing. I was on the other side of the lot watching the whole thing. After they parked it, I snuck on over to take a closer look. Pretty nice. :)

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
unfortunetly I did not have my camera but yesterday I was leaving the canoe shop and a sweet 79 series land cruiser fully kitted out was heading down the road. It had all the typical expo outfitting with a drop in the box camper. It was sporting germany plates and based on the stickers i would say they were on a rtw trip. Couple driving looked to be in thier 50s. It was a really nice set up the diesel was hummimg right along!

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
dhackney said:
Date: 14 March 2008
Chassis: unknown, front engine, front wheel drive
Comments: Sorry, didn't get the chance to shoot the other end of the underside of the chassis. No idea what this thing is.

2008-03-22-SD870%20IS-IMG_3395.jpg

2008-03-22-SD870%20IS-IMG_3396.jpg

2008-03-22-SD870%20IS-IMG_3397.jpg

2008-03-22-SD870%20IS-IMG_3399.jpg

2008-03-22-SD870%20IS-IMG_3400.jpg
Looks like the remains of a Citroen Mehari, which was based on the Citroen 2CV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles