$40 BaoFeng UV-5R Dual-Band Handhelds

jerdog53

Explorer
There is a grab handle on the seat head rest on my LR3 that I strap it to with the external antenna cable running out the drivers side rear door and the mic cable attachment over my shoulder into my lap or clipped to the seat belt. I only plug it into charge when it needs it like I said before it will go three days with average trail simplex use before needing charging.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
How do you carry it in the vehicle. Do you use a CB mic mount, belt clip to visor...etc?

Has anyone used the Mic attachment?

I got the mic/speaker for mine, works really well. I like being able to keep the radio on my belt and hang the mic off on of my backpack straps when I'm hiking, etc.

sinestr

How do you carry it in the vehicle. Do you use a CB mic mount, belt clip to visor...etc?

Has anyone used the Mic attachment?
Here is a quick way I mounted my HT. Works good so far and is readily removable. I made a small mount for the magnet base antenna.
uploadfromtaptalk1411319182798.jpguploadfromtaptalk1411319220598.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
I see we have a new player in the HT game coming in with 8 watts.

BaoFeng BF-F8HP - BaoFeng's Only TRI-POWER (1, 4, 8 Watt) (USA Warranty) Dual-Band 136-174/400-520 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Transceiver, HT - With Battery, Antenna, Charger, and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MAULSOK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_eO6Bub0H9P6J3

Of course, ive been looking at these forever. Just ordered the uv-5r+ last week. Oh well, its was $55 for a two pack. I think they are a pretty decent little unit.

RobRed

Explorer
Firstly I'm not a HAM radio snob. I require them on my trips but I'm not a hardcore HAM enthusiast. I dont spend time trolling the repeaters talking about antenna calibration or weather in far off places.

On a few occasions I have recommended the Baofeng radios but, sadly 2 of the 3 UV5-R units I have purchased failed. On a recent Death Valley outing we had 3 or 4 others that had failed in some way. I have stopped recommending them.

Though well featured and capable here are a few things I've found;

- Mics die
- Software and programming flakey
- included antennas poor
- Audio quality TX or RX not nearly as good as mainstream Yaesu or Kenwood units.
- Freq Drift lending to the above
- intermittent power problems with chargers

Missing Features
- No on board DC port in the UV5R
- No real dual watch on the dual Band mode

A hundred folks will chime in and say they are great value blah blah but if they are not reliable then they could be free and still not worth it.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I agree on the missing features.

I replaced the mic and the antenna before I used mine, so it has been a solid performer. For the price I've been very pleased.

cactusjk

Explorer
Just picked up aBaoFeng BF-F8HP. Yes they are cheap and some break but it is nice to experiment before putting the big bucks down on a Icom or Yaesu.

binrat

Observer
While I went straight to an Icom, but I know a lot of locals who have BaoFang's with great success. I think that there has been QC issues at the factory, but for the $$ you can't really go wrong.

mtaylor

Observer
My Baofeng is in the mail to me. My hope is that me getting a ham will convince the people I wheel with to get them, and then it will be worth upgrading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online