Plans for a 2010 F-150 Supercrew - Ultimate family camper

peepers

Observer
It pained me to sell my fully locked, well built FZJ80 for a more family friendly vehicle when our first born was on his way (think side curtain airbags, anti roll technology, a lower center of gravity - the 80 was on 35's - better steering, shorter breaking distance, the list goes on and on and on). I'm not here to debate whether or not the Ford is a safer vehicle for the family, what's done is done. I can say this, I love my Ford. We now have our second (and final) kid and we can all fit comfortably in it with enough gear to go anywhere we want.

Here is where my plans come in and hopefully help from this community.

We live in Austin - Central Texas. I want to be able to take the whole family on week long, self supported camping trips because we are so far from everything. To do this, I need to assure the wife that she, our 8 month old and are 3 year old are safe and will be comfortable for the duration of the trip and that our chances of being stranded are minimal due to the fact that the truck is fairly new and we are well prepared. Think Bg Bend, Moab, Marfa... Those kinds of places with the family.

Here are some initial thoughts >>
  • I can't have too much installed in in the bed of the truck that is not easily removable because I race my dirtbike on weekends and we have no room to store a trailer at the house. Therefore, what ever goes in the bed, I still need to either:
  • (A) Leave room so I can put my dirtbike in back while having camping gear or whatever in the back.
  • (B) Make sure that what ever is in there can be taken out easily when I do need to put the dirtbike in.
  • (C) This prevents the use of a heavy fiberclass type cap that would be t difficult to put on and take off.
  • Will most likely need a winch with appropriate low profile bumper as we will be a single vehicle and getting stuck would suck.
  • Thinking Engel or other type fridge in the bed of the truck for the obvious reasons.
  • Compressed air, on demand. My wife and kids hate driving on tarmac with low air in the tires - Thinking about the extreme air
  • Secure, dedicated, easily accessible for the 120QT cooler.
  • Secure, dedicated space for My Camp Kitchen (box that measures 28 5/8” wide by 14 3/4” deep by 18 3/4” high).
  • Power inverter so we can run all our "necessities" like laptops, iPads, breastpumps (true), nebulizers (for my sons asthma) and so on...
  • Dual battery set up in case the fridge or winch or inverter kills the primary.
  • ARB tent and awning - mounting solution needed.
  • Slight lift to stop rubbing on newly purchased 32" BFG A/Ts and to handle the truck better while fully loaded

It will be a multi year project. I will prioritize (I think) in the following manner:
  1. Rear bed solutions - fridge, places for cooler, camp kitchen, storage, dirtbike-able, etc.
  2. Dual battery system
  3. Suspension
  4. Air & winch
  5. Inverter & other alternate power needs
  6. Rooftop tent & Awning

Feedback, suggestions and help needed!

Thanks in advance.

trae

Adventurer
I'm in a similar place I think. We're looking at 2010-2011 F150s right now.. I'm thinking of adding a tent trailer to the mix though - hook up and go. It'll include it's own battery, fridge, etc so packing effort will be minimal. Is a tent trailer still to big for you to store at the house?

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Just my .02, but how about go ahead with the camper shell. Weather proof, lockable storage is REAL nice. A family brings a lot of gear. Maybe you could find room for a small trailer for the dirt bike, or maybe a bumper carrier?

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Why not a hitch carrier for the Dirt Bike??? Add a Leaves or Airbags would help with extra weight off the rear. Onboard air goes with the dirtbike, airbags and other needs.

Cheers,
jorge

X2 on the shell. You'll be glad you have it. For the dirt bike, my brother-in-law and I used to use his Harbor Freight trailer (Que the laughter). While not exactly up to the cool factor, that little thing followed us all over the deserts and mountains of the West with 2 bikes on the back. At the end of the trip, we just tipped it up against the side of his garage out of sight. And it won't break the bank. Just sayin'. :sombrero:

peepers

Observer
Just my .02, but how about go ahead with the camper shell. Weather proof, lockable storage is REAL nice. A family brings a lot of gear. Maybe you could find room for a small trailer for the dirt bike, or maybe a bumper carrier?

This is also my daily driver. Don't want to ride around with a camper shell on it. Also, no place for storing a camper shell when not in use. It won't fit in my parking garage at work with one on either.

peepers

Observer
best option is expo trailer

You guys have had me researching a bunch of topics >>
  1. Camping shells - can't do it
  2. Hitch mount moto carrier - won't do it
  3. M101 Trailer research
  4. Caping trailer research
Now I am spending all my time in the expedition camper trailer section. A blessing and a curse! Since I dont have the money to get an already outfitted trailer such as the adventure trailer's chaser http://www.adventuretrailers.com/chaser.html :

1_chaser3.jpg

I think the best option might be to start with a Manly Economy and take it from there.

http://www.manleyorv.com/trailers/morv-original.html

trailer-original.png

You see my thinking was all wrong. My wife won't allow a motorcycle trailer to sit around in the garage but she sure will allow a family camping trailer to sit around in the garage (+ when there is a roof top tent mounted on the trailer, it will provide a good "fort" for the kids)

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The camper shell is no taller than the cab, so if the truck fits, the camper shell fits. I used to race moto-x on the weekends too. Marriage and a family put an end that. Not worth getting hurt real bad for a ten dollar trophy IMO.
This is also my daily driver. Don't want to ride around with a camper shell on it. Also, no place for storing a camper shell when not in use. It won't fit in my parking garage at work with one on either.

wcdu

Observer
phydough,

I don't have the awesome Raptor, but I am starting on my 2013 F-150 build. Brief history is that I have moved from 2500 HD diesel crew cab with everything on it. My new goal is to have something smaller, lighter, etc. How do you feel about the extra weight on your front end? I was thinking about the box hitch in front and storing the winch in the bed. Yours looks just great so I am re-thinking this issue.

Peepers,

No kids still around but 2 bird dogs and wife make most trips. Consider the Jumping Jack tent trailer. Works in any weather, tows great, price is right and I use it with my UTV's.

FWIW

Steve

phydough

Observer
wcdu,

I really don't notice the added weight. As soft as the Raptor is sprung, it didn't squat more then 1/8", yes I measured. It may dive more under hard braking, but not detrimental to the handling. I have steel cable too, more weight savings with synthetic rope.

Last edited:

kevint

Adventurer
I have a 2011 F-150 Supercrew and travel with 2 teenage daughters. I live in Houston so I'm in the same boat on location only 2 - 3 hours further from most of the locations you are want to enjoy. Some thoughts:

1) Fridge: I have the ARB 50 qt. which I carry in the crew cab. The two teenagers ride on the 60% portion of the 60/40 rear seats. The single seat behind the front passenger seat is folded up and the ARB fits perfectly in that location. We gave the choice to the teenagers: A-Share the 60% bench and have the fridge in the compartment (means the occasional soda, piece of fruit or maybe even an ice cream sandwich) or B-spread out in the cab and let the fridge ride in the bed of the truck. They feel like, even with the fridge, the crew cab is so roomy, they prefer to have it up front.

When I hatched this plan, I took some measurements in the truck and looked at the published measurements of the ARB. I thought the arrangement was going to be tighter than it ended up being. If this option is at all attractive to you, go by a 4-Wheel Parts and see if they have a 50 quart ARB you can test fit in your truck. This approach was simplified by the fact that my truck has a 12v receptical on the back of the center console so I can plug the fridge in there. Sometime the girls knock the plug loose so we check it frequently. Someday, I hope to wire an anderson plug under the front passenger seat but no hurry.

I do occasionally travel with the fridge in the bed of the truck. I bought a 7 pin to 12v receptacle adapter that I plug into the 7 pin receptacle on the back of the truck, although as factory configured it is only powered when the truck is running. No problem if stops are only an hour or so.

We recently did a 9 night trip from Houston, through Southern New Mexico and back. We did 1 - 3 nights per location and moved around a bit. We did some meals on the road in restaurants and we tend to snack for lunch when camping because we don't want to spend a lot of time or energy on lunch. My wife hates additional groceries on a trip. I think it's a matter of principle for her. We did the entire trip as described on what was in the ARB. I think we bought an extra quart of milk along the way but that was it. There are tons of posts on EXPO regarding how to minimize your need of fridge space to make long trips possible.

2) 120 Quart Cooler: In addition to the fridge? Wow!

3) Winch: I want a winch. Problem is, there isn't much to hook to at Big Bend. There are few trees except in the mountains but the fun roads are in the desert. Maybe an occaisional rock if you are lucky and digging a hole to bury the spare or a pull-pall is iffy based on location.

4) Bed Security: I like the Bakflilp that has already been mentioned although for my truck I chose the Extang Solid Fold. Each have the pros and cons. If your tailgate locks then you are pretty secure although a motivated thief with a little time and some privacy could certanly defeat either one. Whatever you choose, plan to seal around the tailgate and any other air leak points you can find. Not so much for moisture/rain but for dust. A single trip down the Old Ore Road in Big Bend will cover the contents of your bed in dust.

Edit: One other thought I forgot to mention:

5) Auxillary Battery: There is absolutely no room in the engine compartment of my 2011 truck. I don't want to put it in the crew cab or the bed. I've considered a frame mounted battery box underneath the truck which seems to be common in van conversions.

I'l be very interested to see your solutions. Hopefully some will be helpful to me.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Expoffroad

I have a warn winch mounted like that in my 2009. I really like it. I added daystar pucks up front and it works great.It has been like this for 4 years and no problems.I have used it about 5 or 6 times.
phydough,

I don't have the awesome Raptor, but I am starting on my 2013 F-150 build. Brief history is that I have moved from 2500 HD diesel crew cab with everything on it. My new goal is to have something smaller, lighter, etc. How do you feel about the extra weight on your front end? I was thinking about the box hitch in front and storing the winch in the bed. Yours looks just great so I am re-thinking this issue.

Peepers,

No kids still around but 2 bird dogs and wife make most trips. Consider the Jumping Jack tent trailer. Works in any weather, tows great, price is right and I use it with my UTV's.

FWIW

Steve

hdhp

F150 Fan!

I have a Black 2010 F150 FX4 SC. Love it! Here is a list of "Truck Stuff" I have on it...

Black Window tint

1.5" Leveling kit

Black MOTO METAL 20X10 Wheels

305x20x50 General Grabber AT2

Black Jason Topper (Same height as roof)

Home built Bed storage /Sleeper (Thank Expedition Portal for some cool ideas!)

CAI and SCT tuner From Mike at 5Star Tunes (Truck Rips Now!!)

Dynomax Ultra Flow Cat back Exhaust

I also use to Race MX I know what you mean about getting hurt and the $5.00 Trophy! lol

Currently I am getting design ideas to build me a Off Road/ Expo Trailer. With my cap set up with the sleeper now I need a place to put /hual water, gas, propane, generator etc. etc.
This stuff is kind of cool to build your self and see what other people have built or bought for their trucks..
I do plan on going to some MX races but just to camp out and watch the YOUNG GUYS race! It is safer that way!
Maybe some one could school me on how to post pics on here so I can shear my enjoyment with you guys and girls...
Also I'm not on here all the time but I do try to check it once a day..
Good luck with your build Peepers!

HDHP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94