Lanterns

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Lynn said:
I think the Rayovac I have is probably closer, since it uses twice the juice (8 Ds) and has twice the tube (two folded tubes v. Coleman's two straight tubes), but even then it doesn't quite put out the light of a gas lamp.

For us, however, that's a suitable compromise for the convenience and durability.
Like I say, the one I have is pretty old (and even discontinued I think) and so it would not surprise me to find they're better now.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
spressomon said:
The one thing the ARB has impressed me over the Sears stick I had for my garage light (floro 120V) is it's resistance to cold temps. The ARB works better in the old than any other floro light I have. Maybe someone with a bit more electrical knowledge can offer up an explanation.
I would guess it is all about how fast/efficiently you heat the electrodes.
I would also guess that the ARB also uses more energy at lower temps, you just can't get something for nothing.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I carry a 1970's white fuel Coleman lantern on every trip. Comes in a protected red case and never (knocking on wood) has broke on me. I have a spare set of mantels in the cruiser and I tend to use it on every trip.. but now with the trailer and its own 12 volt lighting i might not use it as much as before. I still will continue to bring it on every trip. I don't think i could leave it behind. It would be like leaving my kid at home. It just has too much history. If the point comes where i need to trade space.. then it will stay home then.

BigAl said:
How do the flourescent lights do in the cold?

Had our 12v ARB adventure light on for 12 hours on the last trip with temps near freezing. No problems whatsoever. Don't know if thats cold enough or not for you.. but it's all we'll likely ever need.

Last edited:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Gave up on the White gas gear and went to propane.

As far as breaking globes. I bought the hard case for mine and never been an issue.

My issue with battery powered is money and waste. For what that 8D cell electric costs in batteries I can run 10 times as long on propane even is I do have to replace a couple mantles and have 2-3 times the light and if I refill my bottles or use a bulk hose I have no waste in the form of heavy metals in the battery. Yes rechargables woudl lower the waste and cost BUT at some point those batteries will have to be disposed of.

The Propane with a little venting will also bring some warmth to a tent.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Grim beat me to it, I was pondering what the environmental cost of all of those batteries was as I was reading thru this thread.

I have a propane Coleman (with a broken globe!) and a Coleman fluorescent that's probably the same vintage as Dave's, though it uses either 12 VDC or it's two 6 volt lantern batteries. The fluorescent hasn't moved off the shelf in years. Last night I was looking at the Partner Steel stoves & noticed a lantern with a stainless mesh globe. I recall seeing cheep versions of the globe at Big 5 sometime ago, but never could figure out which one would fit my lantern.
Hum.... might have to see what mcmaster has in SS mesh.....

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Grim Reaper said:
My issue with battery powered is money and waste.
This is the main reason I still use the white gas lantern, just a lot less waste. I have the fluorescent light for inside the tent, I'm not as brave as you about taking a fuel lantern inside.

dennisuello

Adventurer
ntsqd said:
Grim beat me to it, I was pondering what the environmental cost of all of those batteries was as I was reading thru this thread.

I have a propane Coleman (with a broken globe!) and a Coleman fluorescent that's probably the same vintage as Dave's, though it uses either 12 VDC or it's two 6 volt lantern batteries. The fluorescent hasn't moved off the shelf in years. Last night I was looking at the Partner Steel stoves & noticed a lantern with a stainless mesh globe. I recall seeing cheep versions of the globe at Big 5 sometime ago, but never could figure out which one would fit my lantern.
Hum.... might have to see what mcmaster has in SS mesh.....

Let me know what you find. I'd keep the propane lantern I have if I can get by without the glass.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Multi-Fuel Coleman Alternative

Petromax (aka BritLyte)

2543Petromax_Lantern.jpg

cowboy roscoe

UCO Candlelier Candle Lantern

My vast preference is for the candle lantern. The light is warm pleasant, burns for about 10 hours on 1 to 3 candles and does'nt make a wilderness deafening roar.

Admittedly, I dont' read much at night when I camp and if I were to do so would use an LED head lamp. For any kind of work effort (cooking etc.) I think LED head lamp is the only practical light source. For wide area, general lantern light, it is candle power for me...

dennisuello

Adventurer
dennisuello said:
Let me know what you find. I'd keep the propane lantern I have if I can get by without the glass.

I got replacement globes for my lantern to use for mild family camping, but here's a lantern I will be getting for this summer's camping season.

Brunton Lucy
Lucy_L.jpg

RHINO

Expedition Leader
ntsqd said:

yup, thats my big hang-up. i dont like the thought of buying and disposing of all those batts. i use the white gas lantern while cooking, glass is easy to get but i have only broken one in over 20 yrs, i use a LED headlamp for walking around and stuff and i set out solar landscape lights around the camp for general battery free lighting.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I love my old school Coleman Lanterns............. and I have several! I now tend to use my Coleman Lanterns more just during the cold winter months. They put out some good warmth.

But now that White Fuel has gone up to almost $6.00 bucks a gallon.........I find myself plugging in my emergency lantern more and more. I carry this with me in case I break down on the highway. It has red and amber flashing lights for an emergency on the road....and I can plug it in and put it up on top of my roof for an Alert. It also has a very loud screaming alarm you can switch on. I figure I could use that in the middle of the night if I hear a noise outside my truck while sleeping.

It has a flourescent light that works perfect in camp.

http://www.familydefense.com/lantern-alarm.htm

LANTERN.JPG

LANTERN-FLUORLIGHT.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz