$40 BaoFeng UV-5R Dual-Band Handhelds

Dazrin

Adventurer
I have 3 of the standard UV5Rs and two have upgraded antennas. I also had a mag mount antenna I used on the jeep with excellent results. Most of the trailing letters are simply aesthetics. My understanding is that the basic internals and software are pretty much the same, with minor tweaks. Most of the changes will be appearance only.

And since this thread has popped back to the top, I'll take a quick moment to mention the mounts I make for these radios.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/121298-Baofeng-UV5R-quot-Builder-Brackets-quot

Since the other forum isn't as well traveled as this I thought I would ask this here too (besides someone might be interested in the sale).
Does anyone know if the UV-5R V2+ with an extended battery works in this bracket? The extended battery version is on sale at Woot today ($35/unit + shipping) but I don't want to get it until I know it will work with a good mounting solution.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I have a UV5R and the extended battery (Mod. BL-5L) and the form factor and charger base looks identical to the radio in that Woot listing, to me. And certainly close enough for that aluminum bracket.
Find out the extended battery model in the woot listing and you'll know.
Besides the whole model name series being overall the same.

hamkit_zps3abd8148.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
It's a pistol bag. The elastic loops for magazines serve well for bundling / organizing various power cables and adapters and the pistol pouch area holds the charger base etc. The whole thing makes a great kit bag for a handheld radio.
They're pretty well made, good materials, good zipper, good stitching and they are inexpensive. I had an extra laying around and it worked great.

Currently $10 - http://www.lapolicegear.com/moc-diplomat-pistol-case.html

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Yeah. That's what I really wanted to do originally, and have them in the backside of the bracket. The issue for me is that the material is too thin to sink a FHCS (flat head cap screw) flush. 14ga is ~0.070" thick. You cant even sink a #4 flush into it. It takes ~0.100" of material to sink a #6 which I used on a piece of wall art I made. RAM doesn't list the thread size on that link, but I know their 1" balls with female threads are either 1/4-20 or M6 thread. Those are much larger still and would protrude into the radio cavity. This would then rub on the plastic and could eventually rub into the battery material (not a good thing).

Like summerprophet and prerunner1982 I wanted a mount for the unit while in the vehicle. I am fortunate that I have CAD software on my computer at work, and a friend with a CNC laser at his shop. I chose 14ga since he runs it almost daily and could fit it in between other parts. 14ga is stout for this bracket but not thick enough to flush a bevel head in. At least not one large enough to securely handle the weight in offroad conditions. I had the first couple cut as a starting point and gave a couple to friends to also paly around with. I imagined the bracket as the starting point, with good geometry to hold the radio securely using the clip and allow for easy in and out. I kept the bottom open since I have a couple standard UV5R's and one with an extended battery.

OK, sorry for going off on a tangent. I'm still not 100% on where mine will end up in final form, but the RAM system is high on my list.

View attachment 205148

3m VHB tape... done....

spikemd

Explorer
I just picked up a Baofeng UV-82HP with three power levels, 1-3-7 watts. With an upgraded antenna, it should be handy on the trail. I have a Puxing 777 as well which has worked fine for the last 3 years. These cheap radios are great for hikes at base camp, spotting, sitting in a restaurant waiting for people to arrive, or giving to people on the trail to listen without a license. I had a vehicle mounted antenna connected to the puxing for over a year and it worked great until I mounted a mobile unit in the rover.

So far, I like the form factor of the UV82 over the UV-5R radios. A little less clunky and more substantial. I will be playing with it this weekend in the Sierras. Got it programmed with CHIRP but need to input some more repeaters. I also upgraded the ducky to a 15 inch antenna.

DaveNay

Adventurer
Add me to the list of UV-5R owners. I just bought one for listening at my desk at work. I plan to install a Kenwood TM-V71 in the truck though.

Oh....and I don't take my Technician test until September.

cactusjk

Explorer
Is it best to get a separate extended battery?
I just picked up a Baofeng UV-82HP with three power levels, 1-3-7 watts. With an upgraded antenna, it should be handy on the trail. I have a Puxing 777 as well which has worked fine for the last 3 years. These cheap radios are great for hikes at base camp, spotting, sitting in a restaurant waiting for people to arrive, or giving to people on the trail to listen without a license. I had a vehicle mounted antenna connected to the puxing for over a year and it worked great until I mounted a mobile unit in the rover.

So far, I like the form factor of the UV82 over the UV-5R radios. A little less clunky and more substantial. I will be playing with it this weekend in the Sierras. Got it programmed with CHIRP but need to input some more repeaters. I also upgraded the ducky to a 15 inch antenna.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Ive got the Baofeng UV-B5 and a Baofeng GT-3TP with the extended battery (very similar to the one you ordered).
Both radios have been working great for me.
Hope you have the same success. :beer:

I'm willing to risk the 45 bucks to find out.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I bought one also, but the shipping, per Amazon is now at least 2 weeks! I also took the three year Amazon warranty for $4.40!

See what happens...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior