2000.super duty mild build.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I recently sold all my projects and bought a 2000 crew cab short box f250 5.4.

I have very mild plans but its still got to live threw MOAB in June. so before then i Ned to redo the steps and get some beef under it.
IMG127.jpg

98dango

Expedition Leader
The truck has a 2" leveling kit and i am hoping to run 285 or 315 and go big. I am worried about 315 (35") and 3.73 gears with a 5.4. The truck still has to be my daily driver and tow my 26' trailer.

I had my wife get me a 12k warn winch to start things off. Also plan on cold air intake and a free flow exhaust. I hope to pick.up a little power and a bit of mileage 12mpg is rough.

BCHauler

Adventurer
I had 315s on 16x10s on my 01 for a time that only required pulling back the front fender liners. Under any kind of articulation they will likely rub though. I had 4.30 gears and I didn't like the power sap from the larger tires, so I wouldn't be surprised if you really don't like them with the 3.73s. Those modular engine like higher revs for their power band.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I know a gear change is needed. I may just go with some 285 for now. i really like the look of the 35" on a full size but mileage and power it is not like it has much power to spare.

mdmead

Adventurer
I have a '99 V-10 with 285s and 4.30 gears. (Manual trans too.) I was surprised how much performance and mileage the 285s zapped compared to the stock 265s. I actually thought I might see a slight mileage improvement at speed since the rpms would come down, but that certainly wasn't the case. I'm not planning on going back to 265s, but then I'm not going to 305s or 315s as I had once planned either.

UHAULER

Explorer
I have an 02 f350 7.3 with 3.73 and went from 265's to 295's and definitly noticed a difference in performance. sometimes I think about 315's but the practicle side says leave it alone, it will go where I want to go with what I have.

I actually took out the f350 rear blocks and lowered it with f250 blocks. Being a short bed supercab it was too raked out.

DSCN0145.jpg

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
315s look good under a Super Duty.

Even better, they can get you around off road.

...but you notice it at the pump. $$$:Wow1:$$$ A Super Duty has a great payload capability, but they are heavy, even empty.

I got a 7.3 and I'm re-gearing from 3.73 to 4.30 with air lockers this summer. With a gasser and a 35" tall tire, you'll want 4.56 gears. You just have to weigh the cost v benefit. My truck is a daily driver, but I'm retired Army, I don't have to drive an hour each way to work every day. I'll pay the fuel cost if it gets me that off road capability. I let my wife have her "Girls' night out"... she tolerates my big diesel "man-cave".

Everybody happy, happy, happy.

Now if I can just talk her into a winch... (that I said I wouldn't need with my lockers...)

98dango

Expedition Leader
My soon to be wife can't and doesn't say much she has plenty of money in her toys as well. But this is my daily driver with the tiny 5.4. I may just hold out deal with only going a few places on our honey moon. I will have plenty to do I think.

mdmead

Adventurer
You just have to weigh the cost v benefit. My truck is a daily driver, but I'm retired Army, I don't have to drive an hour each way to work every day. I'll pay the fuel cost if it gets me that off road capability.
-
Great looking truck!
-
I had to really think about what I use my truck for. As much as I would love the look of a set of 315s on my truck, realistically, I don't need them and they would detract from my truck's ability. The 315s (or bigger!) make a lot of sense if your truck is used off road a lot. For me, I use my truck more to tow other toys to an off-road location and to haul an 8' cab-over camper. And honestly, these trucks are very capable in stock form and are only limited by their girth and break-over angle. (Okay, and weight too! They don't float on top of the snow like a Toyota!)
-
With my last set of tires, I did switch to a M/T (Pro-Comp)... more for looks although they do perform well off-road... but I'll likely go back to an A/T next time as the M/Ts are getting obnoxiously loud as they wear out.
-
To the OP, as a daily driver, your best bet might be a nice set of stock sized mild A/Ts and a nice front receiver mounted winch. Preserve the gas mileage!

bftank

Explorer
-
Great looking truck!
-
I had to really think about what I use my truck for. As much as I would love the look of a set of 315s on my truck, realistically, I don't need them and they would detract from my truck's ability. The 315s (or bigger!) make a lot of sense if your truck is used off road a lot. For me, I use my truck more to tow other toys to an off-road location and to haul an 8' cab-over camper. And honestly, these trucks are very capable in stock form and are only limited by their girth and break-over angle. (Okay, and weight too! They don't float on top of the snow like a Toyota!)
-
With my last set of tires, I did switch to a M/T (Pro-Comp)... more for looks although they do perform well off-road... but I'll likely go back to an A/T next time as the M/Ts are getting obnoxiously loud as they wear out.
-
To the OP, as a daily driver, your best bet might be a nice set of stock sized mild A/Ts and a nice front receiver mounted winch. Preserve the gas mileage!

one of my good friends here in town has this mentality and in some ways it is what i wish i had done. his truck is a 2000 f150 with stock size a/t tires and a set of chains for it. gets great mileage takes it every where he wants to go, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking etc. ultra reliable set up. not a bad way to go at all.

Joeprunc

Observer
Thats a good looking truck. I always loved that model superduty.
I'd say drive the truck to Moab and play around. See how limiting your tires are...is it just street tires that are limiting you, or is it actually clearance. Do you need MTs or will ATs work.

If gas mileage is a concern I 'd guess is 285s will fit the bill and sticking with a well known AT tire. 33" tall and you can fit them on the stock rims, 285 and wider you run the risk of wearing your tires out prematurely with a narrow rim. If you do want the wider foot print, but still stay with 33s you can do 305/70R16 tires (but again you will probably need at least 8" wide rims to run those).

Personally I'm working on getting my truck more trail worthy, but its hard to justify replacing the brand new set of tires the dealer put on just before they sold it to me. When I do upgrade I will be doing 285s (possibly rims) Goodyear DuraTracs. They seem to get fairly good reviews, and it seems like they work better in mud than some of the other ATs on the market. I had 285s on my old 1500 Silverado and they were the perfect size in my eyes. MPG did drop a bit, but they were big enough to get me where ever I wanted to go.

98dango

Expedition Leader
That is where I'm at. I have brand new 265 that my soon to be fatherinlaw bought one week that i let him barrow the truck.Thanks but not what i would have bought.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If you know somebody that would swap you tires and wheels for a week, maybe you could test 35s and see how bad your power and fuel economy would suffer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz