Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Expedition Rigs Encountered

Default Expedition Rigs

More from Germany

WOW!!
    Does anyone know about the white one, bottom row, 2nd from the left?
    It looks like it could be built on a Unimog 404?
    A great size for both the cab and camper.
    WOW again!
    The cab is from a VW/MAN LT truck and you're right about the Mog frame, but not a 404, a diesel 406.

Quote Originally Posted by dhackney

That's quite a collection of parts. Hard top looks like its off a CJ5 or CJ7, tum looks like a M38, doors are totally custom. Taillights are out of a 80's ford pickup. Good knows what the suspension is but it's coil. That's a REAL mutt of a truck. I like it...any more info?
    97 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    86 Toyota 4Runner For sale
    Truck Build Thread
    Trailer Build Thread
    Grimmys Adventure Blog

Quote Originally Posted by oonimog
    The cab is from a VW/MAN LT truck and you're right about the Mog frame, but not a 404, a diesel 406.

Are you sure? The wheel base is too long for a 406 but its definately not a 404 either because the hubs are wrong - it does have 404 wheel steps but the hubs are diesel drum brake hubs, it also has 20x11 drum brake rims. Unless the perspective is completey wrong I am going with a 416, a 406 is simply too short for a decent camper and from looking at the gap between the battery box and the back wheel.

The white mog in the top right photo in the first post on this page (post #41) has the same wheel base and its definately a 416.
    You don't inherit the world from your parents, you borrow it from your children.
    --------
    1979 Unimog 416 Expedition Camper
    1974 Unimog 421
    2004 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Double Cab, Cummins Turbo Diesel
    2006 25' Airstream International CCD
    2009 Harley Davidson

Sugarloaf, Boulder, CO

Default Expedition Rigs

Actually, Rob is right, it probably is a 416, the wheel base is a bit long for a 406. My Mog has a 3700 mm wheel base so most other Mogs look short to me...

Here are some rigs encountered in north Africa. A pair of Italians were crossing the Tunisian desert in the WWII Jeep, alone! They appeared to be having some difficulty and when I asked them if they needed any help, they said only if I had a replacement transmission bearing...

Quote Originally Posted by oonimog
    .......needed any help, they said only if I had a replacement transmission bearing...
    oonimog, a BIG thanks for all the great photos you have been posting.
    Some interesting rigs there, will lots of visible 'ideas'.

So did you have a transmission bearing for a WWII jeep in your stash?

These expedition Mogs are way cool. The 6x6 and hard side popup make me want a unimog.... stop it, no more please.....

Having spent more time in the back of mogs that in the front, who has AC installed ??
    Bay Area
    ------------
    2011 5.7 Grand Cherokee Overland (Love it)
    47 CJ3A
    TDI Jetta
    Kimberly Kamper Explorer (King Kamper)

Quote Originally Posted by OS-Aussie
    These expedition Mogs are way cool. The 6x6 and hard side popup make me want a unimog.... stop it, no more please.....

Having spent more time in the back of mogs that in the front, who has AC installed ??
    I do. With a 3.6kw 1cyl diesel generator to run it. I don't buy Earthroamer's theory that solar + batteries will run AC very long and my calculations support that.

Charlie
    Unimog U500 with Unicat camper; diesel BMW X5 35d, diesel BJ40 Landcruiser and diesel M37

Default Gen

Quote Originally Posted by charlieaarons
    I do. With a 3.6kw 1cyl diesel generator to run it. I don't buy Earthroamer's theory that solar + batteries will run AC very long and my calculations support that.

Charlie
    I agree, and I've been looking at 3.5KW diesel gens - which one do you have?

I agree too, AC and batteries don't mix. Is the Earthroamer AC a 12v system or 110V running from the inverter? From the text on their website it seems to be a 110V system.

For the cab all square cab mogs (1300 type) and onwards can have factory AC without having the roof top unit, for the earlier ones you have to get creative. For the camper a 110v roof top unit or split unit is the way to go. I don't have AC and the previous owners lived in it for 18 years all over the world without it.

Rob
    Last edited by Robthebrit; 02-13-2008 at 01:14 AM.
    You don't inherit the world from your parents, you borrow it from your children.
    --------
    1979 Unimog 416 Expedition Camper
    1974 Unimog 421
    2004 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Double Cab, Cummins Turbo Diesel
    2006 25' Airstream International CCD
    2009 Harley Davidson

Sugarloaf, Boulder, CO

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast