$40 BaoFeng UV-5R Dual-Band Handhelds

mike the welder

Adventurer
Personally, having owned a Baofeng for a year or so, I would spend the extra money for a basic "name brand" HT such as Yaesu, etc. They are not that much more, and aren't "disposables" with no factory or retailer support like a Baofeng. After all, if you are going to go to the trouble of studying for the Ham exam and want a transceiver that will work when you need it most, isn't it worth it to buy a quality radio?

I agree, I have an Icom and my buddy has a baoeng. I guarantee if we both dropped them from an 8 foot ladder my Icom would be the only one still working, plus its waterproof and I can get it fixed in the U.S. The baofeng seems to be a good disposable radio to throw in the glove box or go bag or to loan to somebody.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Ok, I have two questions for the whole Boafeng family. I am a fresh recruit to the HAM world and this would be my first radio as I get my license.

1. Of all the various UV-5R? models, which one is actually the most recent with the latest firmware? I really like the UV-5RC, but maybe there is a better 5R

2. Now there is the BF-F8HP. Is it worth the extra money?

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
This comment from an amazon review might just sum it up.

"The primary difference in performance between a standard UV-5R and the BF-F8HP unit is the better antenna that ships with the BF-F8HP model. Swap antennas between the two units and suddenly the lowly (but cheaper) standard UV-5R has a stronger signal into the distant station. Several folks on the Miklor website have already discovered this fact.

Again (as stated in my review) the BF-F8HP isn't a bad radio (assuming you get one without the Beep problem), but like K. Hubbard has stated, for the "slight" improvement in power (at more than double the price), you're still better off simply buying a better antenna with your standard UV-5R.

In the end, it's your money, so if you want a 8 watt radio (on VHF only, it's 6 watts on UHF) buy the BF-F8HP at $62 and change. Just understand that other users will have a standard UV-5R, a better antenna, and an extended battery for the same price (or less).

So after your smaller 1800mAh battery is dead (pushing out 8 watts), my standard UV-5R with a 3800mAh battery will still be running along just fine, talking to the same folks as you did with your 8 watt radio.

Link to said review and comment.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3FBLS...lance&nodeID=1077068&store=car#wasThisHelpful

jerdog53

Explorer
Like the review stated. Get the cheaper radio and an $18 to $25 aftermarket antenna from Comet or Dimond and you'll be golden!

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Cool. Now onto the which UV-5R version question. I like the UV-5RC? Thoughts on this new version. Ok, I'm guessing it's new, but don't know.

41G7oF6cvOL.jpg

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
I have 3 of the standard UV5Rs and two have upgraded antennas. I also had a mag mount antenna I used on the jeep with excellent results. Most of the trailing letters are simply aesthetics. My understanding is that the basic internals and software are pretty much the same, with minor tweaks. Most of the changes will be appearance only.

And since this thread has popped back to the top, I'll take a quick moment to mention the mounts I make for these radios.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/121298-Baofeng-UV5R-quot-Builder-Brackets-quot

sgregg108

Adventurer
Anyone have any experience with the other Baofeng radios? UV-82 or the F8hp and how they compare to the 5R? I'm looking to get an entry level radio for emergencies on the trail.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Baofeng GT-3TP Mark III is a fine dandy little radio (supposedly has a much better receive chip), and comes with both AC and DC adapters for the charging base. They seem to be built pretty rugged too. I have no complaints, especially for ~$50.

sgregg108

Adventurer
Baofeng GT-3TP Mark III is a fine dandy little radio (supposedly has a much better receive chip), and comes with both AC and DC adapters for the charging base. They seem to be built pretty rugged too. I have no complaints, especially for ~$50.

Thanks for the feedback, do you have a vehicle antenna? Or just run the handheld one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4x4junkie

Explorer
I've tested it on my vehicle antenna, however I mostly just use it as a handheld since I already have a vehicle-mounted unit.

On the vehicle ant, there was actually very little spurious reception or intermod (the kind that bursts at random through the squelch), however it did seem to show a decrease in it's overall sensitivity (like a wide-band noise was interfering with it).
Where I'm at in RF-polluted L.A. Co. pretty much any HT will have issues with any antenna other than a rubber duck (and I've seen some have issues even on a duck too). So overall it seems about as good as other HTs that I can tell.

sgregg108

Adventurer
I've tested it on my vehicle antenna, however I mostly just use it as a handheld since I already have a vehicle-mounted unit.

On the vehicle ant, there was actually very little spurious reception or intermod (the kind that bursts at random through the squelch), however it did seem to show a decrease in it's overall sensitivity (like a wide-band noise was interfering with it).
Where I'm at in RF-polluted L.A. Co. pretty much any HT will have issues with any antenna other than a rubber duck (and I've seen some have issues even on a duck too). So overall it seems about as good as other HTs that I can tell.

Sounds good, im in OC so gotta be the same way for rf pollution.

Do you have any insight on setting up the antenna in your rig?

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Anyone have any experience with the other Baofeng radios? UV-82 or the F8hp and how they compare to the 5R? I'm looking to get an entry level radio for emergencies on the trail.

I had the UV82X 2M/220 & it was totally worthless

receiver lacked any sensitivity, full of RFI on the ducky & an external antenna made things worse

I have 6 videos on youtube somewhere complaining about it, though I heard great things prior to the purchase

dstock

Explorer
I just picked up the UV82HP during Amazon's prime day sale. Studying for my Technician's exam so it will be a bit before I can report back with a meaningful review but feels pretty solid at first glance and the majority of the reviews on Youtube were good ones.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Sounds good, im in OC so gotta be the same way for rf pollution.

Do you have any insight on setting up the antenna in your rig?

I have a Larson NMO-150 for VHF, and a similar (but homemade) antenna for UHF (connected through a duplexer) on the rig I initially tried it on.
For S&G's, I also have one of these little guys and tried it on that. Though I still observed a very slight sensitivity decrease of the receive, it was a lot better than on the NMO-150, probably due to it's unity gain. IMO, I think that antenna actually complements a Baofeng radio real well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior