120V in a Trailer, Should I?

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I also posted this question in the Power sub-forum but thought it would get a wider audience if I posted it here too:

I'm building a custom "teardropish" trailer with a 12v deep-cell system. In it, I'm debating whether to put a power inverter and a 120V receptacle in the trailer. I already have a power inverter in my tow vehicle that really doesn't get used much when camping (mainly to pump up our mattress pad which we won't use anymore).

My question is: who has a 120V receptacle on their trailers, and has it been worth having?

Thanks guys!

4x4x4doors

Explorer
My teardrop doesn't have a permanently mounted inverter for 120. I do have shore power connections for those times when its available to run a couple of things. What I have used 120 for most is a battery charger.

I think if I were doing it over again, I'd still run the wiring/plugs for the shore power with appropriate inside plugs but still wouldn't bother with an inverter.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I have awesome 120v halogen lights that will light up a football field on the back of my camper. It has a circuit breaker box and ground fault recepticals in it. I have a great microwave wave oven and can power anything with the built in Onan 5500 watt generator. Only problem is that I never and I'm mean never use it or need it. In fact when I get time I'm pulling it all out and will sell the generator. My gadgets charge thru a cigarette plug and it also powers the fridge. What do you need 120 VAC for? Let me know because after 6 years of having it I have not found a need for it.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
4x4x4doors, I am going to be running shore power to charge the battery, I never thought of setting up a connection for 120v use while hooked to shore power. I'm going to look into that option.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I have a 700w inverter inside up in the nose, and can power up the rest of the system either with shore power or the generator.

Now obviously the generator has power outlets on it, but I try to run it at least 25' away from the trailer.

IMO I'd rather have it and not need it...then need it and not have it. (besides..how you going to curl your hair?) I basically ran the 110 to a fused switch to turn it off and on, and line continues from there to a GFI, then to an exterior outlet.

The 40 amp IOTA converter plugs into the inside outlet on the face of the panel..if a picture would help I could get you one.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
IMO I'd rather have it and not need it...then need it and not have it...

And that's the conundrum that makes this a hard decision! I do have an 800watt in the Jeep, in easy access, but I'm just wondering if the "extra" inverter inthe trailer is worth it! The cost is a non-issue as I would repace the space taken up by the ~$100 of the inverter with a second 100ah battery.

What to do?!!!!!:yikes:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
And that's the conundrum that makes this a hard decision! I do have an 800watt in the Jeep, in easy access, but I'm just wondering if the "extra" inverter inthe trailer is worth it! The cost is a non-issue as I would repace the space taken up by the ~$100 of the inverter with a second 100ah battery.

What to do?!!!!!:yikes:

Well when you put it like that...I'd much rather have the extra 12v battery power for the trailer, and use the inverter in the truck as needed...hands down.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I have quit putting inverters in the trailer. If I need 110 I use my 2000 watt Honda. My trailers are wired for 110 through Marinco power inlets, also the solar comes in through a Marinco power inlet. The 110 goes directly to the Progressive Dynamics electrical box with 8 breakers, 12 12volt fused set up. The system charges the battery, maintains it when in storage. I run my solar power directly to the Morningstar Digital Controller, that carries the trailer as the load. I have a constant knowledge of where the battery is, what is needed and when. I really do not need 110 in the trailer, but mommy does, for her TV, DVD, curling iron, hair dryer and what ever that 2 hours she wastes every morning. Put it in and always have it available. Not that much money nor time to do it. Mommy happy camper, you happy camper.

Bob

jim65wagon

Everything electrical in our trailer is 12v (fridge, lights, TV/DVD, party lights and 8 12v outlets), everything electrical in our previous years camping was 12 volt. I carry an inverter in the truck and have never used it. We did plan and even began to run the wires for a couple of 110 outlets in the kitchen, but decided at the last minute to not bother with it. We have 110 shore power fed to a regular outlet that the Progressive Dynamics charger plugs into, so we do have one outlet in the tonguebox. If we're somewhere we have shore power, there is always access to other nearby electrical outlets. If we're running the generator, it has extra outlets - we carry both a 25 foot and a 50 foot extension cord.

Of course my wife keeps a low maintenance 'do during camping season, that eliminates the need for a hair dryer and curling iron.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Thanks for all the input guys. Kristy, my wife, sounds just like Jim's wife; low maintenance. Combine my experience with camping the last couple years with all your experiences, I think I'm going to forego the 120v. I think I'd also like the idea of 200ah of battery power in lieu of the inverter.

Once again, thanks for all your help folks. Your experience and advice is really driving me to be successful on this project.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I used my invertor last year, for charging things that I didn't have a car charger for. I also have 120v LED rope lights I use on the trailer. It is an inefficient way to run them I am sure, but 12v LED rope lights are ridiculously overpriced.

I have an onboard charger, and generator too. I do plan to add solar to top off the battery during the day after using the lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94